IGNORED

What are your swing fundamentals?

kc8kir
Note: This thread is 5695 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Lots of people are coming up with the "New swing fundamentals" lately, challenging the old-school thinking about the golf swing. I think it would be interesting to hear from everyone what you think the fundamentals of the swing are, say in 3-5 bullet points. I'll give mine to start:

1) Consistent tempo, balance, setup, and posture
2) A smooth takeaway
3) A full release of the swinging club
4) A strike that hits the ball first, then the ground, resulting in forward divots.

What are your "modern swing fundamentals"?
Favorite Practice Course:
Z Boaz Municipal, Fort Worth <<< Ben Hogan grew up playing here!
--------------------------------------------------

In the bag: 983E 9.5*, Fuji Speeder S RPM LP, 4W, Neutral Bias STAFF Ci6 irons, S (going up for sale soon) Tom Watson PVD 08 Wedges (G.S,L)... and a 4...

1) keep everything together... hip pivot/chest turn/arms
2) don't move your head.
3) transferring my weight

those are my three major points, not sure if they are very modern; they don't look it . but those are my fundamentals

1) Clear mental concept of the action to be performed.
2) Grip and Posture.
3) Leverage.
4) Coil compression.
5) Viable Range of Motion.
6) Levels.
7) Swing radius.

Some of these terms are likely unfamiliar to most readers, but I believe if these 7 fundamentals are learned and employed, balance will be achieved and all thoughts of "sequencing" become irrelevant, allowing for free and authoritative swinging.

1) Square, balanced setup
2) A connected, on plane takeaway
3) Stable, flexed back knee
4) On Tempo downswing

My Clubs
Nicklaus Progressive XC Irons: 3H,4H, 5-GW
Ray Cook SW & Gyro 1 Putter
Taylor Made Burner Driver 10.5
Taylor Made V-Steel 3 & 5 MetalsMy Home Course: Indian RiverMy Blog: Rant-o-Rama-Ding-Dong

1 Firm grip
2 Stable stance
3 Tension free set up
4 One piece takeaway
5 Stable right leg on backswing
6 Hips drive the shoulders, which drive the arms with a connect swing
7 Extension of arms beyond impact
8 Consistent set up and tempo

STR8 Dymo 10.5
Dymo 3W
Mid Rescue 3
MP-33 4-PW
Eidolon 52* GW LW, SW Titleist Bullseye Putter

alignment
loose grip with proper grip
arm position to ball
shoulder tilt
posture
feet and width of my feet
slow and deliberate take away
elbow close to the body
club position
breaking my wrist and picking up the club
back swing and full shoulder and hip turn
downswing initialed with my hips
head behind the ball and shift the weight forward to my front foot
follow through with hips pointing to the target

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

1) Proper Alignment.
2) A smooth takeaway and good shoulder turn.
3) Create some lag and hit through the ball and not "at the ball."
4) A nice, high finish with my midsection pointing at the target.

When all that fails, buy some new clubs.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

On The Course

1) Aim the clubface at the target then place my feet into postion.

2) Set my posture and balance my weight

3) Finally just pull the trigger, I've been playing too long to think about much else.

During Practice

I will work on certain moves or aspects of the swing but on the course I want it to be more automatic and less thought on swing mechanics.

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

I try not to think about my swing at the time, but basically, I try to keep an even plane (as in not looping my swing), keep my arms in (no flying elbow nonsense), and following straight through the ball, although a swing is far more complicated than that.

-Rich

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Tempo - Backswing
Hips - Start the Downswing
Fade - Swing plane
Compress - The ball

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

My ideal fundamentals are modeled on Hogan's.

Strong grip, single swing plane.

Complete backswing into right leg, right hip rotates backwards to target.

Rotate hips hard to post left hip over left leg ASAP.

Use body pivot to release club low left instead of rolling the forearms.

Keep club connected and synchronized with body throughout.

Keep hands passive in the downswing.

Maintain setup angles throughout.

Maintain lag as long as possible.

I'm going to add one more to mine.

5) A feeling of constant connection of the upper arms to ribcage, both arms, for the entire swing. Keeps my swing compact and body controlled. Eliminates excess arm movement and helps the arms follow the body so impact occurs ball then ground. I hit some of my best shots ever yesterday keeping this in mind. It's a keeper.
Favorite Practice Course:
Z Boaz Municipal, Fort Worth <<< Ben Hogan grew up playing here!
--------------------------------------------------

In the bag: 983E 9.5*, Fuji Speeder S RPM LP, 4W, Neutral Bias STAFF Ci6 irons, S (going up for sale soon) Tom Watson PVD 08 Wedges (G.S,L)... and a 4...

I think the grip depends hugely on personal anatomy; so I won't include it in general fundamentals.

1. Square set-up, body not so close to the ball that the arms don't have room to swing from the inside, and also not so far from the ball that the swing is off balance.

2. Spine tilted slightly away from the target.

3. Takeaway is done by turning the shoulders; not by moving the arms or the hands independently. The triangle of the shoulders and arms should be steady until the club is at least parallel to the ground. The left arms remains straight throughout, meaning the arc remains wide.

4. The shoulder turn is about 90* from target line, the hip turn is about 45* from target line, meaning there is a 45* "coil" in the torso.

5. The downswing starts with the hips and torso rotating together, so that the "coil" is preserved until the release.

6. The shoulders uncoil during the release. The arms follow the shoulders. The hands follow the arms. These movements should be thought of as "passive"; the arms and hands do move, but it shouldn't be done consciously, as the movement will be more coordinated if it's "passive". The other advantage to having the hips pull the shoulders which pull the hands which pull the arms is it avoids swings which are quick from the top or which are over the top.

7. The natural result of the hips starting the downswing is that they will be open at impact. The weight transfer is the natural result of this lower body action. If the hips turn open and then the shoulders/arms swing through, the weight should land on the front foot. It's a symptom of a well coordinated swing.

8. The arms should finish high; this is the result of swinging from the inside, which is the result of the rest of the mechanics. As the arms swing from the inside and extend forward in the release, they'll carry through down the target line and finish high, and you'll get a straight ball or a draw. If they don't, then either the takeaway wasn't unified, or the arms got ahead of the swing, or the shoulders were open at impact, or the ball was too close and the swing had to be pulled out-to-in to meet the ball location. In any of these cases, you probably sliced the ball.

That's how I think of my own golf swing (which I guess is modern; I only learned it this year), fundamentally speaking.

-Andrew

1. Solid base starting with a right knee that doesn't go anywhere on the backswing.
2. "Feeling" the club slightly shut on takeaway to keep from fanning it.
3. Standing tall to the ball like a player.
4. Setting up in a basic athletic position (as if you were playing defense in basketball - the knee injury that sent me back into golf ).
5. Using the feel of my left thumb to monitor grip pressure, face angle and backswing pace.
7. Using much shoulder turn and little hip turn on the backswing.
8. "Start Behind It - Stay behind It"
9. Most important lesson learned in the past couple of years: Arms hanging straight down and moving closer to the ball. I can trap my wedges better and everything else is a lot straighter.

Summary: my swing fundamentals are all about set up and backswing. When the downswing starts, there's not enough time to think.
It's "Turn your back to the target and hit it time".

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

Note: This thread is 5695 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!