IGNORED

Top Flite D2 (I know, it's Top Flite)

Note:Β This thread is 4177 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Am playing what could be my last round of the season this coming weekend and have run out of my supply of golf balls. I am a "play what I find" type player, but do certainly have my preferences and seem to like the medium soft type balls. Have never liked hitting the Top Flites though, but all of the recent reviews I hear about the D2's has me interested in experimenting this weekend. Because I am playing in a large group this weekend, I would like to get a box of all the same balls for consistency.

Typically with a high spin ball, my drives tend to be a bit on the wild side with mostly a fade, but sometimes a slice and sometimes straight. I tend to miss more from pushing the ball than turning it, but have cured that problem for the most part. Harder balls I can obviously hit straighter, but do not like the feel.

I have heard good things about all three D2's, the Straight, Distance, and Feel. The straight intrigues me since it might help with that slight fade, but the feel intrigues me for it's flight and softness. Not sure how much straighter the straight will be from the feel and just trying to get an impression from you guys. The Distance ball I am less interested in since Distance is not a problem for me.

Anyway, if anybody out there has played one or multiple of these I would like your input. Again, this is just an experiment and my intention is to buy one of the D2's for this round, so please keep that in mind and do not try to sell me on the Pro V1 (which I like the feel of but have a hard time with). Any information on these three balls is much appreciated.

Try a sleeve of the 3 piece Top Flight Gamers too; I would describe it has a medium soft ball. I preferred them over the D2 Feels.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

I actually liked the Top Flite Freak too. It is as straight as can be off of the tee and relatively soft.

I didn't like the D2 that much though, but I do like the Gamer a lot.

In the
AMP Cart Bag
Driver : 3Dx Square Tour 8Β°
3 Wood : 4DX
2H : Edge CFT TitaniumIrons : M685 3-PWWedges : CG12 Satin 54Β° and 58Β°Putter : Odyssey White XG #9 33"Balls : Staff ZIP

Another Gamer fan here. Good off the tee and decent around the greens.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

I actually liked the Top Flite Freak too. It is as straight as can be off of the tee and relatively soft.

I thought about the Freak, but was kind of under the impression that it was like hitting a rock.

I had found a gamer while I was playing once, in very new condition and tried it. Had it for two holes, hit it ok for the first one, then hit an epic slice off the tee for the second hole and never saw it again. It felt great, pretty soft and playable. May try a sleeve of them next year.

I picked up a sleeve of Top-Flite Infinity Ideal Spin for $5. The best ball I've ever used that was that inexpensive. They fly straight and far, have great action around the greens.

I Ebayed 3 dozen 5A used for about $20. Pretty darn good for the price. I'll use them a lot thru the winter rounds I play, that way I don't use up my Srixon and my NXT's.

I have played the D2 Feel and Straight. Both were good balls for the price. I didn't notice much difference between the two other than you can't really mark the Straight balls due to the slick coating. Sharpie just wipes right off.

In myBagBoy Revolver: HiBore XL 10.5Β° Γ’Β’ HiBore 3W Γ’Β’ Halo 2i, 3i & 4i
MX900 5-PW Γ’Β’ MP-R 52-07Β° & 58-10Β° Γ’Β’ Studio Select Squareback 1

Carl Spackler: This is a hybrid. This is a cross of Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia. The amazing stuff...

Try the Freak, I reall like this ball. I get spin around the greens (or so it seems to me) and good distance, I was really impressed. Tried the Gamer but it did not do any more for me than the Freak. I use the D2 Feel also. You have to check out the web site, they have an interview with the D2 Man and Kenny Maine, awesome... jmoc

"Courage is fear holding on one minute longer." Gen. Geo. S. Patton, 5 June 1944

Grom Desert Camo
Dymo HL Driver and 5 Wood
GC Hybrids 3-5 i15 irons 6-pw Tour-W 50*, 54* and 58* wedges White Hot XG Hawk Freak Neo GPS

Played a couple rounds with the Gamer. Pretty good ball overall IMO. It had good distance, decent around the greens, and a nice feel. Only drawback for me was the durability. It got some scuffs after a good wedge shot, but other than that, I'd play it again.

