IGNORED

Too much $$$ at the range

Rugger
Note: This thread is 5749 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ok but there are many banks that are alive and well. I haven't ever had a problem with Washington Mutual for example, you make it sound like the whole industry is collapsing.

My point was not to say banking is collapsing, rather to say, that a 3% savings account does say just about nothing nowadays. The industry is different. But lets not get too off topic

join a cc with free range gold balls... That's the way to go

:)

In my Nike Tour Stand bag:
Adams Golf Idea Pro Gold Irons
Nike SuMo Sasquatch 10.5* Stiff Shaft Proforce v2
Nike Slingshot 3 Hybrid 20*
Nike SuMo2 5 Hybrid 25*

Nike SV Tour Wedges 52*, 56*

Nike Ignite Mallet Putter

Titleslist Pro V1, Bridgestone e6 and B330S

$70-$100 a week at the range...wow!

I thought I was spending too much at the range and I'm only half way through my $70 discount card after almost a month!

In the Matrix XTT Standbag:

Driver: Biggest Big Bertha 11*
Fairway Wood: Steelhead Plus 3 Wood
Irons: T-Zoid Titanium Insert irons 3-SWWedge: Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.04Putter: Pro Platinum Laguna 34" w/ British Open '04 headcoverBall: ProV1 Rule35 Playing again after a three year hiatus...

$100 a week at the range is alot... how many balls are in a bucket? My local range is $8 a bucket (100 - 115 balls) and I only spend maybe $32 a week. The rest of my time is spent chipping and putting.

13 Wedges
1 Putter

My point was not to say banking is collapsing, rather to say, that a 3% savings account does say just about nothing nowadays. The industry is different. But lets not get too off topic

even if you dont get into a savings account/money market account, im sure you can get into a CD (certificate of deposit) for around 3% at any one of your local banks.....and as far as i kno, those are insured up to 100,000 just like a savings account.

but newayz, back on topic. i would go to the driving range 2-3 times a week and take the rest of the money you have left over and do a couple rounds of 9 holes 2-3 times a week, and if you look around in your area, im sure you can find really good rates for 18 holes around this time of the year. at least thats what i would do if i had $100 to spend on golf a week.
In my Datrek Cart Bag (soon to be replaced):

Driver: Lynx 2008 Predator Ti (10.5*, Regular Flex)
Woods: Walter Hagen AWS (3 Wood)
Hybrids: Walter Hagen MS2 Hybrids w/ graphite shafts (18*, 22*)Irons: Walter Hagen MS2 Irons w/ graphite shaftsWedges: 56* Taylor Made rac w/ steel shaft ; 52* Slazenger...

Seems like I've been spending 70-100 dollars at the range every week for the past couple of weeks. (7.25 for a large) I can't help but feel like I could be spending what little money I have in a more productive manner.

If you are "grooving" a good swing, dry swings in the backyard with an emphasis on rhythm and balance will work just fine. We are fortunate in our area that there are three places we can go and shag our own balls and pay nothing. One is the practice area at a municipal course that really does not get that much use. Also, the practice putting green is right there, so we can practice our putting and short game for free as well.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

If you are going to spend all that time practicing, practice with your wedge and your putter around the greens, I wouldnt be spending all that money on range balls. I go to the range about two to three times a week and I hit a medium bucket which costs about 5 dollars. Thats 15 dollars a week, the rest of the time im chipping around a practice green, hitting sand shots and putting. No need to beat that many balls per week. Maybe what you need to do is come up with a nice practice routine while you are hitting those balls to get the most out of it. Save your money on something else.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

This time of the year I rarely visit the range. I either walk 9 standard holes or a par 3 executive.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

Get a 'Shag Bag' with about 30 balls in it, find a field, and ht balls there. Get some excersise and save moola !

Eventually, I'll get the hint and stop advertising, which is against the rules.

Aer you getting anything out of it? Or are you jsut going to beat balls. Spend as much or as little as you like, as long as it makes you happy and you are improving your game.

But if you have that much time to devote to golf, why not just go out and play more often? No better place to learn to how to make certain shots than an actual course.

OP says he goes to the range because he's losing balls during his rounds. My interpretation is that he's losing balls due to his Driving, or his second (approach?) shots. He's not losing balls chipping around the green.

So why are there so many suggestions that he go into his back yard and practice chipping? Or other suggestions to practice putting, because it's free?

After OP finishes all that chipping and putting practice, he's still going to be losing a dozen balls per round! Because those suggestions are not addressing the problem.

My suggestion, as a fellow high-handicapper and ball-loser, is to first cut down the number of hours at the range. If you're going that often, then you are probably not seeing an improvement (if you saw improvement, you wouldn't feel the need to go to the range so often). Since you're not seeing improvement, all you are doing is ingraining some bad technique.

Take a single lesson with a pro, tell him exactly the problem you want to solve (inconsistency with your driver/long clubs), and practice what he suggests. Practice without a ball in your yard, then move to the range once you have the 'feel' for the swing.

Most low-handicappers already are consistent with their driver, woods, and long irons - the only place they have in their game to shave strokes is the short game. So they often suggest short-game practice to people that cannot hit off the tee or from the fairway. Sure, we all can benefit from short-game practice, but for some of us that's not going to help the most immediate problem in our game.

