IGNORED

Where can I find out my swing speed?

Uthinkso
Note: This thread is 5694 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm buying new irons this winter and plan to add a 5 wood to my arsenal. Where can I find out my swing speed? Is this something most golf centers can check?
Weapons Of Choice
R5 Dual 9.5* Driver
R7 Draw Hybrid 3
Tight Lies #4 16* Fairway Wood
HCT Tour Irons 5-SW CG-11 52 CG-11 56 CG-11 60 BC-101 Putter

If your golf center got a simulator or some device which can record your swing speed, then yes, that should not be a problem. I'd think most golf centers that offer club making have got this equipment. The only way to find out is by calling your local center and ask.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you are like the majority of people on this forum then your SS is probably around 120.

That's pretty funny.

Your local golf emporium of choice should have a launch monitor that gives you a rough estimate of swing speed, but I emphasize the word "rough." I thought my 3W was too whippy with a regular shaft, so I went to mine to see if my swing speed warranted a stiffer shaft, and the machine said 85-87-89-91-83 etcetera, which seemed wrong to me, since I knew the damn thing was whipping around on me. I also have a bit of a quick transition, so whippiness may occur regardless of swing speed, but it still seemed off to me. So the clubmaker at the same store took out a different swing speed monitor and plugged it in next to the first and it read 98-99-103-105-101-99-103 -- basically 10 mph faster on average. Being really confused, I left the shop without doing anything at all to my shaft, and then borrowed one of these devices that you attach to the shaft when practicing. It had my driver swing down as consistently 101-102-103, so using the 2-heads-are-better-than-1 principle, I figured my swing speed is about 100 mph, and got a stiffer shaft, and lo and behold no more whippiness. Long story short, get it measured 2-3 times at different places until you get a consistent sense of what your speed is. Even if you swing fast, however, you might not need a stiffer shaft. If you have a nice, smooth, rhythmic backswing and easy transition you could be fine with a regular shaft at 100 or 110 (or even 120) mph. If the ball goes where you want it to go -- way out there in the middle of the fairway -- it doesn't really matter what your SS is.

In my C-130 Cart Bag:

Driver: Titleist D2 10.5° Aldila R.I.P. 60
Woods Exotics CB4 15° Aldila R.I.P. 70
Hybrids Exotics CB4 17°, 22° Aldila R.I.P. 80 

Irons 4-PW MP-57 Project X 6.0, MP-29 PW

Wedges  Eidolon 52°, 60° Rifle Spinner 6.5

Putter Bettinardi BB12

Ball One Black

Rangefinder Nikon Laser 500"Golf...

Note: This thread is 5694 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!