IGNORED

Do you use a glove while putting?

elementz
Note: This thread is 4766 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For every shot, yes. Putting, no. I find I have more 'feel' this way.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I wear a glove for every full shot I take. I almost always take my glove off between shots. I never wear a glove when putting.

S-
Driver: Nike Dymo² Str8-Fit 9.5° UST AXIV Core 69 Stiff
3 Wood: Nike Sumo² 3 Wood 15° Aldila VS Proto 65 Stiff
Hybrid: Cobra Baffler Pro 3/R 20° DGS300
Irons: Titleist AP2 3-PW PX 5.5 (+ 1/2" and 2° upright)
Wedge: Titleist Vokey Design 200 Series 52°/8° Wedge: Titleist Vokey...

I take my glove off to putt. The best feelling is putting that approach club in the bag and then taking the glove off. I hate having to leave it on because I missed the green.

I take my glove off after my approach shot to any green...basically if I have less than 40 yards to the hole, the glove is in the back right pocket!

Do exactly the same myself

(but glove in the back left pocket )

Driver: KZG Gemini 10.5° Custom Build (Grafalloy ProLite 35)
7 Wood: Mizuno MP001 21° (Grafalloy ProLite 35)
Irons: Mizuno MP-60 (3i-PW)
GW/SW/LW: Cleveland 900 Tour Action 52°/56°/60°
Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG 2-Ball Blade
Ball: TaylorMade TP Red / Srixon Z-Star

I have tried putting without a glove on and I don't care too much for it. I have putted for 15 years with a glove on and I guess I am just used to the feel. Besides, I don't use my hands to putt, I use my shoulders. If I take the glove off I tend to get a little handsy with the stroke. When I go in to the golf store to try putters I bring my glove and a sleeve of Pro V1's along. I want to know what it is going to be like when I actually get out on the course. The balls that the stores use on their putting greens are not the softest that I have ever used. So, I always use a glove while putting.

Driver: MP-600 9.5 w/ Fujikura E360 Stiff Shaft
4 Wood: F-60 16.5 w/ Exsar FS3 Stiff Shaft
Irons:MP-57 3-PW w/ Dynamic Gold S300 Shafts
Wedges: MP-R Black-Ni 52, 56, & 60
Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Ball: ProV1/ProV1xGrips: Winn Xi7

I have done it both ways, as far as I can tell the only advantage for me is it gives a little time for sweat dry out. I have left it on for years now. I consider myself a good putter and very feel oriented. Arms, shoulders, sound all contribute to feel. I wonder if people with the yips might be better off with it on, since sensory overload seems to be part of that problem.

When I decided to respond to this thread, I was reading through some of the posts, when I came across Allin's above. That is

exactly what I was going to say! Often, I forget I have the glove on. But when it is really hot and humid, as it is now, I take off the glove to dry and cool off my hand. I actually prefer to putt with my glove on because I'm just used to putting that way.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

• 2 years later...

I don't wear a glove while putting.  I get a better feel for the putter. . . sometimes I don't wear one when I chip from the fringe.  I like to take it off in between shots as well so it doesn't get sweaty and so I have the same color hands after a round in the sun.

In my Titleist Stand Bag

Driver:      Cleveland Launcher DST 9.5*

5 Wood:   Taylor Made Burner 17.5*

Irons:       Taylor Made Burner 09 4-PW, AW                    

Wedges:  2 Cleveland CG14's -- 56* & 60*

Putter:      Odyssey White Hot XG Sabertooth  ball: TP Black LDP

I don't wear a glove to putt.  I don't wear a glove to play.  I found having a glove did not help me in any way, I quite wearing one at all for two reasons.  I didn't like having to take it off to putt, put it on for a full shot, take it off to putt, put it on for full shot, so I just quite wearing one all together and I don't have to spend money on gloves.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

I wear two gloves, and they're actually rain gloves (H2Os) so I don't have to worry about drying them out.  Like Allin and shortgame85 above, I too keep them on while putting.  I don't like having two different 'feels' of clubs in my hands - one for the putter and another for every other club in the bag.  For me, it helps keep my grip feel consistent and it's what I've gotten used to over the years.  It's probably more of a comfort thing, I don't suppose it really makes all that much difference either way.

In my bag: adams.gif Speedline Fast 10 10.5, Speedline 3W, Ping Zing2 5-SW  vokey.gif 60 deg odyssey.gif 2-ball    330-RXS

I take my glove off to putt unless I'm feeling rushed.  I definitely putt better with my glove off, and my stats back it up.  However, I don't feel it's actually due to the glove being off, but rather due to the fact that if I've removed my glove that means I don't feel like I'm getting pressed by the group behind me, so I'll be more methodical with lining up and will make a much smoother stroke.

Sasquatch Tour Bag | '09 Burner driver, 10.5* | Speedline F10 3W | Mashie 3H | Viper MS irons, 4-SW | CG15 60* | White Hot XG #7

Isn't the glove supposed to give you better contact with the club when swinging it fast? Can't be helping much when putting.

I took it off when putting before I stopped using it.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I take it off when I putt for the sole reason that my left hand gets the rediculous golf tan line. I've grown accustomed to it so it's more comfortable now.

2013 Goal:

Single digit handicap

Originally Posted by Zeph

Isn't the glove supposed to give you better contact with the club when swinging it fast? Can't be helping much when putting.

I took it off when putting before I stopped using it.

I always took it off (like you - back when I wore one at all) because it was part of the routine. When I was a kid I thought pros looked cool with the fingers of their golf glove sticking out their back pocket.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I take my glove off once I'm on the green and put it on when I get to the next teebox. It helps with feel on the putter, although I don't think it makes a significant difference. Primarily, it helps keep heat down on warm days and gives my glove a quick chance to dry out a little.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

No I never do. I have a better feel without it on putting.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I keep mine on the entire 18 holes.

I used to take it off, but it made no difference to my putting ( which is usually the savior of my game )

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Note: This thread is 4766 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!