HiBore 10.5 driver
GT-500 3- and 5-woods
Bazooka JMax 4 Iron Wood
Big Bertha 2008 irons (4 and 5 i-brids, 6i-9i,PW)
Tom Watson 56 SW Two-Ball putter

If I'm not mistaken, the OP has stated on other threads that he drives the ball close to 300 yards. For a mid-high 'capper who loses alotta golf balls, I'd be willing to bet most of the lost balls are off the tee.

Tone your drives down! Think of them as a placement shot. If you wind up hitting them "only" 250-260, fine...they'll be in the fairway. You'll have better chances of hitting greens or getting close which allows you to minimize the bogeys and worse.

Drives are not meant to be bombs off the tee. As your swing improves hopefully you'll learn how to bomb it AND keep it in play.

Use some of that driving range coin on 'placing' drivers at specific targets.

Driver: R7 SuperQuad TP 9.5° Fujikura Rombax 6X07
Hybrid: Rescue TP 19°

Orlimar3wood: Hip-Steel 15° (oldie but goodie)Irons: Ping i10 [4-GW] DG X-100Wedges: Ping Tour-W [54° & 58°] DG X-100Putter: i-Series Piper HBalls: B330-S or e5+

If you're spending $100 a week at the range because you lose 15 balls a round, I am assuming you lose the balls off of the tee. Focus on hitting your driver at the range to improve accuracy from the tee.

Spend $100 on a few twilight rounds where you can practice various iron shots from the fairway. I think you will find this far more valuable and rewarding.

FYI: I agree with everything mentioned in powerfade's post.

One of the things I see a lot of people do is equate the number of balls hit with quality practice.

Obviously, I don't know about you, but perhaps you could help your game, and your wallet, if you slow down, think about each shot, aim carefully, follow your pre-shot routine, and hit one bucket instead of two.

Here's my suggestion.

Bad idea

Get a net for your yard, one of those balls attached to a string or just dry swing if you cant get the range deals mentioned.

Taylormade TP 2010 9.5 Fubuki stiff
07 Burner 5W stiff

Adams F11 Ti 3W Adilia NVS Stiff
Bobby Jones 21* & 25* Hybrid
AP1 4-gw
CG14  60*::X forged Vintage 56* Ping b60 putter Balls: Bridgestone B330, ProV, Goals: Shot par over 18 holes, Best shot: Par 5 18th hole, Alling Memorial New haven CT; holed my 2nd shot for an Albatross! (June 20th, 2008)

My suggestion, as a fellow high-handicapper and ball-loser, is to first cut down the number of hours at the range. If you're going that often, then you are probably not seeing an improvement (if you saw improvement, you wouldn't feel the need to go to the range so often). Since you're not seeing improvement, all you are doing is ingraining some bad technique.

Ditto.

One of the things I see a lot of people do is equate the number of balls hit with quality practice.

Ditto.

#1) If you are spending $75 a week, that means you are hitting 10 big buckets a week. My guess is that you are hitting one, hitting one, hitting one, hitting one, etc. Try a full shot routine. Leave all the balls in the bucket. Reach down, pick up one ball. Tee it up (or place it in the grass for "approach" shots). Step back, and aim your shot. Pick a target. Do your practice swing. Setup and stepup to the ball. Do your waggle. Swing. Hold your finish. Watch the ball all the way until it hits the ground and watch it all the way until it stops rolling. Relax. Determine what you liked / didn't like about that shot. Step back. Make a mental note: were you on target? Finally, reach down and pick up another ball and start again. You'll get MORE out of each shot. And you'll get an opportunity to translate what you are doing at the range into what you are doing out on the course. You won't need as many buckets of balls, and you'll get more accomplished. #2) GET A LESSON! Trust me. From the guy that didn't want to spend money on them (and why I started adopting #1 as well, since it was cheaper). I can't tell you how important even one lesson is. You can swing a club a million times, but unless you have someone just standing there watching you may not realize what you are doing well or what you are doing inconsistently. An observer's experienced set of eyes will pay off for you big time. At $75 a week, you could get one lesson each week. By the end of the year, instead of ingraining flaws into your swing, you could drop tons of strokes off your handicap and become much more consistent. I would LOVE the opportunity to do that. In fact, I will be. My wife just offered to pay for 5 lessons for me. Its much better than me just "guessing" out at the range or on the course. It will be quality time spent with someone to monitor all the good / bad things I'm doing and help me to correct them. I guess that's the whole point. QUALITY over Quanity. Good luck!

10.5* Driver (don't really ever use it)
3w, 5w
23* hybrid
5i through PW, SW
60* Wedge.....................................................................mellojoe

do you have a public golf course with a practice area? all you need to practice is about 50 yards or less. Practice your pitch shots only and once you have mastered making solid contact consistently your golf swing will improve including hitting your driver.

I tried it and it works, but best of all its free!

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

i pay about $100 a month for 18 large buckets. I just love the range since i don't have much time to get out and play. Its the only way to practice my swing and tempo.

Note: This thread is 5749 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!