IGNORED

HIGHWAY 18 - Slow Play Is Not An Option

Q.Q.Quillume
Note: This thread is 5014 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The girls continued to be jerks.

Agreed on both counts.

I had been giving the girls the benefit of the doubt so far, but they continue to show their true colors. And then THEY are the ones who make the comment about how they didn't know this show would be so cutthroat. It wouldn't be if not for their tactics. And agree that the 4 shot penalty should have been the only assessment based on arrival time. There should have been a playoff for first place and also one for last place. They were basically penalized twice for arriving late. It's as if they're trying too hard to differentiate themselves from the Amazing Race, and making the wrong decisions as a result. Also, maybe it's me, but Jay's comment about "every boy's dream to hit a car with a golf ball" was a little weird. In all my years of playing golf, I've never had the urge to try to hit a car... not even a little bit.

Twitter - @rubofthegreen | Xbox 360 - zilegati

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...However, it was said that GC was very insistent that driving rules must apply and penalities will be given for breaking them...

I'm operating under the assumption a cameraman (or camerawoman) is riding "shotgun" in each of the SUVs; if that's the case is the cameraman/woman also a "Highway 18 'enforcement officer'"?

It would seem that weaving back & forth between lanes to block contestants in trailing SUVs would be a violation, at least of the spirit of the rules if not an actual traffic violation. Since my house is roughly 98 miles south of Goldsboro, I'm now officially pulling for the good ol' boys, y'all.

Also, maybe it's me, but Jay's comment about "every boy's dream to hit a car with a golf ball" was a little weird. In all my years of playing golf, I've never had the urge to try to hit a car... not even a little bit.

It's officially not just you; the thought had never crossed my mind.

Would have been interesting to see, after the final challenge was over and they were deciding on the "tiebreakers", if the host had said "Ashley/Ashleigh and Rob/Charlotte, you both tied, but since Ashley and Ashleigh drove like maniacs to get here, they have been assessed penalty strokes and therefore have been eliminated from the competition".

Would have been interesting to see, after the final challenge was over and they were deciding on the "tiebreakers", if the host had said "Ashley/Ashleigh and Rob/Charlotte, you both tied, but since Ashley and Ashleigh drove like maniacs to get here, they have been assessed penalty strokes and therefore have been eliminated from the competition".

Exactly, that would have been perfect. And then they started crying when they end up being tied, get over it, Charlotte and her brother had a 4 stroke penalty for just 2 holes and you couldn't beat them. Time for the Team Ash to go. I'll have to admit to being amazed by Raul's par and Jamecia (choke) bogey. I had to turn away from the TV every time Raul went back, yikes! But the guy performed under pressure.... jmoc

"Courage is fear holding on one minute longer." Gen. Geo. S. Patton, 5 June 1944

Grom Desert Camo
Dymo HL Driver and 5 Wood
GC Hybrids 3-5 i15 irons 6-pw Tour-W 50*, 54* and 58* wedges White Hot XG Hawk Freak Neo GPS

Exactly, that would have been perfect. And then they started crying when they end up being tied, get over it, Charlotte and her brother had a 4 stroke penalty for just 2 holes and you couldn't beat them. Time for the Team Ash to go. I'll have to admit to being amazed by Raul's par and Jamecia (choke) bogey. I had to turn away from the TV every time Raul went back, yikes! But the guy performed under pressure.... jmoc

To be fair, the girls only had a 2 stroke advantage over Rob and Charlotte. But still, your point is well taken. This is a golf challenge, and the girls have hardly performed in that regard. Which I think is why they are so cutthroat in the other aspects of the game. They feel like they need to make up time in between challenges to make up for their being outmatched when the real challenges come around.

It's officially not just you; the thought had never crossed my mind.

here cars = O.B. not a good thing, never want a car

9.5* Hibore XL Tour
15.5* 3dx 2-iron hybrid
DCI 990B 3-PW
Vokey Oil Can Spin Milled 56* and 60*
White Steel 2-ball Gamer

I'm operating under the assumption a cameraman (or camerawoman) is riding "shotgun" in each of the SUVs; if that's the case is the cameraman/woman also a "Highway 18 'enforcement officer'"?

