Sign in to follow this  
BigDaddy_Sean

Hi, new member .. question on amateur tours

Note: This thread is 5192 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

11 posts / 1377 viewsLast Reply

Hi all ..

Me. I'm a 30 yr old former high school and college player .. then went to work in the corporate sector, got married, had kids .. didn't do much in the game last 4 or 5 years, only played maybe 10 rounds a year but still seem to play pretty well.

Played with a fellow about a month ago who was part of the Amateur golf tour ( www.amateurgolftour.net ) .. Seems very interesting to me .. 10 rounds, every other Saturday, on real good courses .. flighted, points, doesn't cost much .. gonna try it out. - Don't worry, I'm not a promoter for this thing if that's what yer thinking, just actually have questions on it!

Getting itchy to play competitive golf again, there never was a lot of amateur stuff in Michigan except for the normal big qualifiers, and maybe local county tourneys, etc.

Anyway, wondering if any of you knew anything about this tour? Seems pretty reasonable to me :)

I just checked it out and it looks pretty cool. I just shot the guy an e-mail for more info. I would have a hard time making it to all of the events with my other obbligations, but I might try to play in a few to get the juices flowing. I printed out the app. for the Michigan Net Am and I will be sending it in soon. I have never played in a tournament before, but I have played basketball at the college level and I still play in a league in the winter. This would give me somthing other than my Wednesday couples league to keep the compettetive fire going.

cool! Maybe I'll see ya there. Nice thing about this tournament is you pay for the tourneys you play so if ya miss a few you aren't out the money, only point standings.

Also I've found out each flight only has about 10 people in it so far, so even though it's relatively competitive, still pretty small and rounds shouldn't take 6 hours!

That does look like it might be fun. The only problem I've had in the past with flighted handicap tourneys has been the infernal sandbaggers: when you put up a few bucks in prize money this could only get worse. Definitely let us know how it goes.

On a related subject, the "PGA Tour Partners Club" hosts a series of 10 one-day tournaments at TPC courses around the U.S. I've signed up for the one in September at the TPC Southwind (Memphis). Does anyone have any experience with this series? I'm curious as to what exactly I've gotten myself into. At the absolute worst, it's a chance to play a course I'd probably never be able to get invited to otherwise, so that should be worth something...

That does look like it might be fun. The only problem I've had in the past with flighted handicap tourneys has been the infernal sandbaggers: when you put up a few bucks in prize money this could only get worse. Definitely let us know how it goes.

I think all the TPC courses are open to the public. I've played TPC Sawgrass without an invitation. Just call up and get a tee time.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think all the TPC courses are open to the public. I've played TPC Sawgrass without an invitation. Just call up and get a tee time.

Some TPCs are Private. Here in the DC area, TPC of Avenel is private, and down south, TPC Sugarloaf is a private club as well. I believe there are others...

Some TPCs are Private. Here in the DC area, TPC of Avenel is private, and down south, TPC Sugarloaf is a private club as well. I believe there are others...

In fact, most of the TPC courses are private. 15 private to 10 public to be exact. Not to mention EXPENSIVE!

Here is the TPC course network website .

In fact, most of the TPC courses are private. 15 private to 10 public to be exact. Not to mention EXPENSIVE!

Hard to imagine...I (along with Erik) thought that all of them were public. The only one I've played so far is Wakefield Plantation over in Raleigh. Not a bad course, but I wouldn't pay what they ask. Luckily, I got on it for free...

Hard to imagine...I (along with Erik) thought that all of them were public. The only one I've played so far is Wakefield Plantation over in Raleigh. Not a bad course, but I wouldn't pay what they ask. Luckily, I got on it for free...

I checked out the course last year when we were thinking about moving down to Raleigh. Naturally, I was drawn to the housing developments near a TPC course. Looking at it though, it just didn't seem TPC-ish enough. Looked like any other golf course community to me. I actually thought that the Thistle development down south had a better vibe. (Problem was, there are NO jobs for us down there.)

Note: This thread is 5192 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!