IGNORED

Michelle Wie gets the Top Billing--is this fair?

PEZGolf
Note: This thread is 5555 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm not biased against Gulbis, and I wasn't comparing her to Paula.

Sure you are biased; you said you considered her victory a freak accident. Yet, she has come EXACTLY as close to winning a major as Wie and MUCH closer than Paula Creamer. In fact, before she hurt her back, she had 9 straight top 20 finishes in majors, a feat matched at the time only by Ochoa and something neither Wie or Paula has never even come close to (best for Paula was 4). This is hardly the stuff of "freak accidents".

No one could argue with your ranking, but that was just a deflection from your earlier mistatement. Personally, I think Wie will make people forget both of them real soon.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Wie is a LOT more deserving of attention than Natalie Gulbis, who at this point must consider her one victory a freak accident.

I cant argue with that. As much as people talk down Wie, what have Creamer or Gulbis accomplished in their careers, other than the once in a blue moon win at a nothing little golf tourney? Ive kind of always felt that Creamer and Gulbis are more famous for their looks than for their game.

Just food for thought. I'm a Michelle Wie "fan" simply because I want to see talent reveal itself.

I agree. Wie does seem like she has grown up a lot in the past year and I wish her all the luck in the world.

I lost a lot of respect for her with all the BS that went on last year, but it seems like she is now serious about golf and want to prove herself and earn her way in, instead of playing a handful of times a year and depending on sponsor exemptions to get into tourneys. IMO, Wie is still the best chance of any American woman for competing with the Koreans.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Getting back to the original question, I don't think it's fair, but that's the way it is. As of today, looks like she's playing well enough to justify it, however.

I'm not a fan of hers. On the one hand, you could argue she has been pretty much controlled and she should be forgiven all of the "issues" that have come up. On the other hand, it's hard to explain some of the behavior she seems to have control over.

She may be the nicest kid in the world, but when I've seen her, she hasn't exactly come off as either the brightest or most savvy bulb in the closet. Too much baggage over too many years, last year the clincher.

She may win and by winning accumulate all sorts of fan support, but I'll need to see more than just W's for me to become a fan. I'm not rooting for her to win, I think she will. I'm waiting to see if there is tangible proof of change.

BTW, why in the world would the Golf Channel refer to her as the "Big Wiesey"? (I get the take off on Els, but it is hardly flattering and I hope they knock it off - mostly, I think it was the guy that looks like "Bob" from the male enhancement ads that was doing it.) Maybe if she wins she can afford the de-luxe apartment in the sky.

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
King Cobra Comp 5w (YS 5.1 Stiff)
AP1 4,5; AP2 6-P; Vokey 252 08, SM56 14, SM60 08 (Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Regular)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

• Administrator
Sure you are biased; you said you considered her victory a freak accident.

That's not "bias." That's an opinion. One backed by facts, as I'll explain now...

Yet, she has come EXACTLY as close to winning a major as Wie...

Wie Kraft Nabisco C'shipT3: 2006 LPGA Championship2nd: 2005 U.S. Women's OpenT3: 2006 Women's British OpenT3: 2006 Gulbis Kraft NabiscoT3: 2006 LPGA ChampionshipT5: 2005 U.S. Women's OpenT4: 2005 Women's British OpenT8: 2005 Not only is Michelle's best finish (second alone) better, but her average is better. They tied in one major (the same major the same year - that was the year Michelle three-putted from the fringe, wasn't it?), but Michelle's got her beat in every other one.
No one could argue with your ranking

Aren't you? I'm not deflecting. What's to deflect? I stand by what I've said at every point in this thread. I think Natalie is almost Chris DiMarco-level overrated at this point. And Chris at least won

three times.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

yes its fair.

I feel like Michelle Wie gets the Arod type deal from the media and a bunch of other people..... Ive ran into people saying she sucked and couldnt even play on the LPGA tour.

Are you kidding me? People seem to forget how amazing it was for a girl of her age to finish that well in the majors. People act as if shes a scrub and love to hate her. Typical people just yucking it up and stuff.

Whichever guy is on the 19th hole is a complete douchebag. Saying phil Mickelsons career is finished and Michelle Wie HASNT WON ANYTHING. They forget that everyone isnt Tiger and shes only 19.

