IGNORED

when to switch to blades

donkba
Note: This thread is 5689 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

ive been playing for about 2 years and am playing off 14. my current clubs are mid sized cavity backs and the reason i am off 14 is because i cannot hit my driver very well (average about 220 yards) and due to the fact that i have not got a full set of clubs (driver, 6i, 8i, 9i, sw, putter) so some greens are out of reach. i hit my irons very well and it is probably the strongest part of my game, my distances are: 6i - 180 yards
8i - 150 yards
9i - 140 yards
sw - 100 yards
so you see, i have trouble on the course where i would normally use a 5 iron because i have to muscle a 6 iron the same distance and the 7 iron and pw distances, so i am looking for some new irons to last me a while and was wondering whether you think i would be ready for blades based on the distance i hit my current clubs (btw im fairly consistent with them) as i was thinking if i get cavity backs and get to about 5 handicap or below, i would need some blades anyway, but if i got blades now and got down to 5 with them, then i would not have to change clubs.

You don't need blades when you reach single and below. There are pros using cavity backs all the time.

To find out what you need, take a trip to your local dealer and try out different sets.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

as i was thinking if i get cavity backs and get to about 5 handicap or below, i would need some blades anyway, but if i got blades now and got down to 5 with them, then i would not have to change clubs.

Where on earth does this idea come from?

As Zeph said, many pros use CB clubs. Many of the players on this forum like to use blades (even though a lot of them aren't really blades at all) but it has little to do with their handicap or skill level. One would think it should be, but many mid handicappers enjoy using blades for various reasons, all discussed at length on this site, but it isn't something you will have to do. I mean - there is another thread about someone buying a 1 iron. I think there might be one touring pro using a one iron at the moment, and even he might have given up on it or lost his card. You use the clubs that you want to use and that's that. If that means blades and a 1 iron, great, but it won't necessarily make the game easier or improve your game.

blades are not solely meant for tour pros, i was merely suggesting that if you are a 5 handicap or below, you should be at a level where you are more suited to blades than cavity backs and if i were to get to 5 or below, i would certainly favour blades over cavity backs. if you cannot hit blades and you are 5 or below, then there is something wrong with your iron play

That's not the point. The point is to buy and use clubs that suit you best . If a club with cavity back gives you better results than a blade, why would you need the latter? It's not a matter of being able to use blades, it's about what you need. Every swing, body and player is individual, that's why there is no club that is better than the other, since it's all about personal prefers. There is no guarantee that switching to blades will improve your game in any way. It may just as well make it harder.

Why would you prefer blades when you don't know how you play with them?

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

i do know how i play with blades actually, and i hit them the same as my irons. how will playing with blades make the game harder if you are already a good ball striker and can hit blades reasonably well? ill admit it will take time to get used to them, but ive got a good 7 months to practice. whats the point in cavity backs if youve got a swing flaw like over the top and the ball goes reasonably straight and you then think you have got a good swing when you havent. blades will not cover the swing flaw up and will force you to improve your swing with practice to be able to hit them

people may think " hes off 14 so theres no way he can hit blades" but i hit my irons better than most. there is a guy off scratch at our club and i hit my irons with the same distance and control as him but the reason he is better is because he is about 50 yards longer with his woods and has a short game better than mine. we actually swapped clubs and his blades were no different to my clubs.

Why ask the question?
You seem to be fixed on getting blades, so why not just get them.

Its pretty pointless to ask the question and then not listen to the answers people give because they are not what you want to hear.

The questions is directly related to the answers you've recieved. There is no time or level of hcp where you should switch. Some people start with blades at hcp 36 and do great, some play with cavity back from 36 to scratch.

The only way to find out for yourself is by trying. You can read yourself silly on swing tips, equipment tips etc. in this game, but ultimately it all boils down to your swing and your preferences, not everbody else's.

The part about forgiveness and how blades improve your swing is also a truth with modifications. There are very few clean blades on the market now. You got muscle back, cavity, cavity back, cut muscle, dual muscle etc. All of these have their differences, you can't tell for sure if you play better or more consistently with blades. Just read a bit on this forum about high handicappers and their first impressions of blades.

so i am looking for some new irons to last me a while and was wondering whether you think i would be ready for blades based on the distance i hit my current clubs (btw im fairly consistent with them) as

i asked when should you switch to blades not whether i should get blades or cabvity backs. get it right before you say something

Think my quotes say enough.

When to switch to blades? anytime you can afford them. I recommend the Mizuno mp33 for about $250 - $500 on ebay depending on the condition of the clubs, you will not be disappointed.

I switch from the mp30 to the blades and playing my best golf. Do I think that there is a better match cavity back irons for my game, possibly, but I like the ideal and the look of the blades in my bag, I will admit that.

