IGNORED

2009 Dark Horse Players

Ben
Note: This thread is 5524 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Watch out for Steve Marino, who was also my dark horse last season. He quietly finished 36th on the money list last year with a second, two thirds and 6 top tens.

Also from last year, I still have my eyes on George McNeill. Yeah, he did have a win last year, but I still think he's a bit overlooked. Looking for another good year out of this guy.

Who's on your list?

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

I've got to go with Kevin Streelman also.

aeroburner tp 10.5 stiff
superfast tp 2.0 3 wood stiff
Halo 25 and taylormade tp 19 degree hybrids
miura cb 202 and wedge
tp 52* wedge, tp 56* taylormade spider mallet putter

Marino is a good choice for a dark horse. However, Briny Baird had a better season average finishing position up to the last tour event in 2008 (33 from 29 events vs 43.6 from 31 events).

Make of that what you will!

-----------------------
Golf Predictor Guru
-----------------------

For me its got to be Scott Piercy, hes a streaky player, a nationwide tour grad who knows how to win, he comes in patches but when he hits form, hes pretty damn special! won twice last year and came 2nd and 6th within something like 6 weeks, I backed him each way at the sony open at 300/1..... (finished tied 12th or something like that) I also read that in 2007 he won the Ultimate Game which carried a winners cheque of $2,000,000.... the largest winning money for an event! hes a birdie machine and when he catches fire, its hard to stop him! Im going to back him again this week and have £10 each way, can only get 150/1 for him though

Bubba Watson

In the Bag:

Driver: Titleist 910d3 9.5* Stiff Projext X-7A3 Rescue: Taylor Made Burner TP 20* X-stiff 3 Iron: Titleist AP2 Projext X Rifle Irons: Titleist 710mb NS PRO 105T Stiff Wedges Cleveland CG12 60* Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 56.07 Cleveland CG14 52* Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio 2.5 (2008) Ball: Titleist Pro-V1

Webb Simpson

Danny Willett

WEAPONS:
Taylormade R9 10.5 L Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 15 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 19 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade Tour Preferred 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 51Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 55Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 59Yes! Tracy II putterTitleist...

Yeah, Kevin Streelman is a good one. I'll keep my eye on that Piercy guy.

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

I'm looking for Andres Romero to have a break out year; maybe 2 or 3 wins and 1 or 2 top 5s in Majors. I'm not really sure if he would qualify as a dark horse. He won the Zurich last year and took the PGA Tour Rookie of the Year. I really don't see a lot of coverage dedicated to him, so I'll call him my dark horse and hope he shows well.

Briny has been knocking at the door for a few years now. I think once he loses the dorky straw hat, he'll finally see his day.

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

I'm in agreement about Simpson, Marino, and Baird. Back in the Best Ball days, the latter two were frequently on my team.

How about Martin Laird?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Parker McLaughlin will have a big year, and so will Dustin Johnson. I also think the Zach Johnson(favoirte player) will have a big year, and that these two recent vistories will boost his confidence after a bad 2008.

I'm throwing James Oh on the list. Although he's a rookie this season and he may be suited for a 2010 dark horse thread, but the guy can go low. He played on the Golden State Tour last year and was second on the money list. In the tournaments that I was around he was in the lead or right up there and always posted some low numbers. I think once he gets a few made cuts under his belt, he'll be one to watch.

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

I think the biggest surprise this year will be Bubba Watson will win MULTIPLE times.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

After watching the first couple rounds of the Bob Hope I'm really starting to like Richard S. Johnson. Not to mention he started when he was 15, and was on the European Tour when he was 20.

Yeah, you're right. I know he did pretty well for himself, or at least I remember seeing his name a lot, last year. Seeing him start off well this year is nice to see.

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Note: This thread is 5524 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!