IGNORED

What is the best golf lesson or tip you ever received?

Note: This thread is 2970 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The best tip I have ever received was to hold the follow-through of all putting practice strokes (over 1') until you envision the ball reaching the hole. This has helped me greatly reduce leaving putts 3' short or hitting them 3' too long.
Currently Playing:
Driver: Redline RPM 460CC 10*
Irons: American Standard Custom 3-SW
Putter: White Hot XG #1
Golf Ball: Big BerthaGolf Bag: FT Performance Stand BagWhere I Golf:Sussex Golf and Curling Club - Sussex, New Brunswick, Canada

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I play at a course that I am unfamiliar, I get a little nervous. However, I had a yardage book that really helped me.

PLAY THE HOLE IN REVERSE:

The best tip, for me, is to play the hole in reverse. Aside from the goal of 1-2 putts, I determine what shot I feel comfortable as my approach shot and play backwards in my mind before playing the hole. That first hole was an easy Par for me. If I did that for the rest of the holes, I would have done well for my level.

Too bad I don't have books for every course to see the layout of the hole and the greens.

STR8 Dymo 10.5
Dymo 3W
Mid Rescue 3
MP-33 4-PW
Eidolon 52* GW LW, SW Titleist Bullseye Putter

I dont think the "swing like a girl" is offensive if taken the right way. Girls in general are more elegant than guys are, and that, im learning, is really how the game of golf is. Much more about elegance than about power (like other sports). Im still trying to work on my drive, but ive found if i slow down, it hit the ball straighter.. Having played baseball for a while, it is particularly difficult to unlearn what i learned and play golf without a baseball swing.

Swinging 'like a girl' or more elegantly, has helped me on my drives, i just need to get in the habit of it and do it constantly. Slow down, is proly the best advice ive gotten in that respect.

In the bag:
Driver: Slazenger Wrath
3-Wood: Slazenger Wrath
Irons: Slazenger Wrath
PW: Slazenger WrathSW: None yetLW: None yetPutter: Slazenger WrathBall: Slazenger Raw(yes, it was a package)

Took a lesson in Arizona, pro gave me a swing thought for tempo. Take the name of who you think the hottest woman is, say her first name in your head on the back swing, and last name on the downswing. For me it's Salma Hayek. The idea is because it's not a golf thought, it takes you away from the technical aspects of the swing and lets you focus strictly on rhythm.

This would not work well if you're really into Madonna or Cher, however.

Jason Allison
---------------
In my stand bag (which I carry on my OWN back):

10.5* Burner driver Burner 15* 3 wood Burner Rescue 19* Hybrid FP II irons, 4 thru GW No. 588 56* Sand and 60* Lob wedges White Hot XG Tour Rossie Putter NXT Tour ballsOnPar GPS deviceAnd ALL my shafts are stiff.

Took a lesson in Arizona, pro gave me a swing thought for tempo. Take the name of who you think the hottest woman is, say her first name in your head on the back swing, and last name on the downswing. For me it's Salma Hayek. The idea is because it's not a golf thought, it takes you away from the technical aspects of the swing and lets you focus strictly on rhythm.

Does there have to be an even number of syllables in the entire name? Salma Hayek = 4...so its easy to say 2 on the backswing and 2 to spank it (so to speak). I'm having a hard time saying Jessica Alba

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

I had a real problem with reverse pivot. So the pro had me stand feet touching and hit ball 75% over and over. You have to turn. It really helped once the feeling was ingrained, gained about 10 to 20 yards per club.

Titleist 983E 9.5 Accra 65 Stiff Shaft
Titleist 906f2 15 Bassara Stiff
TM Burner Rescue 19
Titleist AP2 4-PW
Titleist Vokey 52, 56 Ping Craze g2i

"Girlfriends and golf do NOT mix!"

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

Yeah, it can work just as well no matter the syllables. The idea is to just say the name in your head as you swing. I've done it with Scarlett Johansen as well. Hit the top of the backswing at the end of her first name, and throughswing on the last name. Silly, but helps me with my timing.

Jason Allison
---------------
In my stand bag (which I carry on my OWN back):

10.5* Burner driver Burner 15* 3 wood Burner Rescue 19* Hybrid FP II irons, 4 thru GW No. 588 56* Sand and 60* Lob wedges White Hot XG Tour Rossie Putter NXT Tour ballsOnPar GPS deviceAnd ALL my shafts are stiff.

My pro trying to simplify the golf swing. Club back to parallel, set the wrist and release.

L4V M Speed
Insight XTD Hybrid 3 Wood
Insight XTD Hybrid 5 Wood
Idea A30S Hybrid 4 and 5 Irons
09 Burner Irons 6-AW CG14 WedgesF7 2 Ball Putter w/ dyssey Jumbo Grip Grom Bag

I started golf late, at age 15. Up to the age of 28, I had NO formal golf lessons, and had developed a makeshift swing. Relying on MY understanding of the proper way to swing, from watching TV and reading books, I tried to copy Bob Jones, Sam Snead, Al Geiberger, and Payne Stewart, all of whom had long, flowing, classic golf swings. My main problem was that I wanted to get a full turn, and started turning my hips too early. I brought the club inside, and then looped into a good swing path on the downswing. My handicap was 8, and I had acutally won a Club Championship and a few other tournaments.

