IGNORED

Ping Tour S59 irons

Note: This thread is 1869 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
Hey people,

Without telling us more about your game, that's next to impossible.

Pros: they're not "Northwestern" golf clubs. Cons: they cost money, unless you intend to steal them. That's about as good as any of us can do with the info you've given.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I used to play a set of the original S59 from the tour dept. So this is what I can say in general about them

Appearance:

Ping returns to a traditional looking club with the S59. This club has a nice moderate blade length with a moderately round and thin topline. This iron has a somewhat "blade"-like appearance with the two previously mentioned features along with minimal offset. These irons are even more traditional looking in the "Tour" model with their satin/brushed finish and the ferrules. Great iron appearance wise for those that like the blade appearance but want to remain using the Ping brand.

Playability:

These irons are great for the better player who likes the Ping irons. The irons have minimal offset for a Ping iron allowing them to be workable in both directions for the good player who realizes that a straight shot isn't always the perfect shot. The irons provide markdely more forgiveness than traditional blade irons (i.e. 695 mb, CG1, etc.) on both thin shots as well as offcenter shots. The irons are great from tight lies or fluffy lies with their intermediate sole width and bounce. These are great for the low handicapper who wants the workability of blades with the forgiveness of Ping or any other cavity back.

Ball Flight:

As with any iron ball flight is greatly influenced by the players swing as well as the shafts fitted in the clubs. With the right shaft these clubs provide a great boring trajectory much the same as any other properly fit iron. With the minimal blade-like offset you do not have to worry about constantly seeing the left side of the golf course due to clunky heads etc. I found the ballflight nice and high and soft with a great trajectory that way not overly effected by the wind.

Overall:

These are great clubs for those who like Ping clubs but want a blade-like iron. With great forgiveness for this style iron they are incredibly playable and have great feel overall. These irons have a traditional appearance and the Tour even more so. I'd say if your a low handicapper who likes Ping irons but want the playability of a blade you should definitely check these irons out.

Pros - almost everything bout the club
Cons - forgiving for a blade but not as forgiving as a Cavity Back iron
  • Like 1

whats so bad about the "northwestern" blades, huh? They feel pretty sweet and have this really loud sound to it when you it right. Sound is amazing, why is this a con?

• 2 years later...

I just bought a set of these as my number 2 irons....
They give you nice feed back on off hits...and you can shape your shots
pretty easy with them.
They are about 10 yards shorter than ...
my number 1 irons which are ...circa 1984 Wilson staff Goosenecks...
which are a forged club.

Ty

Stix:

Driver: Taylormade superquad 9.5 deg
Fairway: Taylormade burner 3 & 5 woods)
Hybrid: Taylormade 3iIrons 1: Mizuno MP-32Irons 2: Tommy Armour muscleback bladesIrons 3: Wilson Staff Goosenecks (1984Wedges:Titliest vokey and & lob 60 degPutter 1: Tad Moore MnBr bladePutter 2: Tommy Armour...

i love mine, very forgiving for a blade. i dont really work the ball that much but i do play with my trajectory and they respond well. soft as any forged iron i have ever hit but with good feedback on the misses, not like mizzy and titty who obviously dont play golf in the winter. all in all i love them. the only diff as noted before was the tour model has ferruls and a polished head. other than that exactly the same.

-matt

Driver: 09 Burner 10.5 Aldila NV 65 X Stiff
3wd: G10 14* Aldila NV 85 X Stiff
Hybrid: G10 18* Aldila NV 105 X Stiff
3-PW: I10 X100
Wedge: Tour 52* & 58* S400Putter: Circa 62 No.2 35" Ball: Tour IXLowest 9 (-E) 36Lowest 18 (+2) 73

• 7 months later...
Just thought I'd balance up page 1 of the message boards what with all the Mizuno threads lol.
I'm looking at picking up some S59's to try out, just wanting some feedback from those who have played them before. Also, is there much difference between the 58's and 59's?
adams.gif Speedline fast 10 9.5˚
adams.gif Speedline fast 10 15˚
adams.gif A7 17˚
adams.gif Idea Pro 3-PW
mizuno.gif MP T-11 52˚, MP T-10 58˚  cameron.gif Red X  titleist.gif NXT

I have a set of 59's if your intrested, just shoot me a PM, 3-pw, zz 65.

But i really liked em.. pretty neat feeling, minimal glare, good enough playability for any shot you have in your inventory. Compared to the 58's, i thought the 59's were a little bit more high launching, with a bit more exciting ball flight, where as i thought the 58's were a little low boring ball flight.

Much forgiving for the play a bility you get from em.

