IGNORED

Could I Benefit from Stiff Shafts?

nokmond
Note: This thread is 5675 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all, i've reduced my handicap from 24 in april to 14 now which i'm delighted about . Mainly because i finally cured my slice with driver and every iron in my bag!

I'm hitting each club about 20yards further than i used to. Pw 130y, 7i 165, 5i 200y, driver 270+.

All my shafts are regular so i was just wondering if i could get any benefit from stiff shafts?

In my Sun Mountain bag :

Driver : R7 Superquad
Irons : MX-900 3i - PW
Wedges : CG14 52 & 56Putter : 'Fang' #7Balls : TP Red

Could use some more info. Do you hook/slice at all? draw/fade? Do you hit a high ball or low ball?

In my experience, a stiffer shaft helps with the control and ball trajectory, but you might lose some distance. I just got a new set with stiffer shafts than what I used to play. It has really helped with keeping the ball straight and not spraying it all over. But I have lost about 5 yards per club. If I can keep hitting the ball where I aim, I can deal with that.

If you can get a hold of some demo clubs or a fitting cart with a bunch of different shaft just hit a few and see what you think. I hit many balls with 5 different shafts until I found the one that worked best for me.

If you don't see a drastic improvement then don't switch. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

A stiff shaft is a completely different feel, as it should be. I would keep the flex you ahve now unless you feel you are overpowering it. In a game the felx doesnt matter it's how you hit each club that counts. I would test it out and see if you like feel, if not "Laisez-Faire".

I completely agree with prior posters that emphasis on the stiffness of shafts is a completely useless exercise. It's not a contest where the golfer with the stiffest shaft (no pun intended) wins, it's the guy who puts the ball in the bottom of the cup with the fewest number of swings. Everybody thinks all the pros use stiff or extra-stiff shafts because of their swing speed, but that is entirely untrue. Daly uses regular flex (or so it's rumored) and no one is going to say he can't put the ball out there. Shaft stiffness is more a function of swing tempo; for example, I have a very quick transition from my backswing, and with regular shafts on my woods I could feel the head whip around, which didn't help me hit the ball with consistency; when I switched to stiff shafts the problem disappeared. Who cares what staff stiffness you're playing with if you're the leader in the clubhouse? I'd proudly admit to using senior or women's flex if I won the local tournament with it. If you're hitting your clubs well, why fool around with the recipe?

In my C-130 Cart Bag:

Driver: Titleist D2 10.5° Aldila R.I.P. 60
Woods Exotics CB4 15° Aldila R.I.P. 70
Hybrids Exotics CB4 17°, 22° Aldila R.I.P. 80 

Irons 4-PW MP-57 Project X 6.0, MP-29 PW

Wedges  Eidolon 52°, 60° Rifle Spinner 6.5

Putter Bettinardi BB12

Ball One Black

Rangefinder Nikon Laser 500"Golf...

• 2 weeks later...
Totally agree with hamletsdead...

I've just got my AP2's with Rifle Flighted 6.0. And coming from a set of Wilson deep red with fatshat (regular and unfitted), I can feel the change. And that be to the positive side.

But whether one can benefit from stiff shafts depends on so many variables. For example, besides that I now have stiff, I also switched to larger grips, ½'' longer shafts and a 2deg uprightness. But all this was something my local pro, who knows my swing, figured out for me.

Go consult your local pro, he/she probably knows better than yourself what you need to take the full advantage of your swing..

/Andreas

Only way to find out is by trying, take a trip to your local dealer and try out a gew different shafts.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5675 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!