I'm pretty sure that there isn't someone in the car operating the camera, more or less its a mounted camera, probably on the passenger's visor, most likely the size of a 'lipstick camera', something like this:

I'm pretty sure that there isn't someone in the car operating the camera, more or less its a mounted camera, probably on the passenger's visor, most likely the size of a 'lipstick camera', something like this:

Actually, I believe that there are 2 TGC people. Definitely one in front passenger seat (camera), and also one in rear passenger seat. At various points in the show, miscellaneous limbs of the "ride alongs" have been in the frame - usually when the teams are scrambling to get out of the car quickly.

I had always assumed someone at least in the front seat as well. The camera seems to be under intelligent control. Not sure about the back seat though, simply for the fact that I don't see two cameramen per group as being necessary. Also the teams have gotten into the habit of pulling their clubs up into the back seat with them when approaching a challenge. I don't know how much room there would be in that back seat with 2 people, 2 sets of clubs and a camera. Of course, they can fit a lot of clowns in a Volkswagon, so who am I to say?

I wonder as a matter of strategy why they haul around a full set of clubs, full bag, etc. to almost every challenge. It may be a rules requirement. But if not, it seems they could bag-sprint faster and still be sufficiently well armed for most challenges if they stripped their gear down to something like Driver, 3 hybrid, 5i, 7i, 9i, 56*SW, Putter, and use a cheap, lightweight tube bag. The way this is shaping up, speed is often as important or more than precise golf, so the bigger gap between clubs would be compensated for by the streamlined load. It may be, on the whole, too risky. But it seems to me that if any halfway decent golf hustler can beat you with just his 5 iron, it might be worth the weight savings for these guys to deal with not having a club for every 10 yards. Just a thought.

Nike Sumo 5000 V2 (9.5°) & SQ2 3W (15°) | TaylorMade Rescue Mid (19° & 22°) | Mizuno MX-23 4-PW | Callaway X-Tour (56-13°) & X-Tour MD (60-11°) | Bettinardi C-03

"I don't care how good your iron play is, if you can't drive it in the fairway you might as well break 'em up or use 'em...

Also the teams have gotten into the habit of pulling their clubs up into the back seat with them when approaching a challenge. I don't know how much room there would be in that back seat with 2 people, 2 sets of clubs and a camera. Of course, they can fit a lot of clowns in a Volkswagen, so who am I to say?

I wondered the same thing. But watch how they pull their clubs up. If you were alone in the back seat, wouldn't you lay the bag(s) across your lap with the bottom of the bag laying in the other seat. That way, you slide out the door and pull the bag with you. But, IIRC they always have the bags in their laps, making it more difficult to get out. Very awkward. Also, I swear I remember seeing an arm in the back seat.

I still can't figure out why they would need a second person though.

...Why don't you watch the show and then send me the questions you want to ask the contestants...OR post your questions here and I'll check back to see what you want me to ask.

Golfgal,

Maybe you could ask one of the contestants if there is a camerman/camerawoman and/or another Golf Channel person in the SUV as the contestants are driving from place to place? Inquiring minds want to know! Tx/Q.Q.Q.

I'm digging the Charlotte as well. Very cool chick. The Ashley/ighs seem to be in the middle of a serious mental breakdown. Wonder if they'll pull it together on the next episode.

Nike Sumo 5000 V2 (9.5°) & SQ2 3W (15°) | TaylorMade Rescue Mid (19° & 22°) | Mizuno MX-23 4-PW | Callaway X-Tour (56-13°) & X-Tour MD (60-11°) | Bettinardi C-03

"I don't care how good your iron play is, if you can't drive it in the fairway you might as well break 'em up or use 'em...

Note: This thread is 5014 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!