IGNORED

Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game?

NM Golf
Note: This thread is 1392 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Dress Codes  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game

• Good for the game
    • Bad for the game

I wear cargo shorts because it's nice to have those large pockets.  I don't wear T-shirts to the course ever though. I'd say, whatever the course allows, so be it. Not everyone watns to invest time and money on everything to play once every few months.

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Performance Driver

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Perfomance 15° 3W

18° Burner 1.0 Superlaunch Rescue Hybrid

:mizuno: 4-PW MP-69 Irons

50°, 54° & 58° ATV wedges

Classic Collection #1 Black Putter

:bridgestone: Tour B330 Balls

2013 Tour v3 Laser Rangefinder w/ Jolt Technology

You don't know what pressure is until you play for five bucks with only two bucks in your pocket. -Lee Trevino

Originally Posted by MrSandman

I don't think everybody should try to dress like a pga tour pro with that new super sleek gear they wear (in fact, I think people emulating Sergio are kind of light in the loafers).  However, one should still show some respect to the game and wear appropriate attire.

I tend to agree, but at least they are outside doing something, which is the main thing.

I played the other day in competition with a guy wearing a football jumper. He also took a leak in the middle of the fairway at about the 220 mark.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Couldn't disagree more.  I think people should wear whatever they want to play golf - even cut-off jeans and flip-flops for all I care.  You know what they say about opinions . .everybody has one.

I think if people want to show respect for the game they should learn golf ettiquette inside and out - with particular regard to pace of play.

I think cargo shorts and pants are fine.

A sleeved shirt that is not a T-shirt is the minimum, imho.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Shorty

I tend to agree, but at least they are outside doing something, which is the main thing.

I played the other day in competition with a guy wearing a football jumper. He also took a leak in the middle of the fairway at about the 220 mark.

Classic

At least that guy was going all out and blatantly disrepsecting the game.  I an respect that.

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

Let the pissin' contest begin! To the OP, I don't know about your God, but mine looks into the heart not at the flesh or what we choose to cover it. We all came into this world wearing 1 thing....SKIN. Have fun lookin' down your nose, but ya might want to look past it and into the mirror every now and again.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

Originally Posted by LBlack14

Let the pissin' contest begin!

To the OP, I don't know about your God, but mine looks into the heart not at the flesh or what we choose to cover it. We all came into this world wearing 1 thing....SKIN. Have fun lookin' down your nose, but ya might want to look past it and into the mirror every now and again.

So you play golf naked?

All I ask is that you show the game a little respect.

What's in the bag
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

Cargo shorts are perfectly fine as long as they aren't ripped and dangling...or camo. I will always wear either 1. a polo or 2. an underarmour shirt because it gets dang hot around here. Never a t-shirt.

Driver - Cobra S3 9.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon JavlnFX M7 
Fwy - Titleist 904F 18*
Irons - Mizuno MP-14
Wedges - Cleveland 588 54*, Ping Tour 58*
Putter - Ping D66 (iWi)

If you play at munis (which I do) you won't see much more of a dress code than shirt-and-shoes.  At one place I've played, they didn't enforce the part about the shirt.  If you want a different mode of dress play somewhere else.

Originally Posted by pixel5

Cargo shorts are perfectly fine

According to you, cargo shorts are "prefectly fine."  According to anybody with any class, you are wrong.

What's in the bag

So you play golf naked? All I ask is that you show the game a little respect.

What does that have to do with respecting or disrespecting the game, SERIOUSLY? It is a game. Listen, I wear a golf/collared shirt and cargos always when I play, but I'm not gonna point fingers at anybody. As long as they are within' the rules of the facility, who gives a chit. PS-shirt is always UN-tucked.

-Landon

According to you, cargo shorts are "prefectly fine."  According to anybody with any class, you are wrong.

You're kidding right??? :-\ That's is a pretty classy statement there Mr. Trump. Step down off your pedestal why don't ya. "Judge not lest ye be judged" "Let he who is without sin cast the 1st stone"

-Landon

Why are t-shirts taboo and not allowed, but cargo shorts are perfectly fine?

Most respectable country clubs do not allow t-shirts nor do they allow cargo shorts.

So why do some people have a rule against wearing t-shirts, but they break golf etiquette and wear cargo shorts?  If you are going to wear cargo shorts, why not just wear a t-shirt or a replica Ray Lewis jersey?

What's in the bag

never played at a course that didn't allow cargo shorts. Even at nice country clubs. Although most require collared shirts for the men. I can't find khaki shorts that fit that aren't cargo shorts. Having huge legs and a fairly small waist makes them very hard to find without having them tailored. Even tour pros tend to wear shorts when not playing an official event. Every time I see them on the golf channel on any show other that a tourney, they are wearing shorts.

My biggest etiquette gripe is getting piss drunk on the course and acting like an idiot.

I think if people are wearing what is within in the rules of the course then why should it matter?

Not really a fan of dress codes, their rules are quite arbitrary. When you consider you can't wear some tidy cargo shorts, but would readily be able to wear some collared shirt that looked like a my dog had dumped on it and rolled around in it. Respecting the game however is more about how some one acts and conducts them selves rather than what terrible attire they have decided to buy to strut around the course in.

The club I belong to has strict rules regarding dress code. No cargo shorts. Golf shirts must be tucked in. A foursome I regularly play in expects that we all wear pants on our Saturday round. If the course you play has no dress code then wear what you want. I personally appreciate the dress code we have.

My only problem with golf is that I am usually standing too close to the ball............ after I hit it.
In my bag

Ping G30 Driver

Ping G25 3 wood

Titleist AP2 3-PW

Edel wedges

Edel putter

I almost always wear cargo shorts along with a collared short sleeve athletic shirt because they keep me cool on those hot days and the extra pocket are nice.  I have never heard anyone complain about my shorts.  Granted, I am without the means to pay an expensive membership fee at any respectable country club so I am limited to the regular pay as you play type courses.

Personally, if someone approached me and told me my shorts were inappropriate golf attire and that they would not be allowed at any respectable country club I would get pretty pissed off.  If my shorts make you uncomfortable, go back to your country club where they are not allowed and let me enjoy my game.

As for the respect for the game comment, what about respect for your fellow human being?

Note: This thread is 1392 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!