Blades are not that difficult to hit and you can always play a combination 8-PW blade and 7-5 iron cavity back iron in your bag, so go for it and try it out, I believe that it will improve your game in the long run, it has for me, I have shot my 3 lowest scores under par and now playing my best golf consistently.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

When other people buy them for you...i.e. when you have a sponsor.

Driver: Ping Rapture V2 9° TFS Stiff | 3 wood: Exotics CB 15° Fujikura HL Stiff | Hybrids: Adams Idea Tech V3 16° Stiff, TM Burner Rescue 19° & 22° REAX Stiff | Irons: Titleist 735.CM DG S300 5-PW | Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 254.10, 258.08 | Putter: Rossa Imola 34"

ive been playing for about 2 years and am playing off 14. my current clubs are mid sized cavity backs and the reason i am off 14 is because i cannot hit my driver very well (average about 220 yards) and due to the fact that i have not got a full set of clubs (driver, 6i, 8i, 9i, sw, putter) so some greens are out of reach. i hit my irons very well and it is probably the strongest part of my game, my distances are: 6i - 180 yards

Distance should have nothing to do with your decision. It should be based on how often you hit the sweetspot. Don't tell me you hit it there all the time. Be honest with yourself.

Buy some impact tape. Go to the range and see how close you are to the sweetspot. A step better would be to play a practice round of golf using the tape. Change it often. If you aren't consistently hitting the sweetspot, your decision should be easy.

Driver: R7 SuperQuad TP 9.5° Fujikura Rombax 6X07
Hybrid: Rescue TP 19°

Orlimar3wood: Hip-Steel 15° (oldie but goodie)Irons: Ping i10 [4-GW] DG X-100Wedges: Ping Tour-W [54° & 58°] DG X-100Putter: i-Series Piper HBalls: B330-S or e5+

As for WHEN you should switch to blades....
1. when you are hitting the sweetspot 8 or 9 times out of 10
2. when your swing dynamics are making it hard to keep the ball flight down when you need to
3. when not being able to work the ball into left and right pin locations are actually costing you a few strokes a round
4. when you feel blades in the bag better reflect your gaming abilities
5. when the look of cavities at address start to absolutely disgust you and cause you to have problems during your setup
6. when feedback becomes as important or more so than forgiveness

just some ideas. Good luck!

you sound like me, i got my s59 about 5 months ago and i absolutely love them, but my game is just now getting back to where it was when i had my i3's. I love the look and feel of them but i like looking at my scores in the 70's more. if anyone tells you blades are easy they are lying, i dont think there is a golfer out there that wouldn't play them if they are so easy to hit. i am a firm believer that blades(players irons) do not make you a better player. if i put on a racing helmet am i jeff gordon? NO. just be prepared for your game you get worse. If you hit 14/18 gir with your irons now then i would say you would go to 10-11 gir just based on the diffuculty difference between the two. and also if i were you i would learn how to hit a driver if you want your scores to come down.

but i have ping i5's on the way, would you be interested in my s59's, 5-pw. prolly sell them for like $185 plus shipping. they are in good shape. very good grooves.

-matt

Driver: 09 Burner 10.5 Aldila NV 65 X Stiff
3wd: G10 14* Aldila NV 85 X Stiff
Hybrid: G10 18* Aldila NV 105 X Stiff
3-PW: I10 X100
Wedge: Tour 52* & 58* S400Putter: Circa 62 No.2 35" Ball: Tour IXLowest 9 (-E) 36Lowest 18 (+2) 73

i asked when should you switch to blades not whether i should get blades or cabvity backs. get it right before you say something

.....and the answer was pretty emphatic along the lines of "There is no specific time - perhaps never a time". And regarding your boast that you have the same skills in iron play as the scratch player is not supported by what you said. So what if he's longer? You're still hitting irons into the greens. If he can give you 14 shots a round, your iron play is not comparable. If it was the case, you might find that your 5 iron is roughly as good as his 7 iron.

blades are not solely meant for tour pros, i was merely suggesting that if you are a 5 handicap or below, you should be at a level where you are more suited to blades than cavity backs and if i were to get to 5 or below, i would certainly favour blades over cavity backs. if you cannot hit blades and you are 5 or below, then there is something wrong with your iron play

This is the most bs statement I've heard. Just as some people said, people have 36 handicaps with blades and people have +6s(is tiger a +6 or +8 idk)

Your handicap has nothing at all to do with what irons you should play. You need to find irons that suit your game. I hate this, don't ask a question when you already have an answer in your mind and refuse to respect others. Another poster gave a great answer, and you told him to, not post unless he has it right?

Note: This thread is 5689 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!