IGNORED

Gloves -

Note: This thread is 5558 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How often do you buy a new glove?

I have used footjoy gloves for as long as I can remember and I'm sick and tired of them falling apart so quickly. It seems like about 2 rounds in and I could use a new glove. I often find myself playing with a glove with holes in it. Yesterday I played a whole round with a hole in the palm.

I think part of the problem may have been that until recently I used full cord grips, which are very rough, but I've since switched to tour velvet and I'm wondering how that will affect the life of the glove.

Are footjoy gloves as tough as the rest, or should I look to another brand?

"take a couple weeks off - then quit for good"

- X-460 Tour 10.5 Fujikura Stiff
- War Bird 15deg 3 Wood
- MX-23 Irons
- Vokey 52 + 55deg wedges
- 900 60deg Low Bounce - Studio Design 1.5 - Pro V1x - SG4Sun Mountain Carry and Great Divider Cart Bags.

I typically purchase whatever glove is on sale in multi-packs. The past 2 years have been the Etonic 3 pack @ TGW for $15 bucks. I usually play the glove until it tears a hole in the glove that a standard tee can fit through. I always have at least 1 extra glove in the bag (in a zip lock bag to keep it dry in case of weather) in case this happens during a round. When I put the last new glove into the bag, it is time to order a new 3 pack or look for the next best deal. I have tried some more expensive gloves, and haven't noticed enough of a difference. I would rather put the $ saved into the quality ball that I am playing than into expensive (disposable at times) gloves.

WITB
Driver: Ping G425 - Aldila Rogue White
3 Wood: Nike SQ Dymo 
Hybrid: TaylorMade SLDR
Irons: Ping i525 Retro Spec
Wedges: Cleveland 588 (52,56,60)
Putter: Never Compromise Gamble Limited Custom

Balls: Titleist ProV1

I haven't bought a glove in months. I use the Taylormade Targa Tour. I've used it for my once-a-week rounds, and all my practice time (range at least once a week, hitting at home into the net, etc) since at least last summer and it looks almost new.

I'm sure cord grips are not helping, but I would recommend this glove if your not anti-Taylormade or something.

Don't wear a glove, haven't worn one for 10+ years. I too play a cord grip and found that a I really didn't need a glove and it was just another expense that I didn't need. If it is good enough for Fred Couples it's good enough for me.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Don't wear a glove, haven't worn one for 10+ years. I too play a cord grip and found that a I really didn't need a glove and it was just another expense that I didn't need. If it is good enough for Fred Couples it's good enough for me.

I've actually been considering losing the glove myself.

"take a couple weeks off - then quit for good"

- X-460 Tour 10.5 Fujikura Stiff
- War Bird 15deg 3 Wood
- MX-23 Irons
- Vokey 52 + 55deg wedges
- 900 60deg Low Bounce - Studio Design 1.5 - Pro V1x - SG4Sun Mountain Carry and Great Divider Cart Bags.

I find myself buying a new glove about every 10-12 rounds. The used gloves become my practice gloves as they usually have a bit of life in them at the end of that time.

I found a couple things useful in extending glove life. I tend to take it off after a shot and let it air out as I wait for others to hit and walk to my ball. Putting it on a few steps before I find my ball.

I also use a seperate glove for the front and back 9, especially when it is warm out and the hands get sweaty so the glove gets damp. I hang the front 9 glove on the bag to air out.

I have no proof other than personal experience that this will actually extend glove life. It could just be my perception.

-E

In my Grom bag:

Driver........... Burner 9.5* S-Flex
3-Wood......... Burner 15* S-Flex
5-Wood......... Ovation 18* S-FlexIrons............. Pro Combos 3,5-PW Rifle 6.0Wedges......... CG12 52.10, 56.14, 60.10Putter............ 33" VP1 Milled PutterBall................ e6+ or B330-SRangefinder.....

A glove can usually last me a month and a half, but then again, I don't do more than maybe 200 range balls a month, tops, not counting warm-up balls. I buy until I have 6 unused gloves every time Roger Dunn does a $4 glove sale - their house brand of gloves feel great to me, fit snugly, and I even like the look.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Nothing but Footjoy Stasofts here. They just fit and feel best to me.

I probably get 20 rounds or so out of one.......maybe less in the heat of the summer, though I do rotate through a couple in a single round. I remove it for chipping and putting and I also rotate used gloves to practice duty.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Nothing but Footjoy Stasofts here. They just fit and feel best to me.

i couldn't agree more! its a great glove, classic look and great soft feel, only downside is that it doesn't last very long, i need to buy a new one every month or so!!

