IGNORED

Hilton Head, South Carolina Courses

Note: This thread is 5741 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm heading down in a few weeks to Hilton Head (Sea Pines Plantation) and was wondering if anyone knows of any good courses to play? I know there's Harbour Town, but it's pretty expensive and I'm not sure if I can get a tee time. Any suggestions for courses? Thanks.

"What is best about a great victory is that it rids the victor of the fear of defeat. 'Why not also lose for once?' he says to himself; 'now I am rich enough for
that'" -Nietzsche

In My Stand Bag:
R7 Draw 9.0 Deg Stiff Flex Driver AMF Progression 3 Wood SUMO2 3/20 Deg Hybrid & CPR 4/24 Deg...

Hilton Head National was my favorite course I played when I was there. It was a great track. They have 27 holes try and play all of them.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I might be wrong, but I thought everything on the island itself was private and you couldn't get on there.

I was there a long time ago when I was younger and hadn't got into golf yet, but my older brother, dad and uncle had to go into the mainland to play because they couldn't find anything on the island.

I might be wrong

You are. Mind you the bulk of the public courses are not on the island, but there are several courses on the island that are public. Oyster reef, Palmetto Hall, Port Royal, Harbour Town, and Shipyard to name a few.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Golden Bear is a pretty good course with lower rates as well as Palmetto Dunes... They have 3 or 4 courses. I would expect to pay 50 bucks a day at a minimum.

13 Wedges
1 Putter

Palmetto Dunes is a nice track and a sleeper that was pretty affordable and a nice experience was Dafauskie Island. You have to take about a 30 minute boat ride to get to the island and you can see Harbor Town from the water. It was 55 bucks when I went and it feels like you own the course because you will likely be out there by yourself and have free reign to the whole course and the nice locker room. Even our whole golf cart was detailed with Armour All. It was definately worth 55 bucks.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far guys.

"What is best about a great victory is that it rids the victor of the fear of defeat. 'Why not also lose for once?' he says to himself; 'now I am rich enough for
that'" -Nietzsche

In My Stand Bag:
R7 Draw 9.0 Deg Stiff Flex Driver AMF Progression 3 Wood SUMO2 3/20 Deg Hybrid & CPR 4/24 Deg...

Palmetto Dunes is a nice track and a sleeper that was pretty affordable and a nice experience was Dafauskie Island. You have to take about a 30 minute boat ride to get to the island and you can see Harbor Town from the water. It was 55 bucks when I went and it feels like you own the course because you will likely be out there by yourself and have free reign to the whole course and the nice locker room. Even our whole golf cart was detailed with Armour All. It was definately worth 55 bucks.

I've only golfed in HH once and it was here (a surprise from my father). Much, much nicer than what I'm used to playing and I had a similar experience. My father and I played a scramble against a much better player (my uncle

) and still had no problems slowing people up even though I am a very new player.

Some golfing buddies are talking about putting together a golf trip in a few months.

I'd love to play Harbourtown but I don't know if it'd be in our budget. I've never played a "PGA event" course but have played one the LPGA used for a couple of years.

I'd love to watch the tourney later on television and remember my well over par round!!!
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I go down to Hilton Head twice a year cuz my parents own a house down there. I have played just about every single public course on the island, and some off the island. Here's what I thought:

In Sea Pines:

Harbour Town - the best on the island (if you have $250 to spend on the greens fees then do it)

Ocean Course - the island's first course. it's very good. tough and fun with lots of water. 15th green provides view of beach/ocean. I recommend it.

Heron Point - new by Pete Dye. tough, but not too memorable. however, if you're a fan of Dye, I'd play it.

In Palmetto Dunes:

Robert Trent Jones Course - my second favorite. big, deep bunkers and huge greens. lots of water. 10th green is literally right next to the beach/ocean. I highly recommend it.

George Fazio Course - haven't played it, but I have heard it's one of the island's best

Arthur Hills Course - haven't played it

In Port Royal:

Robber's Row - pretty good, but not very tough or memorable.

Planter's Row - average. short, and not too challenging.

Barony Course - haven't played it

In Indigo Run:

Golden Bear at Indigo Run - I don't remember much from this course, I just remember that I didn't like it. Not one of Jack Nicklaus' best designs.

In Hilton Head Plantation:

Country Club of Hilton Head (semi-private) - very good. tough track, with no room for errant shots, as OB is very close to the fairway edges. some reachable Par 5's, and lots of tough Par 3's.

Oyster Reef - average. not a memorable course.

Shipyard:

27 holes - A LOT of water here. courses are not very long, but they require well-placed shots to score well. not too tough, but it is a pretty fun layout.

Off Island:

Old South Golf Links - challenging, fun, a lot of water. Lots of rolling terrain. 8th hole is a par 3 with Island green. I recommend it.

In short, the courses to play are:

Harbour Town (if you have the money)
Robert Trent Jones at Palmetto Dunes
George Fazio Course (it's excellent from what I've heard)
Ocean Course
Country Club of Hilton Head (remember, it's open to the public)
Old South Golf Links

Courses to put on your "back-up list":

Heron Point
all of Shipyard
Robber's Row
Arthur Hills at Palmetto Dunes

Courses to Avoid:

Golden Bear at Indigo Run
Planter's Row
Barony Course
Oyster Reef

Thanks for all the replies/suggestions everyone. I ended up playing the Ocean Course and the Arthur Hills Course (I stayed in Sea Pines).

The Ocean Course was my favorite of the two- it was in great condition and had some really nice views. The 15th hole (I think it was a par 3) had a really great view of the ocean and also the owner of Home Depot's House is right on the hole. Pretty challenging, yet definitely fun.

The Arthur Hill's Course however was a bit different. My view of it is definitely biased as both the fairways and greens had been aerated, so it was in no where near the same condition as the Ocean Course. It still had some EXTREMELY difficult holes (at least compared to what I'm used to). From what I could tell it was a pretty nice course, but the ocean course was my favorite.

I almost got to play Harbour Town. We were going to go possible on Wednesday, but there were torrential downpours that entire day- it would have been impossible to play. From what I saw of the course (I went bike riding around the Sea pines plantation) it was in amazing condition and was actually empty- I only saw one person on it, and he was a resident who lived on the course and was practicing his putting. Next time I go I'm definitely playing it.

that'" -Nietzsche

In My Stand Bag:

Note: This thread is 5741 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!