IGNORED

Updating Clubs and do you wear Shoes?

Kevin04
Note: This thread is 5648 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi Folks,

I was quite curious to find out other people's opinions on Shoes, Does anyone not wear Golf Shoes? I am quite new to the game, started playing in August 2007, I'd swung a club before and played pitch-putt and putting so I wasn't a complete beginner.

As I'm becoming more and more obsessed with this wonderful game, I am considering Shoes. Is there a real benefit? I have a pair of rubber gripped slacks which I usually wear and they do ok for me but would be interested to hear what you guys wear and if anyone does not wear shoes?

Also a issue involving clubs, I'm using my friend's old clubs that he gave to me and I bought a Wilson Hybrid and a cheap Dunlop Driver, They seem to be working quite decent for me in the summer on the links courses and the grips are fine, but can clubs get too old? They are around 8-9 years old and fairly well used, have always thought about buying a set of decent clubs in 09 or is it more 'if it's not broke, don't try to fix it?'

Sorry if this seems like a silly question, I'm a bit of novice when it comes to technical things in Golf

mucho cheers in advance,

I'm 50/50. I'll wear regular training shoes when I practice, whether on the range or the course. For a serious [tournament] round I'll wear golf shoes. But, I do live in Southern California, it doesn't get terribly wet here. In wet weather conditions I would definitely go with golf shoes. Adidas are great, for both situations. I wear Adidas for both and have no complaints. I've heard Ecco makes a really comfortable golf shoe. As well there are the FootJoy Classics. From what I hear, those are the most comfortable golf shoe there is. But, I stick to Adidas, so I have no first-hand experience with either.

As far as the club question. Last year I was using a set of Hogan Aplex blades from 1972. I only stopped because the shafts aren't right for me, and I have no desire to alter this set in its original state. I think that's what it really comes down to, the shaft. As long as you are using a shaft that fits your game, that's what you should be most concerned about.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

If you're planning on playing in conditions where it may be wet underfoot be that a rainy patch or a dewy morning you'll definitely want to get some golf shoes. They'll stop you slipping around and keep your feet dry. I remember a round one day with a few non-golfer friends who ended up with soaking wet feet at the end of the day because they were all wearing sneakers, while my golf shoe clad feet remained perfectly dry.

I always wear golf shoes. I tend to slip some if I were regular shoes out to the course or range. I have a pair of Nike, Adidas and Ecco and the Ecco are by far the most comfortable of the 3 that I have. Granted my Nike and Adidas shoes aren't there top of the line models, but I paid about the same for all of them.

In The Bag:

Driver: 909D3 9.5* Aldila VooDoo Stiff
3 Wood: 909F2 15.5* Aldila VooDoo StiffHybrid: 3DX 17* Aldila NV StiffIrons: MP-67 3-pwWedges: MP-T 56* & 60*Putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5 33"Ball: Gran-Z (in the bargain bin @ Golfsmith)

Here in Michigan the ground has a tendency to hold a lot of water even if its been dry for a few days. So I always wear golf shoes myself. I've played for three years and have only worn shoes for two years, and almost immediately noticed a difference. It could have been the placebo effect, but hell I'll take it.
Weapons Of Choice
R5 Dual 9.5* Driver
R7 Draw Hybrid 3
Tight Lies #4 16* Fairway Wood
HCT Tour Irons 5-SW CG-11 52 CG-11 56 CG-11 60 BC-101 Putter

I just got my first pair of golf shoes... inexpensive Nike somethin-or-other. Not water proof, but that's not a big issue in southern California. Anyway, I am happy to have picked them up. It's nice being able to set your feet in the stance you want and know that they're not going to slide. With tennis shoes, I always had to re-check after setting up because my feet would slip a bit out of stance without my noticing. The spikes hold my feet exactly where I put them.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Here in Michigan the ground has a tendency to hold a lot of water even if its been dry for a few days. So I always wear golf shoes myself. I've played for three years and have only worn shoes for two years, and almost immediately noticed a difference. It could have been the placebo effect, but hell I'll take it.

Same with Ohio with the ground holding water.

I completely agree with getting shoes..I found a pair of nikes that were $39.99 at a Nike factory outlet near my house, and they are extremely comfortable, and worth the price too! I was also pretty skeptical, but they really do help you keep planted in the grass, and honestly it made me feel a bit better about my game! On top of all that, I don't have to worrry about keeping my normal running/tennis shoes clean and dry on the course.

