IGNORED

Which way do you prefer to work the ball?

nevets88
Note: This thread is 5697 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I only work the ball on tee shots where the fairway makes a serious turn or from off the fairway with a reasonable lie and opening. It's easier to play a hard draw than a big fade, which more often than not ends up going straight. Which type of curveball do you prefer?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Striaght would be good for starters

In The Bag
Mizuno MX 560 Driver
Taylor made 3 wood
Mizuno HIFLI 21*
Mizuno MX 25's 4-pwMizuno MX series wedges 50, 56*/11 & 60*Bettinardi C02 putter4 bottles of pilsner,2 packs cigars

I play a natural draw but I also like to fade the ball onto the green.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Natural draw, but can fade when required.....usually !

In my Bag:
909D2 10.5deg DFX Stiff
WarBird 5 Wood - steel shaft.
Titleist AP2 3-PW
Vokey Spin Milled 54 & 60deg 2 Ball Ball : ProV's.

Striaght would be good for starters

You know, I was thinking about this. 99% of golfers natural swing does not produce at straight ball. And yet, so many golfers try to hit the ball straight instead of working with what they've got that day.

I've begun to play a bit of a draw, which I find I have more control over.

907D2 9.5* Mitsubishi Diamana Blue 63g Stiff
905R 9.5* Accra SC75 Stiff
HiBore 15* 3 Wood Aldila NV85 Stiff
20* Pro Gold Hybrid Mitsubishi Rayon JAVLN FX
AP2 4-P,W ProjectX 5.5 Vokey Spin Mill 54.10 & 60.04 Studio Design #3 Cut to 32.5" ProV1x All #6's

i love hitting a crisp, penetrating draw that will stop on a dime on greens and run for quite a bit on the fairway

In my Hoofer Vantage

Driver: 907D2 9.5*
Wood: 906F4 15.5* 3 wood
Hybrid: 585H 19*Irons: i10 3-pwWedges: tp black z 52* & 58*Putter: tracy II

I have a natural fade, but I also like to draw the ball a lot, and sometimes when I'm lucky I hit it straight.
In the Bag:

Driver 10.5 r7 460 ti Reax regular shaft
3 Wood 15.5 LD F Speed Aldila NV stiff shaft
Hybrids 19 Tour Burner Rescue Reax stiff shaft. 21 degree torch series saber shaftIrons Sliver Scot 4-pw Rifle 5.0 shaftsSand Wedge 56 Degree Cg10 Black pearl finish 2 dotLob Wedge 60...

I prefer to play a draw because I feel like it's easier to regulate the amount of draw I put an the ball. I can really play any amount of draw I want, but when I try and fade it it's either straight, a tiny cut, or a legitimate slice.

Driver: Nike VRS Covert 

3 Wood: Taylormade Rocketballz

Hybrid: Nike Sumo 18*

Irons: Titleist AP1 4-PW

Wedges: Cleveland CG12 60* 56* & 52* 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5

I'm most accurate with a slight fade on my irons. With my driver, I usually hit a draw or straight.

My Bag:
Driver: R11

Irons: Titliest MB

Wedge: vokey
Putter: rosa

Balls: whatever I can find

I try to play a fade or straight as I seem to have much more control over the shot. I had a draw prior that too often would turn into a violent hook.

Alan Olson

Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!
Check out our Facebook page!

Little draw with the irons, little fade with the driver and wood.

In my Datrek Rage bag:
Driver: Sumo 5000 w/ Aldila VS Proto Stiff
4-Wood: SasQuatch 2 w/ Diamana Stiff
Irons: AP2 4-PW w/ PX 6.0
Wedges: Zodia US Spec 52*, Yururi Gekku 57*, 588 DSG RTG+Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style 3.5 or Odyssey White Hot Tour #1Ball: ProV1 or whatever I find!

I only work the ball on tee shots where the fairway makes a serious turn or from off the fairway with a reasonable lie and opening. It's easier to play a hard draw than a big fade, which more often than not ends up going straight. Which type of curveball do you prefer?

Draw It travels further and has more spin.

I'm with Mr. Eagle. I want it to go straight.
I usually hit it with a fade, but it's not so much working it, it's just the way it goes! On a dogleg right I can usually create a good slice when I want to . . . but I can also sometimes do that when I DON'T want to!

Maybe in a year or two, if the improvement continues, I'll be able to REALLY work the ball.
My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

The toughest shot in golf is to hit the ball straight. As you get better at this game, your shots tend to get straighter. You also learn or have the the ability to shape shots. I personally do not know many players off handicaps from say 4 and upwards who can and at will, work the ball consistently? If you can, you should be playing off a lower handicap? How can a person off a 15 handicap say they can hit fades on purpose with their irons and then they draw their driver on purpose?
The concept of being able to work the ball both ways is an easy concept being in your set-up/grip etc. There is more to this though as some astute teachers of the game will inform you.
Which way do I prefer to work the ball?
I am a person who likes a hole to go left to right. I love nothing better than hitting at a sand trap on the left and letting it drift back. If I could aim dead center, I would and at times do but I was taught to aim at something and work the ball off it. I think that the majority of golfers (high handicappers) should just aim the ball down the middle and concentrate on that. Forget about working the ball as it means more thinking over the ball. I hope this makes sense.

I personally do not know many players off handicaps from say 4 and upwards who can and at will, work the ball consistently? If you can, you should be playing off a lower handicap? How can a person off a 15 handicap say they can hit fades on purpose with their irons and then they draw their driver on purpose?

While I get the point of what you're saying, please remember that it takes a lot more than working the ball to get to a lower handicap. Some folks can't chip, some can't pitch & some can't putt.

I personally have a "natural" tendency to fade the ball & I would prefer to draw it, but I have a hell of a time trusting my release b/c most of the courses I play are "insiders" for me--meaning that OOB is left. --LBB

Bag: Bagboy NXO Revolver
Driver: Dymo STR8-FIT Tour 9.5
3w: Nike T405w: Nike T40Irons: Mizuno MP-33 3-PWSW: Nike SV Tour Black Satin 56/10LW: Nike SV Tour Black Satin 60/06Ball: Nike TA2/SPN

My well struck shot is a draw. The issues I have is when I over draw or hook the ball. Still a work in progress.

Gary

-----------------------------------------------
In my bag:
G10 Driver 9degree stiff G10 4 wood stiff Ci7 irons 4-GW SW Twoball putter ProV1

• Administrator
Draw It travels further and has more spin.

Travels further: possibly, because it's de-lofted. Has more spin? Unlikely - again, because it's de-lofted.

I prefer to fade the ball slightly.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 5697 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!