IGNORED

What is your #1 golf tip for golf improvement

Rounders
Note: This thread is 3928 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Pablo68

Sound advice.

Arnold Palmer...........learn to hit it hard first then work on accuracy.

I wouldn't go that far. I say work on consistent contact, hitting hard to me is all about not decelerating or being non-committal but I believe accuracy should come before power. But that is just an opinion.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

I wouldn't go that far. I say work on consistent contact, hitting hard to me is all about not decelerating or being non-committal but I believe accuracy should come before power. But that is just an opinion.

Learn to swing fast first then dial it back a little to control it. Learning to hit it straight first then try adding speed I would think be more difficult.

Learn to swing fast first then dial it back a little to control it. Learning to hit it straight first then try adding speed I would think be more difficult.

Maybe that's why I suck? Lol.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

I've made that suggestion before (I don't really favor a chipper either, but dump the 60° wedge and learn to play the chip and roll), and it doesn't usually sit well with most players.  I guess it's too old school.

I had a good short game, but then I thought like many that the LW was a required skill if I wanted to call my self a player.   I tried for years to get comfortable with a 60°, then a 58°.   My short game got steadily worse, my handicap rose from a lifetime low of 9.6 to nearly 16.  I finally ended the experiment, settled on 56° as my highest wedge, went back to what I came up with and my short game came back to me.  My handicap dropped back down to 11, even though I was in my 60's and loss of distance was making the long game harder.  I personally will never put another LW in my bag again.

I wouldn't dump my 60° LW for anything. As with all your clubs, it's knowing when to use it and when not to use it.

If you have little green to work with use the LW.

If you have plenty of green to work with, use another club to get the ball on the putting surface and get it rolling. Using the same chipping stroke and just change the club. I've chipped with every iron in my bag.

And you post that you are an 8 handicap - we were talking about mid to high handicappers.  The LW is a difficult club to make consistent contact with, particularly for a player who doesn't even make consistent contact when chipping with a PW.   Instead of trying to get too cute with a 60° when they short side themselves and chunking or skulling the shot, they would be better off just getting the ball on the green where the next shot is a putt.  Sometimes you just have to take your medicine.

I don't give a hoot what anyone actually does, but if the near bogey golfer really wants to save some strokes in the short game, he'll be money ahead if he dumps the lob wedge out of his bag until he has gained the skill to actually use one.  Last I read, even Tom Watson doesn't carry one, and he has some pretty crazy short game skills.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Head up and eyes down. Otherwise your shoulder move is messed up because the head is in the way.

Driver: 10.5* callaway Razr Hawk Tour - 350 yards(usually into the wind, it can be windy here. at least 400 with a little wind behind me)

Hybrids: 2 and 3 callaway Hybrid razr tour (312 and 287 respectively)

Irons: 3i-10i callaway forged standard length(278, 263, 250, 235, 221, 213, 201, 190)

Wedges: callaway jaws cc 52* 12 approach, 56* 16 sand, 60* 13 lob (0-185)

Odyssey Black tour #9 putter(5 ft, i'm always at least within 5 feet on my approach shot)

I wonder who on this forum is a PGA tour pro, disguised as a normal player.. 

2013: play in the US amateur qualifier

Head up and eyes down. Otherwise your shoulder move is messed up because the head is in the way.

Not to beat a dead horse but - that's not true if you turn your shoulder down.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Totally agree. There is a great thread debunking the old "athletic set-up" idea. I would encourage all to read.

My tip would be get your weight/pressure more forward at impact. Usually this is best accomplished by sliding your hips forward. Just make sure that your upper center (head and sternum) do not move forward.

Driver - Titleist 913D2 10.5* 3 Wood - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 3 15* Hybrid - Ping G20 20* Hybrid - Ping G20 23* Irons - Ping i20 5-PW KBS Tour Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM4 50* 54* 58* Putter - Tom Slighter Snubnose

Always, always, always accelerate the clubhead through impact.

Ping i15 9.0 (UST Mamiya S)

Cobra X-Speed 4+ Wood (Aldila S)

Cobra Baffler 3-Hybrid (19)

Mizuno JPX-825 Pro (4-GW) KBS Tour S

Cobra Rusty 55 SW

Cobra Rusty 59 LW

Never Compromise Gambler (34")

Sure. But that doesn't seem to be a particularly natural way to swing the shoulders. It's a piece of advice Luke Donald talked about that's helped me be a lot more consistent. The pros keep their head in a straight line with the spine. So many times we hear "keep your head down" but a lot of people end up with their head too far down. Just my observation though, I could be wrong. But its helped me a lot.

Driver: 10.5* callaway Razr Hawk Tour - 350 yards(usually into the wind, it can be windy here. at least 400 with a little wind behind me)

Irons: 3i-10i callaway forged standard length(278, 263, 250, 235, 221, 213, 201, 190)

Odyssey Black tour #9 putter(5 ft, i'm always at least within 5 feet on my approach shot)

Our spines aren't straight lines naturally, trying to make them straight and rigid is unnatural. Have a bit of a rounded feel to the upper back, and turn your shoulders on a slightly steeper angle, this will allow you to turn your head down and look at the ball without straining.

Colin P.

Really...............if you want to improve....you have to play a lot.    There is no simple fix.  Playing once/twide a week is a start................

I never practice........... I played a lot of golf to get to a 0HC.  I haven't hit a ball on the range since 1995.  I played my way to a 0HC.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Originally Posted by colin007

Our spines aren't straight lines naturally, trying to make them straight and rigid is unnatural. Have a bit of a rounded feel to the upper back, and turn your shoulders on a slightly steeper angle, this will allow you to turn your head down and look at the ball without straining.

I should clarify. I don't mean straight and rigid. Straight as in natural/comfortable. No hunching over or anything, and the head should go in line with the comfortable spine position. You could have the head as low as you want, but then you'd have to have an extremely steep swing. you shouldn't put the head "down" because steep shoulder swings are hard to repeat. Head down advice causes as many problems as it fixes. Eyes down at the ball.

Originally Posted by onephenom

I should clarify. I don't mean straight and rigid. Straight as in natural/comfortable. No hunching over or anything, and the head should go in line with the comfortable spine position. You could have the head as low as you want, but then you'd have to have an extremely steep swing. you shouldn't put the head "down" because steep shoulder swings are hard to repeat. Head down advice causes as many problems as it fixes. Eyes down at the ball.

as a 4 hc, you are a much better player than i am, but i have to disagree with a couple things.

the angle that you turn your shoulders on does not determine the steepness of the swing.  you can have a steep shoulder turn and a flat swing, and vice versa.

the reason why we want a steeper shoulder turn is two-fold  - it becomes more perpendicular to the angle of the spine and therefore more efficient.  steep shoulders also mean that the head isnt going to be bumped by the left shoulder on the backswing, and that the head can remain in a better position for you to be able to see the ball without angling your eyes downward and straining them.

Colin P.

Originally Posted by skywaterbanjo

My one tip - memorize this:

I love it!  This is beginner catatonia over the ball.  Good find!

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Note: This thread is 3928 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!