IGNORED

Tips for playing in heat

Note: This thread is 5745 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yesterday I returned home from a wonderful trip to Pinehurst, NC. 4 rounds in 5 days is quite a bit of golf! 98 degrees and high humidity makes for a difficult 4 rounds though.

I had some trouble being able to swing the club with confidence when I'm sweating so much. I always feel as if I'm going to lose the club in my hand, and a few times I almost did. I used a towel to dry off my grip and non-glove hand before every shot, but even a few practice swings would be enough to make my grip slippery again. I went through 2 brand new gloves in the heat...

Can anyone recommend anything?

In my sunmountain.gif bag:
Driver  cleveland.gif  '09 Launcher 9* with Fit-On M Red X
Hybrids:  titleist.gif  585.H 21* with YS-6+ S, 585.H 17* with NVS Aldila X
Irons:  callaway.gif  Tour Authentic X-Prototype 4-PW with X100
Wedges:  callaway.gif  X Series Jaws 52*, 56*, 60*Putter:  callaway.gif  Tour Blue TT2Range Finder:  bushnell.gif  1500 TE

I sweat quite a bit myself, but never to the point where I was worried about losing my club. I'd say take your glove off between shots and try to keep it as dry as possible.

Drink lots of water, and shade your club grips

In my Black'n'Red :

Driver: R7 TP 460cc 10.5* Reax 65 stiff shaft
3 Wood: Tour Impact 15*
Irons: Tour Impact 3-PWWedges: Vokey Oil Can Spin Milled 54.10, Golfco Baron 58* SWPutter: Tracy II 35"Balls: Prov 1Age:16

I play out here in So Cal and it gets 95* and above. I take my glove off every shot and use my towel to whip my grip almost every time. Everyone has there own tricks.

Sounds like its a mental thing for you tho. If you sweat and worry about your swing chances are you wont feel comfortable and wont hit well.

Try to get early tee times. In the summer my tee times never get past 7AM.

I play out here in So Cal and it gets 95* and above. I take my glove off every shot and use my towel to whip my grip almost every time. Everyone has there own tricks.

down here in florida it overcasts every afternoon. Going out at 3 or 4pm seems to be the way to go. The clouds block out the sun..and by the time you get down to 5 or 6 pm it gets relatively 'cool' out. The humidity is still up..but at least you dont have to deal with the sun beating down on you like you would if you were playing when the sun is fully out.

TMX Carry Bag
Tour Burner 9.5*
Burner 3W 15*
Burner Rescue Hybrid 19*
r7 TP 4i-SW Dynamic Gold S300s 60* CG-14 Circa 62 #2 & Studio Stainless Newport 2 Pro V1x

I love playing in the middle of the day. It seems that I have the entire course to my self. I live in So. Indiana, and in the summer we have heat indices around 105-110. I keep about 5-6 good gloves in my bag at a time and rotate them every couple of holes. Also, I find ways to air them out, such as attaching them to something outside my golf bag if i'm walking, or to the golf cart if i'm riding. Another trick that I use is to have a small container of baby powder in my bag. When you start to feel uncomfortable, sprinkle a bit on your hands. That seems to do the trick for me.

And as always bring plenty of water and gatorade to drink, and stay in the shade as much as possible, even if it means a bit longer of a walk.

In my bag:

DRIVER: 905T w/ Fujikura E360 Shaft
3 Wood 906 F4 w/ Aldila Proto "By You"
Irons: MP 30 w/ Rifle 5.5 Wedges Oil Can 50*, Vokey SM 54* and 58*Putter: C-06

Anything under 100 degrees doesn't really bother me as long as I have plenty of powerade, gatorade, vitamin water, water, etc.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I'll be playing in Vegas in exactly 9 days. Here are some of my tips:

• Drink LOTS of water before, during and after your round

• Keep a damp towel nearby to wipe your hands down with. This may seem strange, but it will actually keep your hands a bit drier

• Apply liberal amounts of sun screen before and during your round

• Eat fruit or other healthy foods before and during your round

• Don't think about the heat! Simply concentrate on the shot at hand

• Bring a spray bottle and fill it with cold water. This seems to help cool me down if it's super hot out

I play in 100 degree weather all the time here in the Reno area too...so those tips have been put to good use by myself
underparnv

That's how I like my golf. A kick in the face. -Ben

Driver: 983E 8.5* w/ stock stiff flex shaftIrons: MP60 - 2 through 9 irons (swap out the 2 iron for my three wood at some courses)Wedges: 588 Chrome - 47* Pitching Wedge, 53* Gap Wedge, 56* Sand Wedge MP-T Black Ni - 60* Lob WedgePutter:.....

Here is what I do when it is hot.

First, I use three gloves and rotate them each hole. I will hang them on the cart or my bag so any sweat will have a chance to dry. I have been using the same three gloves all summer and they are still good as new.