If you have any questions, i would be more than happy to take them to the range and hit em for you, i can compare to R7 TP, MP60, MP 30, MP 32, Burner XD, and a few others that i have hit recently.

Brian

|Callaway FT-9 Tour Neutral 9.5 Diamana BlueBoard| TaylorMade TourLaunch 14.5 Matrix Ozik F7M2 X| Adams Idea Pro 20 Matrix Ozik Altus X| Mizuno MP-32 4-PW TTDG S300|Titleist Vokey 50| Tour Issue Titleist Black Ni Vokey SM 54|Callaway X Forged 62 || Kirk Currie Brazos| Callaway Tour IX/...

Im in the UK so probably won' take you up on your offer, thanks anyway. What is the stock zz65 shaft like? (is it similar to the s300?) Also, is the PW bulky looking or is it suitable for more delicate chip shots?
adams.gif A7 17˚
adams.gif Idea Pro 3-PW

Ah, well if you would like i can snap some pics of the PW next to my Vokey and MP 32's. Personaly, i have never used the PW around the green, so im not much help there.

|Callaway FT-9 Tour Neutral 9.5 Diamana BlueBoard| TaylorMade TourLaunch 14.5 Matrix Ozik F7M2 X| Adams Idea Pro 20 Matrix Ozik Altus X| Mizuno MP-32 4-PW TTDG S300|Titleist Vokey 50| Tour Issue Titleist Black Ni Vokey SM 54|Callaway X Forged 62 || Kirk Currie Brazos| Callaway Tour IX/...

Left to right Vokey 54-Mizzy MP32 PW- Ping S59 PW

Im in the UK so probably won' take you up on your offer, thanks anyway. What is the stock zz65 shaft like? (is it similar to the s300?) Also, is the PW bulky looking or is it suitable for more delicate chip shots?

ZZ65s are higher launching and lighter than the DGS300s.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

Yes, the ZZ are pretty weird. They probboly play more like an S200 than S300

I have and use S59 Tour irons (3-pw) and I use the Tour wedges. There is neglegable difference between the 59s and 58s. My clubs of choice sice I started playing again in 2004 have gone: Ping Eye 2 (2004-2005) the clubs I had before my five year (college) hiatus; Ping ISI-steel (2005-2006), Ping i3 blade (2006-2007), Ping i5 (1st half 2007), Ping S59 Tour (latter half of 2007 - present).

My handicap has gone from a 15 (2004) to a 5 (today). As my game has progressed I've 'upgraded' my irons.

I am very satisfied with the look and feel of the S59s. They are very responsive to shaping shots, they are definitive on feedback. I feel like I can knock down flags from the 8-iron through the wedges. I am very confident in the 7,6,5 irons. The 4 and 3 rarely get hit, and I'm considering taking out the 3 iron for a 21º hybrid.

Overall I really like the clubs.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

Thanks for all the feedback, I think I'll go for it and give them a try.
adams.gif A7 17˚
adams.gif Idea Pro 3-PW

I have a 3-PW set (Tour irons with ferrule; red dot - can get bent via Ping if you need adjustment; decent condition) which I'm about to get ready for eBay. Rifle flighted 5.5s (newish) and Lamkin Xline midsize grips in excellent condition.

I liked them a lot but I fell in love with my current irons so the S59s have to go I'm afraid. The TFR shafts give a slightly higher launch (and better feel IMO) than the S300s, which I liked; found the S300s too low for me in these heads.

I'm in the U.K. so if you want some pictures let me know and I'll take a few snaps.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have agreed a trade in on my current irons but thanks for the offer. Does a trade with my Nike CCi cast, SV tour wedge + £25 sound like a good offer?
adams.gif A7 17˚
adams.gif Idea Pro 3-PW

• 2 weeks later...
The S59's knocked Mizuno's MP-32's out of my bag. I can play any shot with them but the Ping's save me an extra shot or two a round, due to the forgiveness. I have the zz65 shaft and didn't really notice a flight difference over the DGS300's, I'm sure the similar flight is because of the head/shaft combo of the two irons. If were to put a different shaft in I would think the ball flight would be too low.

All in all the S59's suit my game perfectly.

My draw is your cut.

My bag-
Driver- Callaway X460 Tour. 9.5 degree, Fujikura stiff.
3-Wood- Taylor Made V-SteelUtility- Nickent 3DX 17 degreeIrons (3-PW) Ping S59'sWedges Cleveland 900 series 58 degree, Titleist Vokey 54 degree SWPutter- Scotty Cameron Circa #2Ball- Taylor Made Tour Red

Note: This thread is 1869 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!