IGNORED

HIGHWAY 18 - Slow Play Is Not An Option

Q.Q.Quillume
Note: This thread is 5020 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

...I've already had friends tell me that Peach is breaking that same rule by touching the ground in front of the ball before going behind it on

Don't believe your friends - they're wrong as you suspected. See Rule16.1

16-1. General a. Touching Line of Putt The line of putt must not be touched except: (i) the player may remove loose impediments, provided he does not press anything down; (ii) the player may place the club in front of the ball when addressing it, provided he does not press anything down; (iii) in measuring - Rule 18-6; (iv) in lifting or replacing the ball - Rule 16-1b; (v) in pressing down a ball-marker; (vi) in repairing old hole plugs or ball marks on the putting green - Rule 16-1c; and (vii) in removing movable obstructions - Rule 24-1.

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems thst everytime Rob & Charlotte come in last on a challenge there is no strike!
I wouldn't mine having a bet that they end up winning the whole thing!

Maybe I'm just a little Skeptical.

Driver: Taylormade R9
3 Wood: Cobra S 9-1
5 Wood: Cobra S 9-1
7 Wood: Cobra S 9-1

Irons: Taylormade r7 Custom Fit (SW-4)

Putter: Taylormade Rossa Monza Spyder

Balls: Titleist Pro V1x

It seems thst everytime Rob & Charlotte come in last on a challenge there is no strike!

Technically true, but if you think about it, on the last show, they didn't actually lose, they just showed up last at the final challenge- so they weren't given a chance to compete in it. Unlike the other show when they lost without receiving a strike. This time, they didn't have the opportunity, if they had been in the match play, they may have come back. So they didn't actually

lose the show. It's just a continuation until next week.

Don't believe your friends - they're wrong as you suspected. See Rule16.1

I remember a tour player used to do this as part of his routine. I can't remember who, but I think it was one of the old timers. It's probably where Peach picked it up.

Twitter - @rubofthegreen | Xbox 360 - zilegati

• Administrator
Unlike the other show when they lost without receiving a strike.

And actually, that "other show" they didn't lose either - they tied the Ashle* team, only to be further penalized more than the four strokes they were given.

I remember a tour player used to do this as part of his routine. I can't remember who, but I think it was one of the old timers. It's probably where Peach picked it up.

Nick Price.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

And actually, that "other show" they didn't lose either - they tied the Ashle* team, only to be further penalized more than the four strokes they were given.

Yea but they deserved it, I mean- it's hard for people to grasp, but this show is not just about golf... it's about the race just as much- & if they had been given the tie breaker after coming in 20 minutes after the Ash team, that would have been bad. All I'm saying is people shouldn't be whining about the Campbells not having a strike after loosing two shows because techincally they didn't lose two shows.

• Administrator
Yea but they deserved it, I mean- it's hard for people to grasp, but this show is not just about golf... it's about the race just as much- & if they had been given the tie breaker after coming in 20 minutes after the Ash team, that would have been bad.

Doesn't change the fact that they were penalized twice: four strokes for being in last and then an automatic "tie-breaker." May as well have just given them 4.5 strokes.

All I'm saying is people shouldn't be whining about the Campbells not having a strike after loosing two shows because techincally they didn't lose two shows.

No whining here.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Did anyone see the most recent TGC H18 commercial?

"A team will be eliminated!"

So I guess (unless they give out double strikes) Rob & Charlotte don't come in last on the next show.

And since Raul & Jameica are immune, that means either Parker & Andy, Peach & Jay, or Team Ash is done.

Hmmmmm.

In my opinion...this is a reality TV show. Its more about entertainment than how good of a golfer these guys are. If we were to take the race factor out of it...guarantee everyone would be singing a different tone and crying that the Ashleys are gone!

About Peach touching the line of putt...I had a friend who had that ruling called on him during a professional golf tournament thanks to his CADDY touching the line of putt and got 2 stroke penality...that was stroke play. In match play it is a loss of hole. I reckon not many people want to win that way but the rules of golf are the rules of golf. I don't think Raul was "crying" about it like some people are exaggerating. About their "high 5", I think they were just happy to have another immunity and weren't thinking about Peach and Jay. But I must agree with everyone...Raul and Jameica exude no personality in the show. It could be that they are totally boring people...or the way the GC is editing the show to make them as underdogs and make the viewers forget about them... until we see them in the finals???
The GC should have done that last leg differently...They should have given immunity to Jay and Peach for arriving first and let the other teams battle it out for the strike. The way they did it...there is no reward at all! Imagine battling on the road to arrive and find out you did that for nothing. And don't get me wrong. I love Charlotte and Rob, but what is a time penalty? Seems like the only 2 teams following the speed limit are the Carolina boys and Raul and Jameica so a time penalty can be made up by a little bit of speeding on the road! I found this show interesting in the beginning but now there are too many mistakes. It's the GC first time so lets all hope that they can get this show together and make it more fair for the future contestants.