- Tour Issue Taylormade R7 Superquad TP Matrix Ozik Xcon 5 X-stiff
- Nike Dymo 3 Wood UST Axivcore Stiff
- Nike Dymo 5 Wood UST Axivcore Stiff- Nike Blades 3-PW S300- Nike SV Tour 50* 54* 58* S400- Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Beach- Nike Tour D

I have not played with top flites in a while but I have heard that they have improved a lot. I will try to check them out when I run out of my current stash of balls.

Keep it on the short grass.

I have not played with top flites in a while but I have heard that they have improved a lot. I will try to check them out when I run out of my current stash of balls.

No doubt from their parent company's influence, Callaway Golf.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

Well, went to the store yesterday with a friend of mine who is a novice player and also playing in the same golf outing I am this weekend. I bought some D2 Feels and he bought the straights and we swapped out half. Think I will try the Straights on the front and the Feels on the back.

Another Freak fan here. I was one of those snobs who wouldn't even pick up a Top Flite ball if I found it in the woods. I recently decided to try some because I've been hearing good things about them since Callaway bought the brand. Picked up a dozen Freaks and played very well with them.

In the Bag:
Driver:Β Cleveland Launcher Ultralight XL 270

FW: Taylor Made 300 17 degreeΒ 
3-PW: Mizuno MX-23

AW: Mizuno TP-T11 52/07 (Bent to 50)
SW: Mizuno TP-T11 56/10

LW: Mizuno TP-T11 60/05

Putter: Original Ping Zing

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour

Almosst picked up the Freaks, but for some reason my brain was in bargain mode or something. The D2 were on sale for 12.99 for 15 balls and the Freak were 15.99 for 12. Also, distance is not a problem for me and did not want something that I would hit with my irons further than I already do.

I picked up a sleeve of Gamers at the turn last week and I really liked them. I typically hit a Titleist NXT or ProV1.
Weapons Of Choice
R5 Dual 9.5* Driver
R7 Draw Hybrid 3
Tight Lies #4 16* Fairway Wood
HCT Tour Irons 5-SW CG-11 52 CG-11 56 CG-11 60 BC-101 Putter

At the end of last season my wife bought a driver at Golf Galaxy and the salesman gave us a bunch of free sample 2 ball sleeves of the D2 Straights. I never tried them because I was using other balls at the time.

You have to know I'm very prone to a huge slice (something I've been working on). I found the straight to indeed be very straight for me. An added bonus was the balls really don't get dirty, they have an almost teflon like coating on them. I've also played the Gamer. Currently my ball of choice are used ProV1xes off ebay, but once those run out I'm sure I'll be returning to the D2s. I've not tried the freak yet.

I don't know about how well they hold the greens though. I have a tendency to hit all my iron shots really really high, so I don't get much distance (7 iron 140) but when I do hit the green its very rare for my to bounce far from where I impact.

G10 9* Stiff Shaft Driver
R7 Draw 3 Wood
Burner 3 hybrid
26* Baffler Hybrid 5H Stiff Shaft.
Rapture 6-SW (3-5 are retired in favor of hybrids) Vokey Spin Milled 60* Wedge Newport 2 Pinseeker 1600 + ViewTI GPS software for iPhone

• 4 years later...

I know this is a very old thread but here go's.

The D2 Feel is still a great ball. I normally play the Bridgestone B330S, but this ball is a close comparison for a whole lot less. Great feel off the driver and drop and stop on the greens for me even with a 5 iron. At about a $1 a piece you can fill your shag bag with these and then take it to the course with the exact same feel you were getting in the back yard. I love'm.

Driver Β  Β  Β -Β Β K15 10.5 w/ Ping TFC149D Shaft in stiff

4 Wood Β  -Β Β Rapture V2 17.5* Aldila S-75

Hybrid Β  Β - Β Β Super Hybrid SS 19* w/ Matrix Program

Irons Β  Β  Β - Β Β i20's 3-W, UW, SW & LW w/ KBS Tour Stiff +1/2" White Dot

Putter Β  Β - Β Β White Ice #9 33"

Ball Β  Β  Β  - Β Β B330-S & B330-RXS

Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β Β D2 Feel

Β 

Bragging about a 200 yard 7 iron is not golf.

Note:Β This thread is 4177 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!