IGNORED

handicapp of golfers on gateway/hooters tour?

thumper07
Note: This thread is 5628 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Please excuse my ignorance but, what does a (+5) handicap mean? that they are literally 5 under?

In the U.K. at least, we don't say -hcp, it's just hcp. So, if I'm 4, it means that typically on a SSS (standard scratch score) course of 72, I'd be round in 76. If I were +4 (if only!), it means I have to ADD 4 to my rounds (on average) hence to maintain the +4 on the same course I'd need to average a 68 i.e 4 under par. Does that help?

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Please excuse my ignorance but, what does a (+5) handicap mean? that they are literally 5 under?

Your handicap is the number of stroke you need to reach par.

So if you shoot an 85 on a par 71 you need to subtract 14 to get to par so your handicap is (-14) If you shoot 66 on par 71 you need to add 5 strokes to reach par so your handicap is (+5) The formula also has a bonus for exelence and a factor for course difficulty so it is not quite as simple as I have stated above. -E

In my Grom bag:

Driver........... Burner 9.5* S-Flex
3-Wood......... Burner 15* S-Flex
5-Wood......... Ovation 18* S-FlexIrons............. Pro Combos 3,5-PW Rifle 6.0Wedges......... CG12 52.10, 56.14, 60.10Putter............ 33" VP1 Milled PutterBall................ e6+ or B330-SRangefinder.....

In the U.K. at least, we don't say -hcp, it's just hcp. So, if I'm 4, it means that typically on a SSS (standard scratch score) course of 72, I'd be round in 76. If I were +4 (if only!), it means I have to ADD 4 to my rounds (on average) hence to maintain the +4 on the same course I'd need to average a 68 i.e 4 under par. Does that help?

Hi Misty,

I'm Scottish and that's the way I understand things, It was the plus and minus thing that was confusing me. I was confused by people mentioning +5 as at first, I thought it was them being five over but I understand exactly. Thank you to Eereyck as well for your explination.

I ran into a guy on my home course recently who is playing on the Adams mini-tour. We got to talking about the Golf Academy of America (which he's a graduate of) and he was telling me how much his game improved while he was there. To quote him, "when I graduated I was a scratch golfer." So, I don't know if he was actually 0.0 or in the neighborhood. But, the 9 holes I played with him, I wasn't blown away...ballstriking was superb, but his short game wasn't that much better than mine (maybe it's just b/c I'm used to our super slow greens that usually run about 0.1 on the stimp ).

What I play:

Driver: XLS Hibore 9.5* Fit-On Red (S)
Woods: Tour XPC 16* Graffaloy ProLite (S)
Hybrid: Exotics 3HIrons: Reid Lockhart 3-SWWedge: rac 60*Putter: a crappy $20 Academy putter (but it works!)

Join a club and you can establish a

handicap index which, weighed against the course slope and rating, produces a handicap. I am a -6.7 index and on some courses my handicap might be -7 and on another, easier course, it might be -6. If your scores are kept accurately and you play a variety of courses you are expected to shoot to your handicap (or better) about 25% of the time. I am a 7 handicap on a course I play regularly, so about 25% of the time I should shoot 79 or better. A 79 in a tournament would give me a net score of 72 (E). A pro who plays very hard courses and carries a +7 index might be a +10 handicap on the same course. He would probably shoot 62 25% of the time. So if I had a good day and shot 79 and he had a good day and shot 62, we would tie on the net score. Duffy Waldorf has the course record at the course I am thinking of and he shot a 63. SubPar

The "Break 100" at the US Open gives some raw numbers:

e.g. Lauer scraped by with a 100 on the par-71 course despite playing with a 6.2 handicap index. He came back from an early quad and a series of double bogeys to make a par 5 on the final hole.

Compare that to golfers which qualified to the US Open e.g. Philippe Gasnier plays on mini tours and shot +19 (86 - 75) after two days. Woods of course was under par after 4 rounds.

Note: This thread is 5628 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!