IGNORED

Average Distances - How Far Do You Hit Each Club? (And Don't Lie!)

Note: This thread is 970 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The carry numbers I have in my head for each club during a given round are:

Driver: 285

3W: 260

3hy: 240

4i: 225

5i:210

6i:195

7i:180

8i:165

9i:150

pw:135

52:120

56:105

60: 80

From my club fitting about two weeks ago, just in case :)

I have had issue with breaking 90...always 91, 92, 90 then I looked at my round..my short game was the issue, was loosing 5-6 shots a round...mostly PITCHING from 100 yards in and PUTTING..So i picked a par 3 course...worked on my pitching and short game 125 yards in, also must have played that par 3 course 10-15 times to understand my misses and approach...The last 3 rounds I played (18 hole) ..saved 6-7 shots..86, 84, 84..if im 150 yards in the worst I'll do is bogey...coz I have practices all those and I know my misses..so I don't have to chip (may be twice/round) anything and give my self any chance to to make Par or at worse bogey...So I give myself NO CHANCE TO MAKE anything over Bogey...regardless of what other are doing....Its just I know my game..my strengths and weakness..I am not a long hitter..so I accept it and play to my strengths which is pitching it close (Long Par 4s..I dont try to to hit GIR, instead I will lay up 50 yards and from there I know which club to cary 40ish yards and release 10ish yards). so Im waiting to log another 7 rounds (total of 10 rounds before I change my handicap)..coz old habits can creep in very easily...AFTER ALL GOLF IS ALL ABOUT HAVING FUN AND PLAYING TO YOUR STRENGTHS

Impressive scores for your handicap.  Congrats and keep at it. :)

Bettinardi Golf Kuchar #2 Cobra Bio Cell+ Callaway Razr Hawk 3W TaylorMade SLDR 19H Mizuno JPX 825-Pro 4-AW Scor 55 & 60 (Wedges)

I have had issue with breaking 90...always 91, 92, 90 then I looked at my round..my short game was the issue, was loosing 5-6 shots a round...mostly PITCHING from 100 yards in and PUTTING..So i picked a par 3 course...worked on my pitching and short game 125 yards in, also must have played that par 3 course 10-15 times to understand my misses and approach...The last 3 rounds I played (18 hole) ..saved 6-7 shots..86, 84, 84..if im 150 yards in the worst I'll do is bogey...coz I have practices all those and I know my misses..so I don't have to chip (may be twice/round) anything and give my self any chance to to make Par or at worse bogey...So I give myself NO CHANCE TO MAKE anything over Bogey...regardless of what other are doing....Its just I know my game..my strengths and weakness..I am not a long hitter..so I accept it and play to my strengths which is pitching it close (Long Par 4s..I dont try to to hit GIR, instead I will lay up 50 yards and from there I know which club to cary 40ish yards and release 10ish yards). so Im waiting to log another 7 rounds (total of 10 rounds before I change my handicap)..coz old habits can creep in very easily...AFTER ALL GOLF IS ALL ABOUT HAVING FUN AND PLAYING TO YOUR STRENGTHS

What is the course rating on your track? I only ask because these are typically my scores. A few more on the 86 side of things.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The carry numbers I have in my head for each club during a given round are:

Driver: 285

3W: 260

3hy: 240

4i: 225

5i:210

6i:195

7i:180

8i:165

9i:150

pw:135

52:120

56:105

60: 80

At first I was like: "285 with 92mph clubhead speed???"....then I saw the club. ;)

What did you end up with?

Bettinardi Golf Kuchar #2 Cobra Bio Cell+ Callaway Razr Hawk 3W TaylorMade SLDR 19H Mizuno JPX 825-Pro 4-AW Scor 55 & 60 (Wedges)

At first I was like: "285 with 92mph clubhead speed???"....then I saw the club. ;)

What did you end up with?

I was fitted for the KBS Tour X Soft Stepped once (whatever that means).  It was a toss up between that and the C-Taper KBS X.

Didn't pull the trigger yet, was like 550 bucks to do all the shafts, would rather get a new set.  So just had loft and lie tweaked for now.

My driver shaft is a Kai'li 63X, but 3w and 3hy are both stiffs... current iron is Dynamic gold S300, but thats a different problem for a different thread haha.

Thought you'd all find this link interesting, I don't seem to follow it though as I'm a 22hcp and my drives carry between 240-260yds depending on the day... Just not always in the direction I intended

• Administrator

Didn't you also say that report was from a Trackman or Flightscope, right?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

My local driving range has this system 'Protracer' which shows the flight of the ball and the carry distance. I've been taking down numbers for a while to get yardage averages, check it out... Driver -262 3w -239 4h -221 5h -215 5 -207 6 -198 7 -187 8 -178 9 - 166 Pw F -155 Pw 9 -130 Pw 7.30 - 96 Sw F - 129 Sw 9 - 110 Sw 7.30 - 80 Lw F - 110 Lw 9 - 94 Lw 7.30 - 66 For wedges I take distances for full swing as well as 9 o'clock and 7.30 swings per pelzes suggestion. I've def gained some distance recently (by holding the club more in my fingers) but surely I am not hitting my 9 iron 166 yards?? The odd thing is that at the driver end of the scale, the distances look correct, just the middle and short irons. I've not been out on the course too much recently. Thoughts appreciated.

