IGNORED

Do indoor golf mats damage clubs

jamesgoodchild
Note: This thread is 5514 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As winter is here in Canada (we are supposed to be getting snow in a couple of hours), outdoor golf is over for the season. A friend convinced me to join a men's indoor golf league. I mentioned this to the pro at the local shop and he warned me NOT to use graphite clubs on mats for extended periods of time. Apparently, they do quite a bit of club repair because of this.

Anybody else have any experience with this? I'd prefer to use my new set over the winter and try to get a feel for them (I got them just as the season ended) versus my old set, but I don't want to damage them.

Thanks

Today's bag holds...

CGB Max 9.5 driver
CGB Max 3/5 woods
CGB Max irons Rossa Spider putter...and way more golf balls than anyone should rightfully carry!

I can't say for sure whether a mat would damage your clubs, though the pros at my club say it could (and on those days when the club range has mats, they even suggest warming up with older clubs).

However, while I can surely understand the desire to use those shiny new sticks (and it must be tough to put them away until spring), why even take a chance with good clubs for something as unimportant as indoor golf? What you want to maintain is a good swing groove. Older clubs will work just as well.

I got my new irons a few weeks back and have been hitting them at the local range that uses mats and not grass.

i right away noticed that there are scratches in the bottom of the clubs from the mats. Not a big deal because they aren't exactly high priced irons, but it's kind of annoying to see.

In my bag:
Driver: HiBore XLS (9.5*, stiff, gold shaft)
Irons: FP II 4-GW
Wedges: mp R series 56/13 588DSG 60*
Putter: Unitized TiempoBag: ADIDAS Velocity

yes, using mats will scratch up the surface of the irons to some extent. no doubt we like to keep our clubs shiny, new and scratch free but as long as they dont hurt the performance of our game it should be fine. hahaha i remember coming home and wiping my clubs religiously... and theni got lazy and accepted the fact that it is inevitable for your clubs to get scratches here and there.

Also.. new indoor mats come with special (shall i say softer/ more shock absorbent) pad where you place the tee to protect the clubs from getting damaged

life is too short to play bad golf....

In the bag: but cant say its mine....
S-Yard: u101 4-pwKAsco: k2k espec H55/99Fourteen: MTV3 60' Burner TP 9.5' Burner 5w tour action reg.588 56' Vokey BV spin milled 52' Newport Pro Platinum b330 tour

The mats may knock the clubhead out of line a little.Did you have them fitted? (If not why not) Have them checked for Loft & Lie before the new season.Its a good idea to do this at regular intervals anyway

In The Bag
Mizuno MX 560 Driver
Taylor made 3 wood
Mizuno HIFLI 21*
Mizuno MX 25's 4-pwMizuno MX series wedges 50, 56*/11 & 60*Bettinardi C02 putter4 bottles of pilsner,2 packs cigars

yes, if you play a soft blade like I do, mats will definitly throw off lie, loft, etc over time. I think even pro's who mainly practice off grass, get their specs checked out once or twice a month.

I would practice on grass, but the only grass range near me I know if closes at 4pm !

And I think they switch to mats this time of year. Damn you foul Canadian weather.

In my bag:
Driver: HiBore XLS (9.5*, stiff, gold shaft)
Irons: FP II 4-GW
Wedges: mp R series 56/13 588DSG 60*
Putter: Unitized TiempoBag: ADIDAS Velocity

So it's not good to play at a simulator over the winter? I'm sure there mats are really nice if that matters, everyone on my team except me did, and they never had any club problems.

• 5 months later...

first off, i dont really know where to put this thread, so i figured id go for the general topic. if this isnt the right place, sorry.

ok, here we go. i like to practice at home so i dont waste money at the range. i have a 1' x 2' practice mat that i use. however, its too light to withstand the blow of a swing. so i put it on a sheet of plywood to sturdy it up. now, when i make the proper swing and hit down on the ball the mat doesnt fly 10 feet forward, but i scrape the sole of the club on the plywood, thus scratching it up. i know there are mats out there that offer more protection and allow you to hit down on the ball, but they cost $60 and i dont want to pay for it.

so, any clever ideas how to solve my problamo?

any and all help is greatly appreciated

In My Ozone Stand Bag:
Driver: Burner 10.5* Stiff
3 Wood: Burner 15* Stiff
Hybrid: Burner 19* Stiff
Irons: Tour Burner 4-GWWedges: CG14 54.12, 58.12Putter: SabertoothBall: TP Back Rangefinder: GX-IHome Course: http://www.strawberryridgegolfcourse.com/

Can you take the mat outside and place it on top of dirt or grass? I have a similiar 1' X 2' mat and take it outside if I want to practice full swings. Typically I put a thin towel underneath the mat to help keep it clean.

2011 Goals:
* Improve club-head speed to 90 mph with the driver
* Ensure increased speed does not compromise accuracy
* Prevent overextending on the back-swing (left-arm is bending too much at the top)
* Relax arms initially at address ( too tense)* Play more full rounds (failed from 2010)

Can you take the mat outside and place it on top of dirt or grass? I have a similiar 1' X 2' mat and take it outside if I want to practice full swings. Typically I put a thin towel underneath the mat to help keep it clean.

thats what i was doing but every time i swing the mat flys forward 10 feet and it's a pain to go get the mat after every shot.

In My Ozone Stand Bag:
Driver: Burner 10.5* Stiff
3 Wood: Burner 15* Stiff
Hybrid: Burner 19* Stiff
Irons: Tour Burner 4-GWWedges: CG14 54.12, 58.12Putter: SabertoothBall: TP Back Rangefinder: GX-IHome Course: http://www.strawberryridgegolfcourse.com/

thats what i was doing but every time i swing the mat flys forward 10 feet and it's a pain to go get the mat after every shot.

Perhaps you are hitting the shots fat? If you are hitting the mat that far then perhaps your swings are too steep. The divot should be slightly in front of the ball position, but should not be digging up a lot of ground, unless you have an approach shot and are trying to put more spin on the ball with a wedge. Perhaps you could place three or four tees in front of the mat, evenly spaced, to help hold the mat into place.

2011 Goals:
* Improve club-head speed to 90 mph with the driver
* Ensure increased speed does not compromise accuracy
* Prevent overextending on the back-swing (left-arm is bending too much at the top)
* Relax arms initially at address ( too tense)* Play more full rounds (failed from 2010)

you can place some old carpet pieces on top of the plywood and you will hit the carpet instead of the hard wood surface. You might find other materials that you can place between the plywood and your irons that will also help absorb the impact so you don't hurt your wrists similar to driving range mats.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

you can place some old carpet pieces on top of the plywood and you will hit the carpet instead of the hard wood surface. You might find other materials that you can place between the plywood and your irons that will also help absorb the impact so you don't hurt your wrists similar to driving range mats.

I was worried about his wrists, too.

Wrist injuries and golf are bad juju....take forever to mend and ache like the dickens. Be careful.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Think about this.... you'll use these clubs hitting hundreds or thousands of shots each over their lifetime, swinging a piece of steel at 90MPH+ into dirt which has all sorts of abrasive particles in it such as sand, tiny stones, etc. and you're worried up scuffing up the soles a bit on a piece of plywood? They're GOLF CLUBs, not precious crystal figurines! Hit away, and think of the scuffs as badges of honor from someone who practices!

...They're GOLF CLUBs, not precious crystal figurines!

Golf clubs are far more precious than any 'crystal figurines'.

Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

Note: This thread is 5514 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!