Did anyone see the most recent TGC H18 commercial?

I am so in awe of your awesome computer savvy and your way cool little spoiler link. I didn't even know you could do that. Feel free to post some points on the Warrior Board.

Let's talk about the touching the putting line. What denotes the line? What if he played more break? Would he then still be penalized for touching the line? Shouldn't he only be penalized if his putt rolls over the spot he touches? I think the only way the penalty should be called is if he putts the ball and it goes over the spot he touches.

Let's talk about the touching the putting line. What denotes the line? What if he played more break? Would he then still be penalized for touching the line? Shouldn't he only be penalized if his putt rolls over the spot he touches? I think the only way the penalty should be called is if he putts the ball and it goes over the spot he touches.

Excerpt from "Definitions" in the Rules of Golf:

"Line of Putt The "line of putt" is the line that the player wishes his ball to take after a stroke on the putting green. Except with respect to Rule 16-1e, the line of putt includes a reasonable distance on either side of the intended line. The line of putt does not extend beyond the hole."

If the Golf Channel had let that infraction slide, they would never hear the end of it from the viewers, I've already had friends tell me that Peach is breaking that same rule by touching the ground in front of the ball before going behind it on

Totally agree,rules are rules.The losers didn't get pissed at Raul but were disappointed that they broke a rule that one of them knew about,i actually didn't know that rule either so a lesson learned here also.

aeroburner tp 10.5 stiff
superfast tp 2.0 3 wood stiff
Halo 25 and taylormade tp 19 degree hybrids
miura cb 202 and wedge
tp 52* wedge, tp 56* taylormade spider mallet putter

I am so in awe of your awesome computer savvy and your way cool little spoiler link. I didn't even know you could do that. Feel free to post some points on the Warrior Board.

Really? Sweet! Thanks Julie!

(Hey, is Armstrong still living in Austin these days?) "Spoilers" are key. I hate having things spoiled, and I would hate it even more if I spoiled something for someone else. To use them, just click this in the Compose Post thread, and type the spoiler info in between the spoiler tags: [ SPOILER ][ /SPOILER ]. You can also highlight the text you want in the spoiler box and then press the button. (Or you can just manually type the tags, but without the spaces I inserted above).

If he touches it as an intended putting line it's a penalty.

16-1. General a. Touching Line of Putt The line of putt must not be touched except: (i) the player may remove loose impediments, provided he does not press anything down; (ii) the player may place the club in front of the ball when addressing it, provided he does not press anything down; (iii) in measuring - Rule 18-6; (iv) in lifting or replacing the ball - Rule 16-1b; (v) in pressing down a ball-marker; (vi) in repairing old hole plugs or ball marks on the putting green - Rule 16-1c; and (vii) in removing movable obstructions - Rule 24-1. (Indicating line for putting on putting green - see Rule 8-2b.)

And under the Decisions, that includes walking on the line if it was done so intentionally (an even unintentionally if it improved the line):

16-1a/12 Player Walks on Line of Putt Q. A player walked on his line of putt. Did he incur a penalty for a breach of Rule 16-1a? A. Yes, if he did so intentionally. No, if he did so accidentally and the act did not improve the line.

Line of putt is defined as:

Line of Putt The "line of putt" is the line that the player wishes his ball to take after a stroke on the putting green. Except with respect to Rule 16-1e, the line of putt includes a reasonable distance on either side of the intended line. The line of putt does not extend beyond the hole.

EDIT: Sorry for the duplication. I type slooooooow.

• Administrator
Excerpt from "Definitions" in the Rules of Golf:

Right, and since he said "I want to hit it RIGHT HERE" (or whatever he said - something like that), there really was no doubt about whether that was "the line" or not, particularly given the "reasonable distance" clause.

Really? Sweet! Thanks Julie!

I don't know about Lance, I do know Anthony Kim is building nearby though...

I HATE spoilers! I can't tell you how much of the Olympics was ruined for us by NBC's OWN site! At least your spoiler is based on a preview, not blowing the actual results on the main page for us. I have a few theories on the blindfolded clam. My first is that it looks like one of those dopey black-and-white-hands-shaking logos. Or a humpback whale.

Note: This thread is 5020 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!