IGNORED

handicapp of golfers on gateway/hooters tour?

thumper07
Note: This thread is 5627 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

like the title says, just out of curiousity was wondering what kind of handicapps these guys are, i'm thinking they have to be atleast +3 or better.

-matt

Driver: 09 Burner 10.5 Aldila NV 65 X Stiff
3wd: G10 14* Aldila NV 85 X Stiff
Hybrid: G10 18* Aldila NV 105 X Stiff
3-PW: I10 X100
Wedge: Tour 52* & 58* S400Putter: Circa 62 No.2 35" Ball: Tour IXLowest 9 (-E) 36Lowest 18 (+2) 73

I would imagine the difference between a national wide tours handicap and a pga player isn't much. It's probably more between the ears and playing consistently over the four days. I am sure when the national wide tour players are at home they are shooting as low as the pga tour players are when they are at home. Still an interesting question though. Are the courses setup up relatively the same (B/t N.W. & PGA during tournament play that is)?

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

If I'm not mistaken, professional golfers of (of any level) do not officially have a handicap. I'm sure the skill levels of these players are, as Quinn07 says, not much different than those on the higher levels. I have read stories about golfers turning professional with handicaps in the 2-3 range, though. When entering Q-School I think players have to have a handicap of 2 or less. It's close to that for entering qualifying for US Open as well.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

Years ago when they were called the mini-tours I had a college golf teamate who played. I was a about a 6 handicap at the time and only needed less than two strokes a side to compete with him.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

The courses they play are rated and their handicap index can be calculated. As the OP said +3 or +4 is about right for the mini-tour players.

Most of the guys on the big show are +5 or better.

SubPar

i'd read somewhere - i forget where now - that you had to have a proven handicap of +2 or better to get into Q-school. as such, i would assume that it'd be about the same on the tours.

in europe its sratch to enter euro tour qualifying, so it would make sense given the different handicap systems that the worst you could be in the usa would be plus 2 and more likely plus 3 or better.

I know four people who play on mini-tours in Florida, Virginia, etc. Two are about +3, one is a -2, and the last is a -6 or 7. I don't think that any of them win but the two +3s make some cuts.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

Very intersting thread. I wonder what Tiger's handicap would be?

In my SX76 StaDry
Woods: G15 9.0° BB Stiff, G10 14°
Hybrids: i15 20°, Rapture 24°
Irons: AP2 5-PW
Wedges: SM Vokey 51°, 56°, 60° Putter: Circa '62 No. 2 (Gun Metal Blue) Ball: ProV1

pga tour stats says in 2007 tiger's average score was 67.79, so i guess -4 roughly (for 2007 at least)?

No way,-4 is the same as a 4 handicap. Basically you ask how many stokes you add or subtract to get to par. I read in a golf magazine that Tiger is more in the range of a +7 which means he gives the course strokes so his handicap is added to his score and not subtracted. On a par 70 course a -4 or 4 handicap plays to a par of 74 while a +7 plays to a par of 63. I was confused about that til I made a bet and lost!

• Administrator
pga tour stats says in 2007 tiger's average score was 67.79, so i guess -4 roughly (for 2007 at least)?

No.

Calculating the Handicap Indeces of the Pros

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

very interesting link on calculating handicap

lowest handicap i ever heard of was a for tom kite - he kept getting beaten of a plus 7 or so at his local club and he said he wanted to have a handicap allocated like everyone else, they used his next two rounds 61 and 62 and gave him plus 11! LOL

Did you know tiger woods has scored a 57 at his home course a full length par 72, playing mark o meara who shot 66 - ha ha, score 66 and get blown out the water.

k

That is the definition of "ridiculous".

Hes Tiger what do you expect LOL

In My Hank Haney IJGA Bag
Driver: FT Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila Voodoo Stiff
3 Wood: i15 15.5 w/ avixcore red stiff
Hybrids: Rescue 09 19, 22 w/ fujikara fit on stiff
Irons: 4 & 5 MP-52, 6-PW MP-58 w/ KBS Tour Stiff Wedges: MP T-10 52*, 58* w/ KBS Tour StiifPutter: Fastback 1 34 inBall: : Pro...

A local course where I live hosted a Hooters tour event this past Summer/Fall (Bartram Trail GC). The winner shot something like 21 or 22 under par for the 4 day tournmant. The course was set up specifically for the event with the rough being kept much longer and the greens running as fast as possible (I have no idea what they were running at). The course is a tough one (to me at least) and the normal back tees are rated 71.9/138 at 6706 yds. I was pretty impressed by the score the mini-tour pros carded. Those guys are pretty good too.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

Please excuse my ignorance but, what does a (+5) handicap mean? that they are literally 5 under?
If I shoot a 85 on a 71, I would be +14 for the day. Does the + and - change after you get beyond scratch level?

I'm a bit confused, I only started playing in 07 so go easy but I thought once someone had a handicap of say Scratch/0 and improved by 2 over the next few months their handicap would be (-2) or would it be (+2) ?

Thanks in advance,

Note: This thread is 5627 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!