IGNORED

"Uneven Lies" on The Golf Channel tonight

PEZGolf
Note: This thread is 5523 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The other book upon which the show was based is called "Forbidden Fairways", hence the blending of the two for the title for the show.

Thanks for the Titleist link.

My wife and I watched the late night replay, snoozing the minute it was over. Didn't get a chance to talk about it until the next evening. Surprisingly, we both had exactly same take . . . it wasn't nearly as good as it could have been. For all the hype, it was good, but not great and not the groundbreaking show it should have been. It really was documentary "light", and as you can tell I am disappointed it was not better.

It was not cohesive at all. I think they needed at least 90 to 120 minutes with more history and background more sequentially presented, with the comments interspersed in a more logical fashion and the anecdotes, of which there could have been more, also more organized. There was nothing in the production to suggest any real budgetary reasons why it could not have been longer. The subject matter needed more time and I think more could have been drawn out of some of the participants. Some of the comments seemed like a bit of fill, not just Tiger's.

Needed a lot more "meat".

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
King Cobra Comp 5w (YS 5.1 Stiff)
AP1 4,5; AP2 6-P; Vokey 252 08, SM56 14, SM60 08 (Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Regular)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

The other book upon which the show was based is called "Forbidden Fairways", hence the blending of the two for the title for the show.

Good critique. I had not thought about the possibility of making it more thorough and in depth. I guess I was simply thrilled that someone had finally done something like this on TV. I did click on the Titleist link to hopefully receive the book so I can read it for myself.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

Don't get me wrong, I thought it was good, just wanted more. We were talking that if we were African-American, given that nothing like this has really appeared, to our knowledge, on TV about golf, we might feel excited initially, but then let down a bit just because it didn't go as far or as in depth as it may have. Maybe my disappointment is partially a function of not wanting it to be over, but I watched it again, and still think it's a bit disorganized.

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
AP1 4,5; AP2 6-P; Vokey 252 08, SM56 14, SM60 08 (Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Regular)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

I agree with you. It was a very interesting documentary and I especially liked two aspects of it:

I was really moved by this show. I interviewed Scott Vancy III this week on my blog and it brought home what those guys did to make golf a possibility for guys like Scott. Why don't more African American kids play golf?

Golfgal
www.golfgal-blog.com

I was really moved by this show. I interviewed Scott Vancy III this week on my

Here are my theories:

1. Expense---golf is way too expensive for the average boy or girl unless their parents have mucho deneiro. 2. Location----young children have no access to driving ranges or golf courses because they do not live right next to them, so they have to rely on their parents to get them there 3. Parents---most kids learn golf from their parents. If the parents do not play, neither will their children (in most cases). Golf is a sport that perpetuates itself. This means that the question of having more Afro-Americans play golf is a difficult one since the natural spawning source for future players does not exist. It is a vicious cycle. Few players begets few players for the future. 4. Image--sure, Tiger is "cool", but it is more "hip" to be a football, basketball, or baseball star. What girl wants to hook up with a guy who plays a wimpy game like golf? I mean---it is NOT really macho, is it?

Maybe my disappointment is partially a function of not wanting it to be over, but I watched it again, and still think it's a bit disorganized.

It was quite a bit disorganized. I watched it with no idea it was merely a one hour presentation. Based on all the hype I assumed it was an ongoing series, 4 to 6 programs minimum.

As the show skipped clumsily from topic to topic I thought it was merely a grabber technique, trying to highlight certain aspects for lengthy examination in subsequent shows. Not until 10 minutes remained did I realize they were hinting of wrapping up, and it was a one shot deal. I was flabbergasted. It felt like a semi waste, considering the potential.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator
Titleist is giving away a free copy of the book, too, if you act quickly:

BTW, I got my free book last week.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

BTW, I got my free book last week.

I recieved a copy, too. Thanks for the heads-up.

This is a super nice hardcover edition, too. Hard to imagine Accushnet shipping these out for free. Certainly a great addition to the meager golf library.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I recieved a copy, too. Thanks for the heads-up.

I just received mine as well. As you said, it is impressive. I will not be able to read it until next week, but I am going to do that.

Mine came and thanks to whomever it was that had the tip on this because I'm pretty sure it was on this site I read about it and immediately got on the list. I had forgotten it was coming, very happy to get it.

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

Note: This thread is 5523 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!