In my :mizuno: Staff Bag
Driver: :ping: i15 S-flex USTMamiya Tour Red
Fairway: :titleist: 909F2 15.5 X-flex UST Proforce V2 85
Hybrid: :mizuno: MP-FliHi 21* S300 +2 deg, +1/2"
Irons: :mizuno: MP-67 4-PW DG S300 +2 deg, +1/2"

Wedges: :vokey: Spin Milled 52.08 56.08 60.04

Putter: :cameron: Newport Beach customised by Kevin Colbert

Ball: :callaway: HX Black

GPS: :skycaddie: SGX

I use cord grips and chew up gloves fairly quick, too. I view it as one of those consumables that is part of playing. Tees, balls, gloves, softspikes, Advil, etc.

I generally don't spring for the latest & greatest gloves but get the ones on sale at TGW.com or get the Titleist factory seconds from a local golf shop here in town....they run about $10 and are fairly thin.....great feel. Overall, I prefer the thinner leather gloves, however some of the synthetics are really getting better....and dry faster.

I always buy two gloves at a time...unless it's summer, then I'll buy three. The reason for this is that I'll rotate them every so often....in the summer it's about every hole. Nothing like playing in 100 degree heat and off the chart humidity.

I'll play a glove until it has severly worn spots that don't grip well or it becomes too slick.

I've tried going gloveless.....just didn't work for me. It sure would be cheaper and less mess to keep up with.

Those Tour Velvets you have are super grips. Should work great and give your glove a lot more life.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I had problems with Footjoy gloves only lasting a few rounds before becoming very slick. I wasnt impressed with them.
Towards the end of last year I switched to the Mizuno Retroflex and I found that it lasted a lot longer than the FJs that I tried.
The Retroflex that I have now has over 10 rounds of use on it and hasnt slickened up and shows no signs of wear.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I got a free cheap golfsmith Zevo glove $6 value. It lasted a few weeks before the holes started.

Then I got an adidas black glove (dont know the name) for $10. I like it since the wrist strap is low and it's black and adidas :). It's still holding up after a few months of probably 1000-2000 swings a month.

Just recently got some new Winn grips and don't really need a glove with those. Still like to use it in conjuction with the tour velvet on my driver though.

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5° Stock Stiff
Wood: Tour Burner TS 13° Stock Stiff
Hybrid: Tour Burner T2 18° Stock Stiff
Irons: Tour Preferred 3-PW Rifle Project X 6.0
Wedges: 54.10|58.08 Z TP Rifle Spinner 5.5 Putter: VP Mills VP2 Ball: TP/Red.LDP Bag: Warbird Hot Stand Bag 2.0Started playing...

I will never buy Footjoys again. They rip the skin off of my ring finger on the opposite hand in which I interlock with.

Tour Burner...Grafalloy Pro Launch Red
V-Steele 15 deg....Grafalloy Pro Launch Red
Rescue Burner 19 deg....Grafalloy Epic
VR Split-Backs 3-5/7-PW...DG X100
KZG RSS 52 deg.KZG RSS 56 deg.KZG RSS 60 deg. Unitized Retro ONE Black...ONE Tour

I remember laughing at my dad when he bought a few Golfsmith gloves that were on sale. I was looking at a Callaway Tour Series glove and bet him that it would last way longer than the "cheapo" Golfsmith gloves. So, my dad took the bet and bought both gloves for me. Well, it turns out he was right. I liked the way the Callaway glove felt at first, but it wore out after a few rounds. Then, my friend borrowed it and it became a sweaty piece of garbage. As for the Golfsmith glove, I still have the same one that my dad had originally bought me (5 months ago) and played through half a high school golf season with it (9 holes every day). I also use cord grips. The Golfsmith gloves seem thin, but they are incredibly durable, feel great, and are a very good price.

Wearing holes in either the palm or heel of the glove, would suggest the you either have the grip too far into your palm, or are "re-gripping" the club at some point in your swing. Using cord grips would tend to exaggerate the glove-wear from either of these idiosyncrasies. That said, Mizuno's Retro Flex seems significantly more durable (retaining its shape) than many on the market.

"The more you know...... the less you need"

I buy three new gloves around April or May and they last me for the year. I use the Footjoy Sta Soft. I used to use the cheaper gloves but the premium ones have a much better feel. I have found that if I use three and rotate each hole they tend to last longer. It gives each one a couple of holes to dry out. I sweat a bunch when it gets hot and if I only use one during a round it will be soaked after nine holes. Once the moisture gets trapped in a glove it is as good as done. I have never had a problem with holes or tears in a glove from normal use. When I get the new set, I will use the gloves from the prior year for the range and I always keep some in a Ziplock bag in case it rains and I need something dry.

I will say I probably don't play as much as some of you. If I am lucky, I will play 3-4 times a month on average from May-Sept.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

Note: This thread is 5558 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!