IGNORED

DG S300 or Proj X 5.5

Note: This thread is 5659 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

i tried both and opted for the s300. For me, these were way more consistent and did launch the ball lower. In addition, they are a little heavier, which i like. By the way, I play these on my titleist zm blades.

Everardo (a certified Rifle clubfitter) explained the differences in

this thread a while back.
Project X - Stiffest butt section (Hence the very stiff feel). Stiffer tip than regular Rifles but not as much as DG. A little softer mid-section creating a high initial launch but a penetrating (low-spin) ball flight.

Callaway FT-9 Tour I-mix 9.5° Driver (Fujikura Zcom Pro 65 stiff)
Mizuno F-50 15° 3w (Exsar FS2 stiff)
Bridgestone J36 19° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro 23° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro Forged 5-pw Irons (DG Black Gold stiff)Nike SV Tour Black Satin...

The only thing that I can think of that hasn't already been said is that the Project X 5.5's are a little stiffer on the CPM scale(not sure what it stands for, but it compares shaft flexes on an even keel)

For example, a Project X 5.0 is a 5.5 on the CPM, while a 5.5 is 6.0 on the CPM scale, and 6.0 is 6.5, and so on and so forth. While a TTDG S300 is a 5.8 on the CPM, a soft stepped S300 is a 5.5 on CPM, while a hard stepped S300 is 6.0 on the CPM.

Hope that makes sense and helps.

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

• Administrator
The only thing that I can think of that hasn't already been said is that the Project X 5.5's are a little stiffer on the CPM scale(not sure what it stands for, but it compares shaft flexes on an even keel)

I'm not sure you've got that right.

CPM is cycles per minute. A stiffer shaft will vibrate faster. CPMs are more likely to be 300 than they are "5.5." I've always heard that the DG S300 fits pretty much squarely in between the Project X 5.5 and the PX 6.0. In other words, if the DG S300 were a Project X shaft, it would be a PX 5.75 or so. Both have more technology beyond that. The PX shafts are stiff in the butt and the tip while the DGs are stiff in the middle and tip.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

quick question....how does having a shaft that's stiff in the butt end affect ball flight vs a shaft with a stiff mid tip? sorry, this is probably a nub question...

What I Play!

x86 Stand Bag
Driver: 907D2 10.5* w/EPIC-S
Irons: 735.CM irons 4-PW PX 5.5FW Wood: 909F2 15.5* Aldila Voodoo SHybrid: 909.H 21* Diamana Blue Board SWedges: Vokey 250.08 (oil can), Spin Milled 54.11 & 60.07 (Black Ni)Studio Select 2.5Ball: Pro-V1x/Bridgestone B330s (or anything I...

Like iacas said, that's not exactly right. Rifle and Project X shafts are listed by their FCM, not CPM. I have no idea how to convert between the two, but FCM increases as CPM inreases. It is true that S300 shafts equate to about 5.75 FCM.

That being said, I believe Project X shafts are not actually frequency matched like Rifles are. They list them 5.5, 6.0, or whatever, but if you were to put each shaft in the set on a frequency analyzer the CPM would vary according to which iron the shaft was specced for. So, as far as PX 5.5 playing like a 6.0, etc. I don't think it's really an apt comparison, but the stiffer butt section of the PX shafts causes them to feel stiffer than other shafts of the same CPM.
Callaway FT-9 Tour I-mix 9.5° Driver (Fujikura Zcom Pro 65 stiff)
Mizuno F-50 15° 3w (Exsar FS2 stiff)
Bridgestone J36 19° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro 23° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro Forged 5-pw Irons (DG Black Gold stiff)Nike SV Tour Black Satin...

Like iacas said, that's not exactly right. Rifle and Project X shafts are listed by their FCM, not CPM. I have no idea how to convert between the two, but FCM increases as CPM inreases. It is true that S300 shafts equate to about 5.75 FCM.

Sorry you are correct, it's FCM not CPM, I don't know where I got that?

But the rest of my post I stand by, look here for reference. The person who posted that used information from another member on that board, who is a very trusted and respected club fitter.

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

Hit them both if you can, and possibly on a launch monitor. I am in the x flex category but I traded in my x100 for Project X 6.5 a few weeks ago. I am a high spin player and they fit me better. I am very impressed with how much more feel I get from the PX. But again its all about personal preference the previous posters have done a good job explaining the difference, Now if you are looking to choose between the two look at your own game then see which feels better when you hit them.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Hit them both if you can, and possibly on a launch monitor. I am in the x flex category but I traded in my x100 for Project X 6.5 a few weeks ago. I am a high spin player and they fit me better. I am very impressed with how much more feel I get from the PX. But again its all about personal preference the previous posters have done a good job explaining the difference, Now if you are looking to choose between the two look at your own game then see which feels better when you hit them.

