IGNORED

Best Ball for High Handicapper?

Note: This thread is 5614 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

i used the slazenger's but haven't for a while. i had a difficult time getting them to go straight... but when i did they were great.

right now I just play with whatever.. i bought 2 bags of used golf balls... totally 200 some balls for $15. I lost 5-10 a round when i first started playing a couple months ago. Now I don't lose too many too often. Only about 0-3 a round.

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5° Stock Stiff
Wood: Tour Burner TS 13° Stock Stiff
Hybrid: Tour Burner T2 18° Stock Stiff
Irons: Tour Preferred 3-PW Rifle Project X 6.0
Wedges: 54.10|58.08 Z TP Rifle Spinner 5.5 Putter: VP Mills VP2 Ball: TP/Red.LDP Bag: Warbird Hot Stand Bag 2.0Started playing...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing bugs me more than when a high handicapper uses a high priced ball like a pro v1...in this month's golf magazine Stuart Appleby has a great quote---"Amateurs tend to overestimate clubhead speed with the driver. So they may overpurchase a ball that's a bit better than their capabilities and won't suit their real needs."

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

In this month's golf magazine Stuart Appleby has a great quote---"Amateurs tend to overestimate clubhead speed with the driver. So they may overpurchase a ball that's a bit better than their capabilities and won't suit their real needs."

I just read that I love that quote.

In terms of ball selection I would reccomend the noodles. I would also do a little research and narrow it down to two or three balls then I would get a sleeve of each.

In My Hank Haney IJGA Bag
Driver: FT Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila Voodoo Stiff
3 Wood: i15 15.5 w/ avixcore red stiff
Hybrids: Rescue 09 19, 22 w/ fujikara fit on stiff
Irons: 4 & 5 MP-52, 6-PW MP-58 w/ KBS Tour Stiff Wedges: MP T-10 52*, 58* w/ KBS Tour StiifPutter: Fastback 1 34 inBall: : Pro...

personally due to budget... im using 'gently used' balls... or overstock logo balls that are brand new but they practically give them away... but one of the earlier posters suggestions on going to yer local courses 'lost' balls to test out several brands is a pretty good idea... another good thing to try is if you have a golf galaxy around they can actually do a ball fitting for you in one of the hitting bays... you can test out balls and according to your swing vs your budget you can narrow down choices
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

Nothing bugs me more than when a high handicapper uses a high priced ball like a pro v1...in this month's golf magazine Stuart Appleby has a great quote---"Amateurs tend to overestimate clubhead speed with the driver. So they may overpurchase a ball that's a bit better than their capabilities and won't suit their real needs."

rest assured that if you see me using one it's just because it was the only thing left in my bag after losing all my crap balls :)

Wedges: 54.10|58.08 Z TP Rifle Spinner 5.5 Putter: VP Mills VP2 Ball: TP/Red.LDP Bag: Warbird Hot Stand Bag 2.0Started playing...

At first glance, it would seem that ball isn't important with a high handicapper. Yet, as my game was first developing, I did indeed find there to be a difference.

I couldn't club my self with the old wound balls, regardless of whether they were surlyn or balata covered, the only actual choice back then. Distances were just not consistent for me.

Meanwhile, the old, very high compression (hard!), 336 dimple original Top Flite was as consistent as could be. When the slightly different Top Flite XL came out, it didn't give me the same confidence. It had to be an original Top Flite.

As my game improved, I stayed with that ball until it finally went out of production.

What I would do if I were a beginner today was wait until I put a few good shots together, check out what ball I was using, and stick to it for confidence. Even if there is no real scientific advantage to this during the developmental stages of ball striking, it will leave one less variable in your head for future concern. In golf, that's qlways a good thing, no?

As a high-handicapper, I decided the best thing was just not to let the ball risk being a variable, at least in the short term. I went to Golfsmith and bought a couple dozen logo overruns of the same make/model basically just choosing the cheapest option (Pinnacle Gold Long, $8 or $9 a dozen I think). It may not be the ideal ball, but it's the same ball every time I play. I figure that at my level any major market ball will be adequate, if not ideal, and it's more important at this point to hit the same shot every time. When I burn through these balls, I may try a different one, but day to day and round to round, I know that the difference in performance is me, not the ball.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

I think ONE ball is not enough. For me with my high handicap, somedays I have my slice under control, some days not. On the days I am not slicing, I will use a ball with more spin so I can be more accurate approching, on, and around the greens. On days when I am slicing off the tee and cannot get it under control, I will use some rock-hard stright flying ball that doesn't putt well or stick on the greens. Once I become consistent, I can settle in with one ball. Now, I play the Gamer (when things are clicking), but switch to a Top Flite XL Distance.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

Another vote for any of these balls (in order of perceived softness):

Noodle+
Bridgestone e6+
Callaway HX Hot Plus - These are the new version of the HX Hot. They are long (maybe longer than the HX Hot) and have better feel around the green.

