IGNORED

"In the zone"

Ben
Note: This thread is 6589 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I got to work early today in hopes of practicing a bit on the range only to find that the range was closed because of early morning rains. But, because of the rain, there was practically noone on the course. So, I hopped in a cart and ran out on the back 9.

With no warm up I stepped up to the tee of the par 5 10th thinking of just knocking something down the fairway, and consequently plunked a short drive down the middle, hit a 4 wood to 60 yards, then a lob wedge to a tap-in 1 footer for birdie. On 11, a drivable par 4, I hit just short of the green, but didn't get up and down for birdie as I was rushing to play through a group. No biggie. From then on, it felt like I could do no wrong.

Finished 9 in just under one hour at 4under! And, lipped out on the 18th from 20 feet which would have put me at -5.

Had only one shot that didn't do exactly what I wanted. Pulled my tee shot into a greenside bunker on the par 3 16th. No matter though, I holed out from there for birdie!

Another highlight included birdieing the tough par 3 14th. A 220yarder with a green that looks like it has an elephant buried under the right side. I drained a 20 footer with about 6 feet of break for birdie there. In a year and a half of working here, I've only hit this green in regulation 5 times, and only birdied it 4. So that was huge for my frame of mind.

It was unbelievable.

This is all looking very good for me. U.S. Open qualifying is in May and I want to see what I can do.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

There's absolutely nothing I can even add here, but the only time I was in the zone was the first, and so far only, time I broke 80..I shot a 76. Funny thing is I really don't remember too much about it, just that when I looked at my scorecard I had multiple up and down for par and then regular pars. My frame of mind was at peace and actually wasn't even thinking about the round and just playing. I actually remember thinking what I was going to do later on that day after I finished. It really did seem like an out of body experience..at least my "zone" experience.

BTW: Ben, what is your LOWEST round?

Yeap, that's what it felt like, or really "didn't" feel like to me. The shots were all just happening.

Lowest round, 5 under. I'm going to play the front nine after work to see what I can do with that back. I have two golf goals for this year. 1) Bogey free round 2) Shoot 7 under. Hopefully today will be the day I achieve both!

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Yeah, I can't say I know what "the zone" feels like in golf. I have been in "the zone" in basketball games before, but never in golf.

I usually end up doing something really stupid and ruining any hope of getting on fire. I'll go par-par-birdie-par-triple bogey. Yeah, zone over.

On a sidenote, that's awesome Ben! I wish you luck in qualifying for the U.S. Open. I was hoping you would make the cut for Big Break IV last year.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

sometimes not thinking about what we is going to do help us more than trying to remember what to do Oh yeah awsome 9 good luck at qualifying

Driver-Wilson Deep Red II .428 shaft (stiff)
3 Wood-Mizuno T-Zoid Blue Rage (stiff)
5 wood-Mizuno T-Zoid Blue Rage (stiff)
3 Iron Hybrid- Wilson fat shaft(17*)
4 Iron Hybrid- Wilson fat shaft(21*)5-PW-Wilson fat shaft52-56-68 Degree wedges- Wilson HarmonizedPutter- Top Flite Mallet

What is this "zone" you speak of?

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

• Administrator
What is this "zone" you speak of?

The erogenous zone on women. Don't worry, Jeff. Your wife says you know where it is, she's not lying to you. Nope. Not at all. Women never lie about stuff like that.

But more seriously, I've seen entire books written on getting "in the zone" (or chapters anyway) and they all pretty much say the same two things: simplify your thoughts and relax.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Great shooting, Harder to get in the zone while playing in a group or with a partner because of the distractions from the other players and waiting to hit your own shot.

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

Great shooting, Harder to get in the zone while playing in a group or with a partner because of the distractions from the other players and waiting to hit your own shot.

I've been thinking about my play most of yestrday and today and how to reachieve " the zone," and I think that not having distraction is one of the key factors. I remember that I thought of my current shot, and that shot only. To add, using positive reassurement of my ability to achieve my goal for that shot as well. I can't recall a single time where the phrase "I can't" or the word "no" was ever uttered to myself.

In anycase, I played the front after work and shot 1over. Total for 3under on the day. But, I was actually quite pleased with that. I went out with two members here and we all had a good time. The weather was semi-serious factor, but, I tested my newly developing mental toughness to not even let weather enter my mind, and I think I did well to block it out. It was a nightmarishly cold 50* with a chilly wind yesterday evening.

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

• Administrator
I disagree that having a group affects how well you can get in the zone. After all, in no other sport are you "alone." In fact, being in the zone to me is almost the same thing as "making yourself alone." It's just you and the ball... everything else fades away.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I agree to some degree, some groups are lousy to play with when your trying to go low. Get a hacker in your group hitting three shots to your one, after about six hole and the others are making fun and screwing around with you while waiting for the guy to catch up or find his ball the mental thought process seems to leave and the clear shots disappear. Some guys show up and think there just having fun no matter how bad they play and soon you start trying new things.

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

The erogenous zone on women.

Hahahaha. Wow. Too bad not too many people know what that means.

I don't think playing in a group has any effect whatsoever on how much "zone" you get. If you can't tune out that hack hitting multiple shots to get to your superbly placed drive, then you don't deserve to be in the zone. Its all about the mental game, baby.

Jeff Gladchun

In my bag:
Driver: TaylorMade R7 Quad, 9.5°, Aldila NV
3 Wood: Titleist 904F, 15°, YS-6+ StiffIrons: Titleist 695CB 3-PWWedges: Titleist Vokey 252.08, SM56.10 SM60.08Putter: Odyssey White Steel #5 Center-ShaftBall: TaylorMade TP Black / Titleist ProV1xHome Course: Oakland Hills...

A couple times I had that feeling Ben. First, two years ago I was playing in our league year-end tournament. Now, the course isn't nearly as long as yours, but I think that day it didn't matter. I had a 65 with 11 birdies a double and two bogeys. I also 3-putted for par on a par 5. The most birdies I ever had in one round before that was 7. I've never had a feeling of confidence like that before in my life. I was laughing half the time because of some of the shots I was hitting.

The other time was last year in the spring during a trip to Myrtle. I didn' thave the extreme low rounds, but we were playing some tough courses (Caledonia, True Blue, TPC) from the tips. I didn't even think while I was out there. I just looked at the pin and swung. I had rounds of 70-71 at Caledonia and a 72 at the TPC. It wasn't nearly as exciting as the 11 birdie round, but it was fun to play some tough courses and shoot some good numbers. If I had putted just a bit better, it would have been unreal.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Note: This thread is 6589 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!