Funny, when I compared the PX to the DG, I got more feel w/the DG. I'm used to the DG though so maybe I didn't get

more feel but more familiar feel. I'm still tempted to try out a PX 6.0 or 6.5, when I demoed shafts all that they had was a PX 5.5. Doing so would require that I spend some money though (either reshaft one of my irons or buy a ZM, or even a 695MB, with a PX shaft). It would be a lot easier if I knew somebody who played the PX shafts in my area (as I'm sure many do). Like you, I traded in my X100 when I got the ZM's. Despite my higher swing speed (92-94 w/6-iron) I opted for the S300 though. I never really liked the low launch that I got w/the X100 and the S300 launched a bit higher for me. As I said in another thread, I'll find out next spring if that was the right call or not. So far this fall, it's looking good.

Yonex Ezone Type 380 | Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro | Miura 1957 Irons | Yururi Wedges | Scotty Cameron Super Rat | TaylorMade Penta

• Administrator
But the rest of my post I stand by, look

I'm sure he's a good guy - that same info has been posted here on this forum too:

http://thesandtrap.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8826#17 . I'll continue to trust Everardo (of this forum) and what he's told me, partly because it also aligns with nearly everything else I've always heard about the relative stiffness of Project X and DG shafts. It all comes down to this, in the end: get fit and hit the different shafts. Your tempo might very well affect things more than the small relative differences in flex.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I would get fitted and demo as much as you can.
Shafts work different with each head.
I had X100's in Nike blades a few years ago. I normally play DG S300's.
My new X forged are Project X 5.0.
I went over and over arguing with the pro on the swing monitor. Finally he said take them out for a few rounds and try them (the monitor was inside)
He was right. With this club I hit the 5.0 very consistant and you always want the weakest shaft you hit consistant.

Good luck.
In the bag.....
Burner Superfast
G10 3wd UST V2
hybrid
MP-32 CG10/11 52*,56*,58*,60* wedges Squareback Pro V1Bushnell 1500 Pinseeker T.E. laser range finderBushnell Neo GPS

I don't think it matters too much what the differences are between the two shafts. The biggest thing is how it performs for you and what you want the ball to do. One person may say that shaft 'A' is better than shaft 'B', but that is only what works best for them.

Figure out what you want the ball to do. Do you want to hit it high, low, right to left, etc.? Then find a range or pro shop that has many different demo clubs or something like the Titleist fitting cart and test as many as you can until you find out what works best for you.

I hit both of these shafts extensively this summer and concluded that, for me, the performed pretty much the same. There were subtle differences, but nothing that would lead me to believe one was better than the other. Luckily, the best shaft for me was something different because I don't know how I would have made a decision between the two.

I couldn't really care less what the tip stiffness is, or where the bend point is, or if the butt was stiff or soft. Just let me hit a bunch of balls with each, see what the results are for each, and I will make a decision from there. I am sure there are plenty of charts that will tell you the ideal shaft for your swing, but there is no concrete answer until to test for yourself.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

I recently switched from 3-pw Taylor made Forged Tp with Dg s300

to

5-pw Taylor Made R7 tp with the 6.0 project x shafts

I was concerned about the firmness of the 6.0 Rifles

and it turned out to be a non issue for me . The club / shaft combination seem to fly the ball a little higher across the board.

Actually a little off the subject, I actually replaced my 3 and 4 iron with the Adams idea replacement hybrids partially because I was afraid of the stiffness of the shafts and it turned a weakness 185-215 yardage into a strength.

Long story short all I noticed was a slightly softer feel and a little higher ballflight 5-pw in the project x 6.0 shafts

good luck

The beauty about getting fit for Rifles at a Certified Rifle Center (CRC) is that he/she can get the exact frequency and ball flight built for you. Yes that's a plug for those shops but I'd also say the same about shops who are certified on True Tempers Black Gold shafts. Hope that all helps :)

I just recently put in some Project X 5.5 in my Titleist 735's and I actually found there to be less feel than when I had DG s300's. I actually like the ball flight better with the PX but i kinda miss the feels of my s300. I'd reconsider putting my old shafts back in, but I spent too much money buying the shafts and installing/splining the shafts :(

What I Play!

x86 Stand Bag
Driver: 907D2 10.5* w/EPIC-S
Irons: 735.CM irons 4-PW PX 5.5FW Wood: 909F2 15.5* Aldila Voodoo SHybrid: 909.H 21* Diamana Blue Board SWedges: Vokey 250.08 (oil can), Spin Milled 54.11 & 60.07 (Black Ni)Studio Select 2.5Ball: Pro-V1x/Bridgestone B330s (or anything I...

Note: This thread is 5659 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!