IGNORED

Chucky has finally put on some weight

Quinn07
Note: This thread is 5584 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Anyone catch the Sony open on the GC. They mentioned that Charles Howell 3 has put on nearly 20 pounds of muscle!! That's crazy for a guy who was already long on the tour, now he actually weighs more than teenage cheerleader. Does this make him a serious contender? I know he somewhat choked coming down 18, but does a little bit of muscle and fitness make Chuck a serious contender?

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

maybe the muscle will help but i liked his old look more when he looked like some kind of extraterrestrial

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

Anyone catch the Sony open on the GC. They mentioned that Charles Howell 3 has put on nearly 20 pounds of muscle!! That's crazy for a guy who was already long on the tour, now he actually weighs more than teenage cheerleader. Does this make him a serious contender? I know he somewhat choked coming down 18, but does a little bit of muscle and fitness make Chuck a serious contender?

So that's where the weight I wanted to put on in 2008 went. Still, good for him.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I read where his new coach is hard on him, and that it worked well for him at Oklahoma State under Mike Holder. I hope he can get over the hump, and get to the next level.
play4him

Driver: Titleist 905R
3-Wood: Titleist 904F
Hybrid: Titleist 585 19 DegreeIrons: TitleistWedges (PW,Gap,SW,Lob): TitleistPutter: Bettinardi C04

I'm excited to see what he's got in store for this year. I was going to include him in my dark horse thread, only because of his faulty '08 season. I think the new weight will do him well.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

He looks healthier---previously looked malnourished and significanty below his ideal body weight. At times, his ball flight and ball striking can be breathtakingly beautiful. I admire his moral fortitude (almost refusing to drink beer after winning the Michelob in 2002). Michelob is a pretty good beer and almost everyone else on tour would have taken a healthy swig (I would have also). To publicly fake a sip, then show a Bitter Beer Face, and quickly hand the bottle to his caddy, was simultaneously amuzing and impressive.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

I like his attitude. When he was asked about the final round and his experiences on the 18th hole in tourneys he said he wanted to focus on the positives and not the negatives. I liked how he handled himself and how he seemed to be in a good mood. The tour benefits from players like this IMO.

As everyone knows, I'm possibly the biggest Charles Howell III fan in the world. That being said, 20 more pounds isn't going to help him hit more fairways and make more putts down the stretch.

I was happy CH3 put himself in the hunt with a chip-in at the 70th hole and a long birdie putt at the 71st hole. Then, he made an awful bogey at the 72nd hole and fell down to a fourth-place finish. It was a nice open to his season, but as always, it could have and should have been better.

And by the way, I really couldn't see an extra 20 pounds, but I'll believe the announcers. I think a few of it was in his hair alone. :)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As everyone knows, I'm possibly the biggest Charles Howell III fan in the world. That being said, 20 more pounds isn't going to help him hit more fairways and make more putts down the stretch.

I think you will be surprised how putting on muscle will help his game. I mean look at Tiger, he's strong enough to muscle those shots out of the rough and other terrible places, where some guys aren't able too (I am in no way comparing CH3 to Tiger woods physically). Perhaps this will help CH3 at the end of tournaments (didn't really show that at the Sony, but whatever) where it will be easier to finish as he is stronger and has a better fitness level. I would like to see him get away from being so mechanical.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

Note: This thread is 5584 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!