My local driving range has this system 'Protracer' which shows the flight of the ball and the carry distance. I've been taking down numbers for a while to get yardage averages, check it out... Driver -262 3w -239 4h -221 5h -215 5 -207 6 -198 7 -187 8 -178 9 - 166 Pw F -155 Pw 9 -130 Pw 7.30 - 96 Sw F - 129 Sw 9 - 110 Sw 7.30 - 80 Lw F - 110 Lw 9 - 94 Lw 7.30 - 66 For wedges I take distances for full swing as well as 9 o'clock and 7.30 swings per pelzes suggestion. I've def gained some distance recently (by holding the club more in my fingers) but surely I am not hitting my 9 iron 166 yards?? The odd thing is that at the driver end of the scale, the distances look correct, just the middle and short irons. I've not been out on the course too much recently. Thoughts appreciated.

Do your LW to 9i roll out a lot or just land and sit?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Didn't you also say that report was from a Trackman or Flightscope, right?

sorry for the delayed reply! yes, it was a flightscope, the sensors/lights what have you in the floor under the mat, 6 before the ball 6 after.

• Administrator
sorry for the delayed reply! yes, it was a flightscope, the sensors/lights what have you in the floor under the mat, 6 before the ball 6 after.

That's not a Flightscope. Flightscope and Trackman are doppler radar based systems. They measure a fair amount of things - largely the ball (launch angle, direction, spin, speed, spin axis tilt, etc.).

http://flightscope.com/products/flightscope-x2/

Sensors in the floor are not going to produce terribly accurate measurements for those types of things.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

That's not a Flightscope. Flightscope and Trackman are doppler radar based systems. They measure a fair amount of things - largely the ball (launch angle, direction, spin, speed, spin axis tilt, etc.).

http://flightscope.com/products/flightscope-x2/

Sensors in the floor are not going to produce terribly accurate measurements for those types of things.

Ah, well maybe that was for a different set up? there was a white box that looked like the trackman behind me, guess i assumed the measurements were coming from the floor because thats where i was hitting from.. the printed report i got with each iron shaft i tried was 100% a flightscope report though

Ah, well maybe that was for a different set up? there was a white box that looked like the trackman behind me, guess i assumed the measurements were coming from the floor because thats where i was hitting from.. the printed report i got with each iron shaft i tried was 100% a flightscope report though

This...

• Administrator

Yes, those are FlightScope numbers.

FWIW, your spin numbers are less than half what they should be (could be because you were using crappy balls or something), and your height should be about 90 feet or so (about 30 yards), not 70.

Yea the club fitter mentioned that too.  He said the spin is usually lower than expected on that system for whatever reason.  But the height was strange to me, the whole reason I went for the fitting was because I felt I was hitting the ball too high.  I had played in Florida the week before and was hitting it really, really high, so I don't have an answer for why it was so low here.  Needless to say I saved the money and kept my own shafts, just tweaked the loft and lie.  First time I've ever been fitted, hoping it won't be hard to get used to the changes.

Do your LW to 9i roll out a lot or just land and sit?

The range is astro-turf so all shots roll out, in reality those shots for me tend to stick or roll back about 1 foot.

I played a round yesterday and i measured some shots, results below. These are the distances I'm more used to, I think the ProTracer thing at my range is totally F'd.

5i - 185

8i - 142

Sw F - 103

So annoying, why can't they get these things right, whats the point in having a system with multiple pro endorsements and have it be wildly inaccurate.

The range is astro-turf so all shots roll out, in reality those shots for me tend to stick or roll back about 1 foot. I played a round yesterday and i measured some shots, results below. These are the distances I'm more used to, I think the ProTracer thing at my range is totally F'd. 5i - 185 8i - 142 Sw F - 103 So annoying, why can't they get these things right, whats the point in having a system with multiple pro endorsements and have it be wildly inaccurate.

Most people wouldn't admit that their real world numbers are lower. :) I try to use systems like that only for comparison purposes. People who are not realistic about their distances only hurt their score by using the wrong club.

[QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/18426/average-distances-how-far-do-you-hit-each-club-and-dont-lie/1440#post_956598"] Do your LW to 9i roll out a lot or just land and sit?[/QUOTE] The range is astro-turf so all shots roll out, in reality those shots for me tend to stick or roll back about 1 foot. I played a round yesterday and i measured some shots, results below. These are the distances I'm more used to, I think the ProTracer thing at my range is totally F'd. 5i - 185 8i - 142 Sw F - 103 So annoying, why can't they get these things right, whats the point in having a system with multiple pro endorsements and have it be wildly inaccurate.

Those are good distances, and the numbers make more sense. I don't trust these machines, and I'm trying to build one that's accurate without a need for calibrations. Not so easy.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 970 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!