IGNORED

Finally Fixed my slice for good

mrserv0n18
Note: This thread is 5607 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well I started golf earlier this year and loved it from day one, I had a bad slice and a 25 handicap at the end of the season. Well I have been working at it night and day and finally found how to correct it.

Basically I would hit with an open face everytime and all I was missing was rotating of the wrists right before impact. Now I can hit straight and even DRAW the ball and if I want a slice its simple I just dont rotate my wrists before impact.

So for anyone struggling with a slice I recommend viewing some videos and rotating the driver through impact and hopefully it will help others. I think this is one thing that is overlooked when watching alot of training videos.

Now with my new swing I do have a much lower trajectory but its hard to tell in a golf dome what distance I might be getting.

DRIVER: R7 460 Draw - 10.5* R Flex 55g
WOODS Taylormade R11 15* , Big Bertha 4w
HYBRID Taylormade Burner Rescue 19*, Taylormade R11 5 Hybrid
IRONS Mizuno Mx-200 4-GW WEDGES CG14 56* PUTTER Sabertooth 34"

Preach on. I just had my first golf lesson from a certified PGA pro, and the whole session was focusing on rotating my wrists through impact. After I hit my first draw of my life, I had to go back to my car to change my underwear.

I had a slice to, but when I focus on rotating my hands through impact, I have a straight, sometimes draw, ball flight.

R7 Limited Patriot 9.5º
Sasquatch 15º
Idea Pro Gold Hybrid 20º
Tour Preferred Irons 4-PW
Z Smoke TP 52º SV Tour Black Satin 56º Rossa Core Classics Fontana One Tour

This sounds interesting. Can you explain what you mean by rotating wrists through the swing?

they mean when you come through on your down swing, to turn your wrists over. the common problem with a slice is that a golfer leaves their clubface open at impact, which is caused by not turning your wrists over through the swing. to make it simpler(and a good slice curer) wear a watch on your bottom hand, with the face of the watch on the underside of your wrist. if you can see the face of the watch through impact then you wont slice it and you are turning your wrists over.

In my Diablo Edge Tour/ Titliest Stand Bag:
Driver: Nike VR Pro 8.5* w/ Myazaki 43g X
3 Wood: Nike VR Pro II 13.5* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 83g X
5 Wood: Cobra S9-1 Pro 18* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 83g X

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21* w/ Prolaunch Red X
Irons: 4-7 Titleist 712 CB, 8-9 712 MB w/ TT Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: 46* Vokey SM4, 54* Vokey SM4, 60* TMade ATV

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Belly 43"

The watch tip is a good one too. Heres a little guide that gave me the idea to put more emphasis on the turning of the wrists. And when your practicing it at first dont be scared to really turn that club over and exaggerate it at first to get the muscle memory down. It may feel like your ball will fly off to la la land but believe me its going to take off like a rocket after a small bucket

http://www.ritson-sole.com/golf-tips...hrough-impact/

This sounds interesting. Can you explain what you mean by rotating wrists through the swing?

Hi,

let's be clear about rotation "wrist" in 2 plane swing&release; : it's forearms rotation ( not just wrists !!!) . Result is wrist rotation. regards,

Hi,

Good point. Its the left forearm rotation more so than the wrists. I guess I should have worded it better. That lesson I linked says it better

Be careful with too much hand or wrist action. This rotation is very subtle. Get too carried away with it and you will be a hook machine.

WITB:
Driver-B'stone J33R 9.5* Pro Force V2 65S 44.5"
3w/5w-B'stone J33R 15-18* NV75 Stiff
3h Ping G10 21* TFC Stiff
irons-Mizuno Pro II w/4-9, MP-T 47 PW, currently have DG S300. X100 Soft Stepped 1x or PX 6.0 are on stand by.GW Mizuno MP-T 53-9* DG R300LW Titleist Vokey SM 58-12* DG Wedge flexT...

Be careful with too much hand or wrist action. This rotation is very subtle. Get too carried away with it and you will be a hook machine.

Good point. I was working on correcting my slice by ensuring my forearms turned after the moment of impact, which helped a little bit, but now I have a tendency to draw the ball with my shorter irons.

My biggest problem with slicing has been keeping my grip too firm on the club, which resulting in my wrists being stiff to flip over on the downswing. I removed my glove and changed my grip and now my wrists and forearms are a little more loose on the downswing.

2011 Goals:
* Improve club-head speed to 90 mph with the driver
* Ensure increased speed does not compromise accuracy
* Prevent overextending on the back-swing (left-arm is bending too much at the top)
* Relax arms initially at address ( too tense)* Play more full rounds (failed from 2010)

So, is the rotation a mental thing or a natural thing? In other words, will a proper set up and swing make it happen naturally, or do I have to also think about turning the forearms during the swing?

In my Bag:
Forgan Red Square 460 Driver
A2 OS Irons 3-PW
and Some sort of putter

That's the exact same thing my PGA pro was working with me on and it's helped a ton. Not only is the slice gone I'm hitting down and into the ball much more frequently giving added distance.

The thing that he showed me to get it through my head was having me hold a club parallel to the ground with the grip in my left hand and my right hand supporting the shaft. He told me to use my left hand to turn the grip (counter-clockwise) like you would turn a screwdriver to screw something into the wall and said that is the motion I need to work on before impact to square the clubface. It's worked wonders. For me it's mental, have to remind myself to do it or I will leave the clubface open. Hopefully with some more repitition it will become natural.

SLDR 430 TP Graphite Design DI-6s
SLDR Mini Driver TP Graphite Design DI-6s
SLDR 4h Matrix Black Tie 95s
Ping G25 4-PW
Ping Gorge 50, 54, 58

Ping Anser IWI

Good point. I was working on correcting my slice by ensuring my forearms turned after the moment of impact, which helped a little bit, but now I have a tendency to draw the ball with my shorter irons.

