IGNORED

What do you think about before you swing?

ScottL
Note: This thread is 5655 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Curious as you setup to the ball, what 'steps' do you go through before you swing?

ie. keep back straight, grip, etc...

Driver: D2 - 10.5° - Fujikura Rombax 5X07
5 Wood: R9 - 19°
Irons: Taylor Made CB
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 52°, 56°, 64°
Putter: Scotty Custom Studio Design  Balls: ProV1

I take a quick look at the target, close my eyes and take a mental picture of that target as clearly as possible. Then I open my eyes quickly before my backvswing and think about absolutely nothing.

Golf is a game in which the ball always lies poorly and the player always lies well.

The Void.

Launcher 2009 10.5º, S
Rescue Dual 16º
Rescue Dual 19º
Maltby MTF 4-pw, Rifle 5.5
Maltby M-Series 52.6, 58.8 2008 AnserOut of the bag: Big Bertha Fusion 15º, YS6+ R (for sale or trade)

I find it impossible to think about nothing right before my swing. Ideally, quieting the mind would be great, but I can't do it consistently, and "quiet" can really feel like a lot of different things.

So instead, I set up, then take a look at the target. Look back down at the ball. Feel my weight on my right foot, just behind the ball on the inside half. Then I swing. But I keep thinking about my weight on that spot, otherwise some other thought comes into mind and I become inconsistent.

Driver: 909 D3 10.5 degree Aldila Voodoo S Shaft
3 Wood: MP 001
Irons: MP-67 3-PW
Wedges: 52, 56, 60
Putter: Karsten B60

Alignment and grip. Then as little as humanly possible. My dad used to say that when I thought too much, I weakened the war effort.

WITB - about 15lbs. of clubs, a few balls, tees, and a windbreaker

~In true gravity,

G E S

I try to think about nothing but I'm too analytical for that. Thats why I am not a good golfer. I don't know how to stop thinking and just play. I have a great swing but my mind is a mess and its a mind game. I generally thing about Grip Alignment and Posture-GAP. Something my golf coach tried to get me to think about, I'm not so sure it worked.

Smooth takeaway and a full finish.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

The ocean...the beach...the forest. Oh, and wherever OOB is. I get in a lot of trouble off the tee for some reason. Hmmm... --LBB

Bag: Bagboy NXO Revolver
Driver: Dymo STR8-FIT Tour 9.5
3w: Nike T405w: Nike T40Irons: Mizuno MP-33 3-PWSW: Nike SV Tour Black Satin 56/10LW: Nike SV Tour Black Satin 60/06Ball: Nike TA2/SPN

I look at my lie, look at my target line, choose my club, think to myself that the club that i have chosen is 100% correct (confidence), a practice swing or 2, place my club behind the ball, aim, backswing, follow through, watch were my ball goes, then nothing

If i'm thinking about all that i can't get distracted, i try not to think about whether or not its the right club or how the shot is going to end up

Although as shown by my handicap it doesn't work
In my black carry bag
Driver- 909 D2 10.5* 76g Stiff UST Proforce V2
3-Wood 909 F3 14.5* 82g Stiff UST Proforce V2
Hybrid- 585-H 19* 85g Stiff Flex Adilla Proto
Irons- Z-B Forged 3iron-PW Project X 6.0Gap Wedge- Vokey Spin Milled 52|8Sand Wedge- Vokey Spin Milled 56|10Putter- Scotty Cameron...

Step behind the ball, and aim (concentrate) on the target, envison the shot.. loosen up, setup, and swing .

Eventually, I'll get the hint and stop advertising, which is against the rules.

In Tiger's book How I Play Golf (2001), he talks about swing thoughts. This is an excerpt from his book, page 156, where he talks about mastering a powerful draw shot for a specific hole at Augusta National:

"Long before I arrived at Augusta for the 2001 Masters, I practiced that draw with my driver and 3-wood. For two months solid, I would devote a little extra time on the practice tee with that specific shot in my mind's eye. I don't consciously change my mechanics. I do it by feel. My last thought before I take the club back is 'Draw.' I got good at hitting the shot in practice, but would it hold up under pressure?"

Oh, if you're wondering, the answer to Tiger's question was "Yes."

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The last thing I think about is getting my right[lead I am lefthanded] under my chin which ensures me I made a full turn.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

I think to myself..Stay on the balls of your feet, don't get back on your heels and keep your back elbow stuck to your side which allows me to get the takeaway right and stay on plane.
adidas.gif AG Tour Staff Bag
taylormade.gif R9 9.5*/15*
titleist.gif ZM Forged 2-P

taylormade.gif XFT Wedges 54*/60*
taylormade.gif Corza Ghost

When I set up, I make sure that my weight is on my right inside foot and more towards the balls of my feet. Nice straight back without no shoulders hunched. And right before I swing I tell myself to swing with a slow, good rhythm and keep my left elbow straight. So many times if I don't tell myself to keep my left elbow straight throughout the swing, I always end up "chunking" the ball!

My chix stix:

R7 Burner
Burner Woods and Hybrids
R7 CGB Max IronsKoa Wood

definitely getting the club straight back.

My Sticks:

909DCOMP 9.5° Titleist Matrix Ozik XCON-6
Fairway Burner 15.5° RE*AX TP 75g
Rescue TP 19° ZB Forged w/ Project X 6.0Scratch 52° TNC Grind Wedge, Polished Chrome FinishScratch 58° TNC Grind Wedge, Polished Chrome Finish Catalina Classic Limited Edition HX Tour ix

Zooey Deschanel or Paula Creamer

Whats in the bag?
Driver = Wishon Golf 949mc 9.75*/.5* Closed Face Angle
Fairway Wood = Wishon Golf 915 F/H 16* Square Face Angle
Wood Shafts = Wishon Golf Pro Flight EXP 85g Stiff Flex
Hybrids = Wishon Golf 331H 21* & 24*Hybrid Shafts = Wishon Golf GI335 Tour Weight 92g Stiff FlexIrons = Wishon...

Note: This thread is 5655 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!