IGNORED

I feel like my swing is inconsistent..

Note: This thread is 5750 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice/help here. I feel like my swing is rather inconsistent based upon the fact that my contact isn't always great, I shank the ball more often then I should, and it just doesn't feel to natural. I've taken a few lessons, but it seems as though i slowly but surly get away from what I learned and do things "my way" which probably isn't the most mechanically sound way of doing things. So upon hearing that, my question to you is what should I do? Should I attempt to simplify my swing so as to create a repeatable swing? I've read about different types of swings, such as one plane, two plane, stack and tilt ext. What would you recommend for someone who's looking for something that can produce the same, if not similar results that my swing can produce with it's "good" shots, while taking away a lot of the horrid ones. Also something that I can somewhat teach, and checkpoint myself, and repeat. If anyone has any ideas, and has a suggestion for a book on the swing, please list that as well. As always, thank you :)

In the bag:
Driver: r7 quad v2 stiff
3-Wood: XLS
Hybrid: X
Irons: CG Golds 3-GWSW: x forged 56/13LW: Vokey sm 60/.08Putter: Callie 35''Ball: pro v1

It sounds like we are in the same boat. I am also looking for more consistency. I am finding that it seems like I am at a point where I have to get more comfortable and confident about my swing.

What I am doing these days is swinging more for feel. When I am swinging well I make really good contact and really compress the ball. I try to look for check off points when I am swinging well so that when I do get a little off I can self correct. If my practice swing does not feel quite right, I go down my checklist to self diagnose.

I am in the beginning stages, but right now I look at my initial setup (ie posture and foot position) and ensure that my take away is on plane. I do this more on feel. I need to feel that I will hit the ball straight. If I do not have that feel during my initial setup I make adjustments unit I get that feel.

For instantce one day I was shanking the ball. I took a look at my posture and takeaway and found that my takeaway was too inside and that my weight was too far forward on my toes. I shifted to a more balanced posture and made sure my takeaway was more straight back rather than too far inside. Viola, I was striking the ball very well after those adjustments.

Right now this is working for me in getting accuracy and consistency.
In my bag:

Driver: R7 SuperQuad
Woods: RPM LP 3W & 5W
Irons: MX-25 4-SWPutter: Detour

In my opinion the best way to learn a consistent swing is to learn how to chip and pitch.

the chip and pitch are a short version of your swing and once you have learn to make solid contact with the short chip and pitch you can apply this towards your full swing.

If you shank your full swing you will proably shank your chips shots also.

The set up

The take away

The contact

the above position and motions will help your swing become more consistent.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

In my opinion the best way to learn a consistent swing is to learn how to chip and pitch.

I agree, I am learning to make batter contact with the ball from chipping and pitching. I basically use the same initial takeaway.
In my bag:

Driver: R7 SuperQuad
Woods: RPM LP 3W & 5W
Irons: MX-25 4-SWPutter: Detour

My brother just started taking lessions from a pro that sound excellent for his swing needs. He improved his swing and short game within 3 sessions. I would ask around to see if there is another pro out there that will work with your swing and accelerate your learning curve.

Its the fastest way to improve your swing, even the pros have swing coaches that they rely on just before a tournament.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Just my .02 but one of the most important things to remember for a consistant swing is to try to have a consistant setup. Same stance, same balance, same ball position, and same hand position. If those arent consistant with every swing then, things will be out of wack and you will shank or pull or slice and all the bad stuff. Especially for me when i get too close to the ball, even a couple inches it creates problems.

Driver - SQ SUMO2 9.5 stiff
3 Wood - SQ SUMO2 15* stiff
Hybrid SQ SUMO2 20* stiff
Irons - CCi steel stiff
Wedge - 56*Wedge - Knight 60*Putter - ITraxBall - platinum+Black but soon to be switching to pr0v1 SG 2.5

The best way to have a consistent swing is to practice. starting with quarter than half swings and then full. You need to get rhythm and tempo. making good contact is key. so balance is important.

Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice/help here. I feel like my swing is rather inconsistent based upon the fact that my contact isn't always great, I shank the ball more often then I should, and it just doesn't feel to natural\...I've read about different types of swings, such as one plane, two plane, stack and tilt ext. What would you recommend for someone who's looking for something that can produce the same, if not similar results that my swing can produce with it's "good" shots, while taking away a lot of the horrid ones. Also something that I can somewhat teach, and checkpoint myself, and repeat. If anyone has any ideas, and has a suggestion for a book on the swing, please list that as well. As always, thank you :)

First of all, I would recommend getting a video of the swing and having someone analyze it. You can even post it here.

Are you having problems with the full swing? I think that the 8 Step Swing by Jim McLean has helped me significantly. He outlines the 'death moves' by which your swing cannot recover to hit a solid shot. Get the video and don't try to assimilate all of it. I personally use that video, a hinged iron / driver and take lessons. There has to be some club that you can hit as your 'go to' club. It may be a 7 or 8 iron. Use the fundamentals of the swing that you are consistent with and progress to go one club up and one club down. The one plane/two plane theory is ok. There is little contiguity of the book. It would be better written if it covered the one plane in 1/2 of the book and the two plane in the other. A better book is the LAWs of the Golf Swing based upon body type. I find it to be more suitable for the average person.

STR8 Dymo 10.5
Dymo 3W
Mid Rescue 3
MP-33 4-PW
Eidolon 52* GW LW, SW Titleist Bullseye Putter

I'm right with you pal. I have taken my fair share of lessons and try to excercise all of the lessons I've learned, however I always seem to revert back to my old ways. On some days my swing feels great and effortless and other days it feels like I'm always fighting it. We always hear about muscle memory, I think my body has alzheimer's.

Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice/help here. I feel like my swing is rather inconsistent based upon the fact that my contact isn't always great, I shank the ball more often then I should, and it just doesn't feel to natural. I've taken a few lessons, but it seems as though i slowly but surly get away from what I learned and do things "my way" which probably isn't the most mechanically sound way of doing things. So upon hearing that, my question to you is what should I do? Should I attempt to simplify my swing so as to create a repeatable swing? I've read about different types of swings, such as one plane, two plane, stack and tilt ext. What would you recommend for someone who's looking for something that can produce the same, if not similar results that my swing can produce with it's "good" shots, while taking away a lot of the horrid ones. Also something that I can somewhat teach, and checkpoint myself, and repeat. If anyone has any ideas, and has a suggestion for a book on the swing, please list that as well. As always, thank you :)

All great info on this page as I'm trying my best to do the same as well. I especially agree with having the same setup for every time you address the ball. Every time I go to the ball i pretty much do the same exact thing to ensure that my setup is where it should be so anything that does go wrong i know is generally in the swing itself. Of course, sometimes I'll be to far away, or at times too close, but in general I have a good idea on where things should be at address.

Also, since you've taken lessons i'm assuming you've had a video analysis done on your swing. In addition to this, if you're like 99% of us on here you have a fairly good understanding on the mechanics of the golf swing and what causes certain types of shots/mishits, i.e-outside-in, reverse pivot, inside takeaway...etc.

So, what i do when things get a litte out of whack is I bring my digital camera (a small canon powershot that takes great video) to the range, or course, and have my playing partner record a frontal and down the line video to see what is askew in my swing based on knowledge that I've absorbed from my lessons.

One thing is for certain, and that is the videos don't lie!! You will immediately see what you are doing wrong most of the time and it is probably the same faults that your instructor has pointed out in the past. Seeing it happen on video just confirms it and it has helped me every time i've used it to see what is funky. I highly suggest trying it out!
R7 Superquad 10.5* REAX regular flex shaft
FT 5 wood
675XC forged irons 3-PW, True Temper DG SL stiff(S300) shafts
55* BeCu sandwedge
e6+ balls or ProV1
Cougar X-cat putter (odyssey 2-ball rip-off)

Note: This thread is 5750 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!