I agree. In fact, I learned to fade the ball by holding a bit tighter onto the club with my left hand. The 16th at my home club requires a carry over a quarry to a short iron dog leg right. The further right you hit your tee shot, the farther you have to carry the quarry, from 200 yds to maybe 240. To play it safe I usually hit a bit left and look for the fade & roll right. Regarding fighting the slice: I do sometimes get in a habit of not making a full shoulder turn back, which results in "coming over the top." - Even if I swing from the inside, I'm off the proper plane, which causes either a slice when I don't turn the club over, or a pull or duck-hook when I do.

In my TM r7 Stand bag:
Driver- r11 10.5° Reg shaft

Fairway wood - r11 3 wood
Hybrids- r11 3, 4 & 5
Irons- M1 6-AW, xft 50, xft 54.12 , xft 60.08°
Still have / love my r7 CGB Max 6-PW, xft 50, xft 54.12, xft 60.08° which I keep in Myrtle Beach, Tommy Armour 855 Putter

I struggled mightily with an open club face. One of the biggest changes for me was strengthening my glove hand on my grip. I also had flying open hips left over from years of baseball. Sometimes with a weak grip it can be impossible to consistently rotate those wrists and close the face at impact like your talking about. I wonder if that played into it for you?

In the bag:

Irons X20 5-SW
Hybrids Slingshot 20* and 23*
Fairway Wood SasQuatch 15* Rescue:18* Perfect Plus (Don't laugh! I fairway people to death with that thing!)Putter Dual Force 550 Proudly, I hit no Driver. Who needs it?

Totally block out the left side by NOT turning over the wrists. Rolling the wrists is timing dependent and the ball sprays anywhere if your timing is not perfect.

Instead just use your core rotation to shut the clubface, ie keep your left arm glued to your armpit and the club will finish low and left, ball will go straight. Side benefit is compressing the ball on almost every shot.

That's the exact same thing my PGA pro was working with me on and it's helped a ton. Not only is the slice gone I'm hitting down and into the ball much more frequently giving added distance.

The screwdriver turning is a great analogy that really is the motion I was trying to explain in my OP. I have been working at it hard the last couple days and now its in my muscle memory, So for me its mental also. I just tell myself to focus on that, And its great cause everything else that might be in your head before driving is cleared and now that I got the hang of it, Its almost like that last half second before I hit the ball moves in slow mo and I can watch my forearm turn and square up. Lastly I was scooping up the ball cause I was always told you hit the ball on the upswing. Well If you swing down at the ball like its an iron, THAT is the key , becuase its in your front stance your still going to hit it on the upswing but your coming in with the thought of smashing that ball into the ground and holy crap watch out cause here comes the launch.

So, is the rotation a mental thing or a natural thing? In other words, will a proper set up and swing make it happen naturally, or do I have to also think about turning the forearms during the swing?

It depends on how you swing. If you are getting your power from your hands/arms/upper body, then you have to consciously (make it happen) rotate your arms/hands. As mentioned above, this requires great timing. When you're on, you're on. When you're off, you will be way off. Requires a lot of practice to keep your timing down. It can be done, lot's of great hands players or upper body guys out there.

If you are getting your power from your lower body, then it just happens as long as you let it happen. If you have any tension in your swing, you will wreck this natural rotation and it will just slice and slice away. However, the lower body player isn't so dependent on timing, more rhythm. So it is a more consistent type of swing. I like to think of it as the weight of the club head is controlling me, not the other way around. The club head naturally, through design and the laws of physics, wants to square up at impact, then turn over after impact. Us idiots just don't allow it to do want it wants to do. We try and manipulate it, which in turn, throws the club head out and across our plane, plus kills all our swing speed. You got to just let it go. Increase the swing weight to around D3 or D4 on one of your clubs and see how much better you are aware of the club head. Really helped me out. Do some research. Figure out where your power is coming from. Learn how flexible you are and then adopt a swing style that fits your flexibility. It makes no sense what so ever to try and get to parallel at the top, if you are straining and forcing it. You will never be consistent, more likely you will come over the top and cut across the ball causing a slice or you will rotate your hands/arms and just pull it dead straight 40 yards left of the target line. You must get the club head on plane coming down and have the clubface square at impact, no amount of arm/hand rotation is going overcome those two things. All this is based on my personal experience fighting the same stuff. Still fighting it.....but I have a much better understanding of what I'm up against now and it gives me hope.

WITB:
Driver-B'stone J33R 9.5* Pro Force V2 65S 44.5"
3w/5w-B'stone J33R 15-18* NV75 Stiff
3h Ping G10 21* TFC Stiff
irons-Mizuno Pro II w/4-9, MP-T 47 PW, currently have DG S300. X100 Soft Stepped 1x or PX 6.0 are on stand by.GW Mizuno MP-T 53-9* DG R300LW Titleist Vokey SM 58-12* DG Wedge flexT...

A slice is caused by an open face at impact. JMHO...a sound grip will allow you to square the clubface without any conscious effort or compensating moves. But everyone's swing is different. I know that once I began to hold the butt of the club in my fingers, I was able to eliminate the right side of the course. Now to fix my swing plane...

I know this is off topic for this thread, but I had to say: your home club looks like an awesome course to play at. The website is also pretty well designed, as I like how I can bring up the hole details by selecting the hole number.

2011 Goals:
* Improve club-head speed to 90 mph with the driver
* Ensure increased speed does not compromise accuracy
* Prevent overextending on the back-swing (left-arm is bending too much at the top)
* Relax arms initially at address ( too tense)* Play more full rounds (failed from 2010)

Note: This thread is 5607 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!