IGNORED

The FedEx Cup... who cares?

SubPar
Note: This thread is 5720 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

You damn right I care. We get major-like fields for three or four weeks in a row. That's good stuff regardless of all the details. Between the FedEx Cup Playoffs and The Ryder Cup, the next 4 or 5 weeks are going to be awesome!

Its like Hockey Playoffs. Just too bad that Mike Weir have to shave his beard after one round. To call him a lumberjack is very unneighbourly.

I couldn't help but notice that, after giving the FedEx Cup a contractual plug every few minutes all day, the Cup points were not even mentioned after the final hole on Sunday. Guess the wind goes out of that balloon when the competition for 1st place is over so soon.

What kind of "playoff" system allows a guy to lock it up with a 44th place finish in the third of four events? What a load of BS. It is good to have the quality field playing for several weeks this time of year, but the FedEx Cup deal itself is seriously flawed.

Now what would be exciting ? ---- an 18 hole playoff between the top eight or ten point holders, after the tour championship.

SubPar

I couldn't help but notice that, after giving the FedEx Cup a contractual plug every few minutes all day, the Cup points were not even mentioned after the final hole on Sunday. Guess the wind goes out of that balloon when the competition for 1st place is over so soon.

The Tour has to do something, and your idea is a good one. The Tour is the laughing stock of the sports world right now. It would be like giving points to the baseball teams in the playoffs, and a team that swept its opponent could earn enough points that it would be declared the World Champions if they just showed up for the World Series, even if they got swept there. The present point system is seriously flawed.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

What kind of "playoff" system allows a guy to lock it up with a 44th place finish in the third of four events?

It's a lot better than having no playoff system. That's for damn sure. And in all reality, Vijay still has to show up and finish this next event to guarantee a win.

Now what would be exciting ? ---- an 18 hole playoff between the top eight or ten point holders, after the tour championship. SubPar

I can't disagree there. That would be exciting, even if it was just the top three or four in the standings.

It's pretty clear the format still needs tweaking, but they can't it all right in the first year or two. It will take a few years to get things right, and even then, there will probably be gripes about something.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I agree the points need to be tweaked a little bit more. They went too far the other way this season, trying to get more names into the mix. But I did enjoy last year's playoffs as well as this year's. It does give you something to look at besides the tournament of the week. Even if your favorite player isn't going to win in a given week, you can still get some enjoyment out of rooting for them to finish high enough to put themselves into position for the next week.

Twitter - @rubofthegreen | Xbox 360 - zilegati

How about this:

Round One Top 128 competitors. 3 rounds of stroke play to seed players for Sunday's Match play. Players coming in late on round three will be fighting hard for strokes because of the last in first out policy. Match play for Round 4. Losers go home. Winners go to the next week.

Round Two 64 competitors. Same deal as above.

Round Three 32 competitors. Same as above.

Round Four seeds for the 16 remaining players are set based on your finish in Round Three. All rounds are Match play. Win and go to the next day. After 4 days of match play the winner takes his 10 mil in deferred payment.

Don't know how to deal with dropouts mid tournament but a short list pool of subs who failed to advance the prior week might be worked out.

The NASCAR approach doesn't work for golf and that's how it's being played now. Isn't any more goofy or a yawner than what is being offered right now.

How about this:

The good thing about the Fed Ex being over and done with for first place is that we can now concentrate on the Ryder Cup and simply ignore the Tour Championship. I love the Ryder Cup's format of foursomes, fourballs, and finally singles on Sunday. Many of the golf clubs in this area have adopted the same format with their rival clubs in matches in September. In foursomes, you had better be paired with a good partner or you get frustrated and get slaughtered. Even though I disagree with Captain Azinger's selections, I will root for the US of A.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

I agree. The end of the season should be 8 to 10 guys, in a mano-a-mano match play bracket playoff. This is competitive golf. Make it a real competition already. Make someone really EARN that 10 million at the end of the season.

Now that would be fun to watch.
Favorite Practice Course:
Z Boaz Municipal, Fort Worth <<< Ben Hogan grew up playing here!
--------------------------------------------------

In the bag: 983E 9.5*, Fuji Speeder S RPM LP, 4W, Neutral Bias STAFF Ci6 irons, S (going up for sale soon) Tom Watson PVD 08 Wedges (G.S,L)... and a 4...

The fedEx cup? I really don't care...

In fact, since its inception, I don't think I've actually watched a round of the FedEx cup.
Whats in the bag:

Driver: Nike Ignite 460cc 10.5* Fujikura Ignite reg flex
Fairway woods: Howson tour master power series 3,5 woods
Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

The FedEx Cup... who cares?

Boo Weekley agrees (53 seconds)

In the Matrix XTT Standbag:

Driver: Biggest Big Bertha 11*
Fairway Wood: Steelhead Plus 3 Wood
Irons: T-Zoid Titanium Insert irons 3-SWWedge: Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.04Putter: Pro Platinum Laguna 34" w/ British Open '04 headcoverBall: ProV1 Rule35 Playing again after a three year hiatus...

Note: This thread is 5720 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!