My best lesson believe it or not was on course management.

When I was a much higher handicap I would always hit driver, even on a 300 yard par 4. Back then I was hitting my driver about 250 yards so I was left with a 50 yard pitch (if I hit my driver straight)...a tough shot even for the pros. I was playing with a scratch golfer who told me to play golf like chess...always think about your next move. So rather than hit driver on a 300 yard par 4, I hit 5 wood and left myself 100 yards to the pin...my sweet spot distance. I then practiced with my wedge the 100 yard shot over and over till I could hit that shot in my sleep! This one lesson on course management (know your limits) has been crucial to my improvement as a golfer. --John

That was excellent advice that you received. I tell my students that if they can hit the ball fairly solid consistently, then here are the two best ways to lower their scores:

1. course management and smart decisions---as you described so well 2. work on the short game. Spend at least 65% of your practice time on chipping, pitching, sand blasts, and PUTTING. Why 65%? Because putting accounts for 50% of our scores, and chipping and pitching another 15%. These are the "stroke savers". And be sure to practice, practice, practice---it is time "well spent".

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

Ditto.

I was always one of the better players in high school and kept my handicap in the single digits but was never able to get those last few strokes I needed to get to 0. Once I left high school I grew up a lot, mentally that is. I learned to check my ego at the door and play golf always thinking of my next move. This way I was no longer mulling over that bad shot I hit on 3 or how I lipped out for eagle on 6. I also quit hitting driver on short par 4's when a 2 iron (or less) would easily do the job. All of a sudden my handicap dropped and I was able to keep it in the positive numbers for quite a while (then I had kids and that cut into golf a lot, well worth it though). You're playing golf, it's a game of skill. Check your ego at the door and play the smart shot.

Yonex Ezone Type 380 | Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro | Miura 1957 Irons | Yururi Wedges | Scotty Cameron Super Rat | TaylorMade Penta

"Girlfriends and golf do NOT mix!"

Oh why is that? what if your gf plays golf before she was your gf?

In the bag:
Driver: Slazenger Wrath
3-Wood: Slazenger Wrath
Irons: Slazenger Wrath
PW: Slazenger WrathSW: None yetLW: None yetPutter: Slazenger WrathBall: Slazenger Raw(yes, it was a package)

No doubt about it for me.

I sliced everything my whole life, I mean every club. Tried everything I could to fix it & nothing worked. I was ready to give up. Finally went for 2 half hour private lessons this spring hoping to just cut down to a fade (didn't have unrealistic expectations)

This is what the lessons sounded like: "OK, rotate your forearms earlier...better, now rotate your forearms earlier. Nice, now on this one..rotate your forearms earlier."

Those 4 words have changed my game so drastically I cannot even tell you.

I actually found the left rough for the 1st time this summer

Rotate your forearms earlier

In My X Bag:

Driver: Sasquatch 460 Graffaloy NT Stiff 9.5°
3 Wood: X 15°
5 Wood: FT-5Irons: MP-52 Project X 5.5GW: Vokey 200 Series 52°SW: Wilson Staff R.Mendralla 56°LW: Vokey Spin Milled 60°Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Balls: Pro V1x

Oh why is that? what if your gf plays golf before she was your gf?

One thing is for sure---no one likes to play with his wife or girlfriend if she is better than you, or ---------much worse.

The best tip I ever got was rotating the hips behind you.

Everyone always told me, "Just use your hips more!" but never told me how. It was much more of a swaying back and forth with my hips, nearly no rotation at all. Now my swing is so much better, more accurate, smooth and greater distance.

The best tip I ever got was rotating the hips behind you.

Most average golfers have NO concept of what the golf swing is. I ask my students what they think it is. There is a wide variety of answers. Here is my definition:

It is a shoulder turn, underneath a relatively steady head, with the hip turn following the shoulders. The backswing is followed by the downswing, lead by the legs and hips, and followed by the upper body, with a natural release in the impact area. This is done in a smooth, rhythmic action as the golfer thinks "1, 2, 3" for the purposed of timing. THE BEST WAY TO PRACTICE the proper turn of the shoulders and hips is to put your feet right next to each other and swing the golf club. If you sway, or fail to properly turn, you will fall off balance and be unable to hit good shots. In my opinion, and in the way I teach, the hip turn is important, as the hips FOLLOW the action of the shoulders initiating the body turn. This is one reason the shoulders should turn 90 degrees and the hips only 45 degrees. Excessive hip turn can be as bad as not enough hip turn.

Note: This thread is 2970 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!