Golf shoes? Get some; definitely. Not sure about the U.S. but this side of the Pond most courses won't allow anything else on the course. Apart from that, you'll get better grip when swinging etc.

Makes of shoe? Footjoy - every time, all the time.

As for age of clubs, I'm with ben. Age, particularly of irons, doesn't matter that much although you'll only really find Ping cavity backs the further back you go. The technology of woods has moved on a lot since the 70s/80s. That said though, something ~5-10 years old will be fine. No need for huge, square heads etc.

Take home message is probably if you're using something and playing well, probably best to continue as is rather than change a winning setup.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I believe that golf shoes are a must have. I take a fairly aggressive swing and if I'm not wearing spikes my right foot will tend to slip out of my stance.

As for the clubs, the age is not as important as the quality, specs. and tpye of clubs.

In the : Nike SQ Tour Bag

Driver: Speed Pro S Stiff 9.5*
3 Wood: Speed Pro X/ST Stiff 15*
Hybrid: Walter Hagen 21* Aldila NV Hybrid 85-S Shaft Irons: RAC LT2 4-Sand StiffWedge: Z TP 60* Putter: Rossa Lambeau Ball: TP Red Grips: Golf Pride Dual Durometer

I alternate between some Nike golf shoes and FootJoy golf sandals with spikes. But I have found that most of the time a good pair of walking shoes with a lug sole do just as well. Many of them come with a Gore-Tex liner and will keep your feet just as dry as any golf shoe, as most golf shoes have the same type of goretex liner.

I've always worn golf shoes. . .at least since I was old enough to afford and buy them for myself. I hardly ever wear them to the range, and that's probably a mistake. You'll certainly notice a difference between reg. athletic shoes and soft spiked golf shoes. Christmas is coming up, ask Mrs. Claus for a nice pair

If you're using a hand me down set of clubs, there's no reason you couldn't spend around $300 and get you a nice upgrade set of used somethingorothers.
If that's what you're looking for.

i HATE golf shoes i use my crappy crosstrainers haha but belive me i swing around 105-110 mph i dnt have a problem with traction (except rainy days haha) but i dont think they are a "must have" the real "must haves" in golf are drive,desire,a simple swing theory and a open mind

Chris Nunes,17 yrs old

In My Bag:
Woods:Nike Sasquatch Tour Model (Driver), Nike Sumo 3 wood
Irons: Callaway X-Forged (Project X 6.0)Wedge: Callaway C Grind 58 degree,Titleist Volkey 54 degree (oil can)Putter Cleveland Classic 2 or Scotty Cameron Santa Fe teryllium "Everyday you miss practicing it...

clubs are clubs man, if the clubs work for you then it doesnt matter how old they are. there is, however, always room for improving your set of clubs to achieve maximum potential out of your game. shoes are a must. i guarantee you will shave some strokes when you buy a pair of shoes, they make a huge difference.

In my Diablo Edge Tour/ Titliest Stand Bag:
Driver: Nike VR Pro 8.5* w/ Myazaki 43g X
3 Wood: Nike VR Pro II 13.5* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 83g X
5 Wood: Cobra S9-1 Pro 18* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 83g X

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21* w/ Prolaunch Red X
Irons: 4-7 Titleist 712 CB, 8-9 712 MB w/ TT Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: 46* Vokey SM4, 54* Vokey SM4, 60* TMade ATV

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Belly 43"

do yourself a favor and get a pair of shoes. Would you play soccer in running shoes on a rainy day? Would you go skating with running shoes on? Golf shoes are designed with a specific purpose in mind: support and traction. Why not get every advantage possible on this game?

I wear shoes all the time because you have to at my course and they are strict with the rule and plus they keep your feet dry which can really put your swing out of shape

In my ozone bag:

905r 10.5 Graphite Design YS-6+ R
909 F2 15.5 Aldila VooDoo Fairway S
Benross VeloCT Resuce 21 Grafalloy ProLaunch Platinum R MX300s 4-PW KBS Tour S MP-T10 50/8 Chrome 54/11 and 60/7 Studio Select Newport II 35"

Note: This thread is 5648 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!