If I were you, I would pick up a sleeve of maybe 3-4 different ones and see what you like. Then go buy your dozen(s). I think Rock Bottom Golf still has a good price on a 3 dozen pack of the e6+ if you decide to go that route.

I've played all these balls and they all work great. The Noodle+ is by far the softest of the 3. As a matter of fact, I think it's too soft for me to putt with (I use an insert putter). The HX Hot is the longest ball I have ever hit and it flies straight. I won't back one of these balls up on the green, but I can get them to hit and stick.

I tried the premium balls shortly after I started and just got discouraged at how much they made my swing flaws worse (slice was worse) and how sick I was at losing $4 on every errant shot. Don't fall for this theory of the premium, high-spin balls will help you sort out your swing flaws. Only practice and coaching can really help there.

I play a premium ball in the summer now (Callaway Tour ix) but it really suits my swing. I can hit it long and keep it pretty straight.

ive played the callaway warbird, noodle long and soft, noodle+, taylor made burner, top flite freak, nike powersoft,titleist so/lo, and bridgestone treosoft balls in the last 3 months.

im a high handicapper and i slice occasionally (bout twice per 18 holes)... but thats a swing flaw.. not the ball itself..

personally.. ive had tremendous success with the bridgestone treosofts... now i know it isnt a popular ball.. but it suits me very well...

ive literally bombed most of my drives off the teebox and they have performed near perfect with my wedges...

i actually found a prov1 in the woods 2 weeks ago and dropped it beside my treosoft at 60 yards from the green and hit pitched both of them...the bridgestone bit the green better (for me anyways....)

RBZ stage 2 driver & 3 wood

Original AP1 4-GW

Vokey 54.10 & 58.04

Scotty Newport 2

[QUOTE=klaymon;235166] I won't back one of these balls up on the green, but I can get them to hit and stick. QUOTE]

Here, I can help you, Klaymon. The secret to backing the ball up on the green is to hit non-conforming wedges! My Miracles are exceeded only by the reverse groove inserts on a Spin Doctor. The Doctors unfortunately spin the ball back off the green, however.

I have to go to my Cleveland backups for the odd member-guest or whatever, but although the latter are supposedly higher quality clubs, which I'm sure they are, for me, they don't seem to play golf as well.

The thing is, I'm not interested in backing a ball up. I'd rather be able to hit a given distance and have it stop there. Backing up seems a bit unpredictable.

The thing is, I'm not interested in backing a ball up. I'd rather be able to hit a given distance and have it stop there. Backing up seems a bit unpredictable.

You are absolutely right, of course. Dancing balls look impressive, though. I'm just being super mature (read senile) about it! Worse than a teenager.

so is the general consensus here consistency? I'm very good at hitting fringe shots within a few yards of the green in practice... but I'm not nearly as accurate when playing a round. that leaves two options... i just got used to the practice green (but they do move hole locations a lot)... or the ball. I have a collection of reclaimed errant pro v1s found after searching for my own balls hit to the outside of the woods... and usually use those to chip since I know i wont lose them.

I am a high handicapper, and the Callaway HX Hot works great for me

In the Callaway Staff Bag:
Driver: Callaway FT-3 10o Draw
Hybrids: Callaway FT- 3 and 4
Irons: Callaway Big Bertha Graphite 4-PW
Wedges: Callaway X Tour: 60o and 64o
Putter: Odyssey Black Series i #9

For me the best ball for hcp in the 20s is the Callaway HX HOT PLUS
Long and good feeling around the greens
@+

---------------------------------------------------
In my bag:

TM R9 Supertri 9.5 UST MAMYIA Axiv core green R | Titleist 904F 15° YS-10 Stiff | Sonartec MD hybrid irod shaft stiff | Titleist 804.OS NS PRO 970 R-Flex(3-PW) | Cleveland 588RTG 53º SW| Cleveland 588RTG 60º LW| Yes!Golf Tiffany Putter

I've recently started playing the Precept U-Tri tour ball. A good 3-piece ball for $23 a dozen at wal-mart.

In The Bag
SQ 5000 10.5

SQ Sumo 3 wood
MP-32 3-PWGolden Bear Gap Wedge SV Sand Wedge MP T Lob WedgeYes Golf Callie Putter

Note: This thread is 5614 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!