Pez, this kind of stuff is getting old.

LOL. You're right of course.

hmmmm, OTOH, maybe he's just trying to raise your internet rating for you - as you say, it's all about marketing and bringing in the warm bodies .... Seriously: no, it isn't "fair". Wie is an obsession of the sports media, who think we need to know her every thought and action. If she had more sense she'd tell them to ****** off. Actually, she seems to be handling it much better - what a BORE those media people must be, day in and day out. Tiresome as hell, I would have thought.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

LOL. You're right of course.

Sadly, you are right about SOME members of the media. Let us face it---sensationalism "sells"---whether it is newspapers, magazines, hits on a website, TV ratings, etc. This is true of all sports and people in politics and entertainment as well. There are some respected journalists who are not guilty of exaggeration and seeking to overpublicize some "stars". For example, in golf, I think that Doug Ferguson of the Assoicated Press does a good job. As I have mentioned before, I have a part-time business that publishes a regional golf magazine. I have been fortunate to be approved for press credentials at the Tour Championship, various US Opens, the Women's Open, and regular stops on both the PGA and LPGA Tours. Obviously, I have to submit copies of my magazine and articles that I have personally written in order to be approved. Even though I do not make a living by doing this, I am a professional journalist since people have to pay to subscribe to it, and I do make money running the business. Because of this, I take my job seriously, especially when I have interviewed people like Payne Stewart, Dottie Pepper, Lynn Marriott, Patty Sheehan, Wayne Levi, Mike Schmidt, the Hall of Fame third baseman for the Philadephia Phillies (he was a golf pro for a while and just missed by one stroke qualifying for the Senior Open and by the same margin missed qualifying for the Champions Tour), and others. I always offer to have them read the draft of the interview before it goes to print in case I make a factual error or misunderstand something he or she has said. Here is my point: I am not afraid to be a skeptic about a player, and try to give a balanced assessment. You will never read an article by me that says a top player "choked", in the sense that he or she got so nervous that he or she blew a shot. All of us get nervous under high pressure in trying to win a match in a club tournament or even a "skins game" with our friends. Just imagine the pressure these pros feel. Do I think that some people in the media have overdone their coverage of Michelle, considering that she has never won an LPGA event? Yes. Is the reporting more balanced now? Yes. And I do feel that she handles the media much better than she did last year. That is a sign of maturity and I give her credit for that.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

Let us give credit where credit is due. Angela Stanford saw her opportunity, and took full advantage of it:

"That---Michelle's double bogey on #11---was the moment I needed to step up, because that was my chance."

No wonder she now has four career wins, and more importantly, three in her last seven starts!! So, while others have received all the publicity, Angela has been collecting the winners' trophies. What is more important?

Remember the story of "The kings New Cloths"? It is a fable which tells of how people are willing to ignore the obvious because they want to be "cool", or do not want to look foolish.

Sometimes, someone has to say something OUT LOAD in order for people to realize that they are doing something they would “normally” not do or like.

What you are describing regarding Michelle Wie has been going on for over a decade with Tiger Woods.

Tiger has not played a round of golf since the US Open, and I am still seeing Tiger "highlights" during televised golf tournaments because the "media" can't stand the fact that Tiger’s not there so they can kiss his behind!

The only reason you are noticing it now, is because the attention is not lavished all over the "chosen one", and instead is going to someone else...

USA Today said it OUT LOUD… Not pretty is it?

I guess the media is just happy to have something to write/televise about. Personally it was a bit much Wie-content, but hey.

One thing i did found a bit strange - final round, back nine, Stanford putts, misses with a 3-footer to go, marks her ball, Wie putts, misses, taps in. But instead of showing Stanfords Par putt, they show how Wie immediateley walks off the green and standing there waiting for Stanford to putt - that was strange.

Oh - and for some reason - the 3rd place finisher Na Yeon Choi (no idea who that is), being in the same group as Wie and Stanford almost got no airtime what so ever. Instead of showing more actual golf shots they did commercials/profiles and other unnecessary stuff.

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

In my opinion. Angela is right up there with Paula as the best American golfer. No doubt. She might even be ahead of Paula.