Second, I use a wet towel (handtowel size) to dry the sweat off my hands. Before I tee off I will go and get it wet with cold water, not dripping wet, just damp. Before every shot, I just grasp it with my hands and wipe off the sweat. The cool water makes you hands think that they are cool so they will not sweat for a few minutes. So when you approach your ball, just pick up the wet towel, check your yardage and figure out the club you want. If it is hot, by the time you pick up the club your hands will be cool and dry with no sweat. If they don't dry right away just wipe them off with a dry towel, they will still be sweat free. It the towel starts to dry out just get it wet at the next water cooler. It is also good to use it to wipe off your face and arms and you will feel a little cooler. On really hot days, I will wrap it around my neck or put it on my head to help keep the whole body feel cooler.

I played last Friday afternoon when it was 95+ with humidity. My hands never slipped, and the glove I put on was always dry and I never really felt that hot.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

Most people sweat too muich because they are not adequetly hydrated. This doesn't mean drink water while you play (which you should do) but more in the day before. Drinking wine or beer with dinner is only going to hurt you the next day in the heat. Salt tablets or just drinking sports drinks will help as well. Other than that, not too much you can do except wipe off your hands. I can't say I've ever had an issue and it's been 100+ for I think ~60 days in a row here now and I've played in the middle of the day with no issues unless I drank the night before or just didn't hydrate the sday before.

Bring at least three gloves and change to a dry one when one starts getting soaked. Bring extra towels and if the course has water jugs soak a towel with cold water, wring it out a bit, and put it around your neck. This is for when you get overheated and need a break. Very refreshing. Find shade whenever possible. Don't rush. Drink water.

My Clubs
Nicklaus Progressive XC Irons: 3H,4H, 5-GW
Ray Cook SW & Gyro 1 Putter
Taylor Made Burner Driver 10.5
Taylor Made V-Steel 3 & 5 MetalsMy Home Course: Indian RiverMy Blog: Rant-o-Rama-Ding-Dong

Today was the hottest day on the course for me this year and i had a tee time at 1pm. Over the whole day i drank about 6liters - the day before i took magnesium tablets to prevent muscle cramping (happens when i do sports and sweat a lot) and though i dont sweat a lot with my hands and after each shot i hanged my glove over the clubs to dry out i still had some problems with hitting it properly since you cant really dry your hands/gloves completly.

On the upside - my balls just fly crazy far :)

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

Hydrate before, during and after the round. if your riding keep it cool with ice, bring plenty of golf gloves and a nice towel and even a wet towel with ice to cool off. Make sure you have sunscreen and a nice hat and sunglasses and don't forget to snack during the round.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Currently I have 7 gloves in my bag. Use a rotation and take them off while you are putting.

The heat in Florida can definately kill the lifespan of gloves.

13 Wedges
1 Putter

Just a quick tip if you have sweaty hands, blow lightly on your hand (keep your hand close to your mouth) as this helps to dry up the sweat. In hot/humid rounds or even rounds where its raining I do this before and in between shots as I find it very effective and drying out my hands.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

Lots of water for the 12 hours before you play and then at the very least 2 litres for each nine you play, preferably more than 3. And don't forget to wear a big wide brimmed hat. Also don't forget to drink plenty of water for the 12 hours AFTER you have played as well. If you find yourself with a splitting headache in the evening after you played guess what? You didn't drink enough water.

As for sweaty hands, carry a couple of towels with you and 3 or 4 gloves and keep rotating the gloves and hanging them on your bag to dry. If you can carry an extra towel and wet it as often as you can and hang it over the back of your neck between shots that helps too.

It gets plenty hot down here in Australia during summer!

If you go through so many gloves have you ever thought of taking the glove off between swings to dry your hands with a towel?

Drivers: 10.5* Superquad with blue ProLaunch shaft or a SQ 460 Lucky 13
Woods: X Tour 15* 3 wood with Fujikura shaft
Irons: Big Bertha irons
Hybrid: Draw Rescue 3 19* with Reax shaft
Wedge: C-10 60*Putter: Rossa Monza CorzaAge: 18Location: Rochester Hills, MichiganBest Shot-75

If you go through so many gloves have you ever thought of taking the glove off between swings to dry your hands with a towel?

I do.

Thanks to everyone for the great tips!

In my sunmountain.gif bag:
Driver  cleveland.gif  '09 Launcher 9* with Fit-On M Red X
Hybrids:  titleist.gif  585.H 21* with YS-6+ S, 585.H 17* with NVS Aldila X
Irons:  callaway.gif  Tour Authentic X-Prototype 4-PW with X100
Wedges:  callaway.gif  X Series Jaws 52*, 56*, 60*Putter:  callaway.gif  Tour Blue TT2Range Finder:  bushnell.gif  1500 TE

Note: This thread is 5745 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!