IGNORED

How often do you wash your clubs?

NI4NI
Note: This thread is 5745 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm talking about a thorough good ole' fashion washing: "rinse-lather-repeat" cycle, using two buckets of water (soapy and fresh), sponge, groove cleaning, maybe some 'goo be gone' for stubborn sticker removal, grip refresh, (waxing?), nice fluffy dry cotton towel,...

I'm sure that we have a good representation of Oscars and Felixes in this forum (Odd Couple reference), so this should be interesting.

I'll tee it up - I usually get 2 to 3 thorough club cleanings in per season (of course, depending on frequency of play. The last one is done before the clubs get put away for the winter).

Since I am a clean ball striker (picker versus digger), the clubs don't get too roughed up during a round. However, this year has been a very wet one in New England, so there's plenty of mud caking up the hosels and grooves. I also do a pretty good job drying off the sticks between shots, so problems don’t tend to mount (except that I’ve been in way too may bunkers this year…).

Also, any neat tips and tricks employed to keep the washings down to a minimum would be great to know!

Happy Hitting

Try to keep the grooves cleaned out on a regular basis....after every few rounds.

Sounds crazy...but I wash my truck every week....lot of times I'll pull my sticks out and scrub 'em down good at the same time.

909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

same here... I try to keep my clubs clean, but I don't spend a great deal of time on it. As long as I can get most of the dirt off the club faces, I'm happy.

Don't know if this is the way people get with clubs but... as a musician I put a lot of value on a good worn in guitar, where you can see the paint wearing off in certain places, a couple dings, and of course lots of wear on the back of the neck. It's a sign that whoever owns that guitar really loves to play it... Do more accomplished golfers get that way about their clubs? Or are they fragile enough that you have to replace them after a certain period of time? Maybe just the putter? That seems to be a mainstay when the rest of the set goes...

Just curious what the more experienced in the crowd have to say about it.

What's in my Golf Bag:
Clubs

same here... I try to keep my clubs clean, but I don't spend a great deal of time on it. As long as I can get most of the dirt off the club faces, I'm happy.

golf clubs wear out(grooves). musical instruments gain character.

My Blog

I wash after every 54 holes on average...but a lot of times before than too.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I dont wash them with soap and water, but after a round I will scrub them with my club cleaning brush and some water to clean all the dirt off and to clean the dirt out of the grooves.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Well, wouldn't you know it, once I posted this thread, I went out and mowed my lawn. Then, I washed down my mower (have a Toro with the wash out port on top of the deck). Once this was done, and the hose was out, I proceeded to take out all my clubs (2 sets), fill up two pails (soapy and fresh), get my cleaning tools, and then give the clubs a little "how's your father".

I just can't seem to help myself - once I get started, I kinda get carried away (which is why I have to be really careful when tinkering around the house. What starts off as a vinyl siding power washing, seems to turn into windows, roof, deck, truck, van, kids, neighbors,...). A one-hour job balloons into a six-hour marathon!

For me, it's all or nuthin'.

I clean my clubs once or twice a month thoroughly. I try to keep them clean between washes. I clean each iron face usually after every shot or two, especially wedges. My towel on my bag gets a regular washing because it gets green and dirty all the time.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

I wash them 4-5 times a year.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Am I just crazy?
I wash them after every time I hit balls.

905R
LD-F 3-Wood
Vokey Oil-Can 252-08 degree
Cobra C Wedge 56-11 Vokey Oil-Can 260-08 degree Scotty Cameron Newport 2 35'' Pro V1x

Try to keep the grooves cleaned out on a regular basis....after every few rounds.

I also wahs my clubs every week.

Regards!

Driver: 905R 9.5° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Fairway: 906F2 15° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Hybrid: 585.H 21° (S300) | Irons: AP2 4-PW (Project X 6.0) | Wedges: Vokey Design 52.08, 56.11 & 60.11  | Putter: Studio Select Newport 2 

www.flickr.com/avm_photo

considering i work at a pro shop with access to a club washer whenever i need one i try to wash them every 36 holes or so...

In my Nike Tour Stand bag:
Adams Golf Idea Pro Gold Irons
Nike SuMo Sasquatch 10.5* Stiff Shaft Proforce v2
Nike Slingshot 3 Hybrid 20*
Nike SuMo2 5 Hybrid 25*

Nike SV Tour Wedges 52*, 56*

Nike Ignite Mallet Putter

Titleslist Pro V1, Bridgestone e6 and B330S

I do it whenever they look like they need it.

Yesterday I polished my putter for the first time since bought it maybe five, even six years ago. I could see the whites in my eyes on the reflection in the face, getting the rest of it to clean up is proving tough though!

In the Matrix XTT Standbag:

Driver: Biggest Big Bertha 11*
Fairway Wood: Steelhead Plus 3 Wood
Irons: T-Zoid Titanium Insert irons 3-SWWedge: Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.04Putter: Pro Platinum Laguna 34" w/ British Open '04 headcoverBall: ProV1 Rule35 Playing again after a three year hiatus...

whenever i play early in the morning with the fresh dew

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

I keep my clubs pretty clean after each shot or practice session, but I break out the soap and bucket about once a month. If I'm playing or practicing alot or during hotter months when I'm putting my sweaty paws on my grips more often I'll go to every two to three weeks.
In my bag:

Driver: FT-5, 9° stiff
Wood: Big Bertha 3W/5W
Irons: X-20 TourWedges: X Tour 52°/56°Hybrids: Idea Pro 2/3/4Putter: Black Series #2Ball: NXT Extreme/NXT Tour

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

use a wet towel to wipe them after every shot that gets them dirty. If theyre caked in mud i use a brush and soapy water before i play the next round.

MacTec 460 Draw Driver
V-Foil M565 Irons
MT 3 Wood
GigaGolf 52deg gap wedge
Wilson 55deg sand wedge MT Don White 60deg Lob wedgeknockoff 2-ball putter

Note: This thread is 5745 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!