As of the present time, I feel that Angela should be ranked ahead of Paula, not just because she beat the Pink Panther by ten shots at the SBS, but because of her 3 wins in the last 7 tournaments. Sometimes, a player who does not have "star power" is overlooked until her record forces the media to wake up!

It was an amazing backnine in the last round. Angela was behind Michelle by 3 shots. The combination of Michelle's double bogey on #11 and Angela's Terrific Three birdies on #13-15 made a complete turnaround, and Angela won by 3. She demonstrated the toughness that a real Champion has on the last day. Congratulations to her!

As of the present time, I feel that Angela should be ranked ahead of Paula, not just because she beat the Pink Panther by ten shots at the SBS, but because of her 3 wins in the last 7 tournaments. Sometimes, a player who does not have "star power" is overlooked until her record forces the media to wake up!

Yeah, and not to mention she doesn't yell and groan after every bad shot she hits, unlike Ms. Creamer.

Yes it's fair...She is a phenom, and still doing quite well with all the bs that she has had to wade through. If she was mentally tougher...she would be the Tiger of the LPGA. Maybe she just aint smart??????

I have had quite enough of the Paula and Natalie show....and the LPGA really.....boring.

I hope Wie can dominate, if she remembers to sign all her scorecards she just might.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

The whole lpga is a joke anyways.

A bunch of spoiled little daddies girls in mini skirts. Maybe a handful of them shoot "low" and 95% of the field can't even break 80.

A complete joke.

Michelle Wie has the talent, but she is so used to having everything handed to her so she has 0 mental toughness and self discipline. I doubt she even practices.

Golf is a game in which the ball always lies poorly and the player always lies well.

I guess the media is just happy to have something to write/televise about. Personally it was a bit much Wie-content, but hey.

I have not reviewed all my tape of the final round, so I have not seen what you describe. Good observations and no surprise to me. In the headline for this thread, I used the word "fair", and this is exactly what I mean. The media will always be enthralled with "star power" and Paula Creamer and Michelle Wie will always garner more publicity than Angela Stanford, even though Angela was better than either of the stars at the SBS--not a little better, but much better. It is "part of life" that Angela will not get the same exposure, but that does not mean that I can just sit here and accept it. In editiorials in my magazine and on this golf forum, I can complain, and complain, and complain, while realizing that the media will not change.

The whole lpga is a joke anyways.

I will not respond to your comments about Michelle, since I am sure others will be doing that, in full force. However, I would like to make these three responses:

1. Players like Paula, Natalie, Cristie, and Lorena work hard and practice long hours. They are NOT spoiled "little daddy's girls in mini skirts". And I do not say this simply based on articles in magazines or segments on TV. Instead, I base this on personal observation and direct questioning. Annika set the example, and the young gals have followed the "path to success" that the Splendid Swede laid out. 2. It is not new for the gals to practice and work hard. Dottie Pepper, Juli Inkster, Beth Daniel, Patty Sheehan, and Betsy King did that in order to achieve the success they earned. All are Hall of Famers, except Dottie, who should be, since her career was cut short by a shoulder injury (2 points away from qualifying for the Hall of Fame). I watched as Dottie and the others would head to the practice range after a good round to "keep up the rhythm" or work on a particular aspect of their games that needed some improvement. Each of these top players was a real competitor and it showed in how hard each worked. 3. I do not mind if someone chooses to not watch the LPGA. It is a free country and consumers can choose the product they want. However, I do mind it if someone makes that decision based on misinformation. Trust me, I have a great deal of respect for these gals as excellent golfers, whose swings, games, and work ethic can be copied by an "average golfer" like me, and should be. If some people want to watch the guys "bust" a 350 yard drive, fine. If the same people want to go to their course and try to emulate that, good luck, and I hope you do not hurt yourself. I know this, as a golf instructor for over 20 years, the average golfer, including me, is better off copying Paula or Angela than JB, Tiger, or any of the "long ball busters" on the PGA Tour. Plus, the women are more friendly and fun to talk to. To the men, it is all a serious business, but to the women, fans are important and they understand all too well the importance of fan relations to the popularity of the game.

• Administrator
I will not respond to your comments about Michelle, since I am sure others will be doing that, in full force.

I think the rest of us are smart enough not to feed the trolls, actually, PEZ.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5555 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!