IGNORED

titleist volkey vs. cg14

bergeRR
Note: This thread is 5488 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Stuck on which one, had a "bad outing" with the pure spins and have given up on them. Anyone got input on this. Im new and would appreciate some good opinoins.

In the Slingshot Tour
SUMO 5900 10.5
SUMO2 3 wood
Slingshot 4d 5-PW, AW
purespin: diamond face 56, 60 marxman malletballs-

I like the volkey better in terms of performance, but the Cleveland wedges are much easier to hit as they don't grab as much. The volkeys took awhile to get used to. depending on how much you play or practice i would recommend the Clevelands if you can't spend hours on the chipping green.

In the bag:

Driver: 909D3 9.5* UST PROFORCE V2 65 Stiff
Woods: :909F2 15.5* Matrix Ozik Stiff
Hybrid: idea A7Irons: Mp 62 4-Pw DG S400Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52, 56, 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2

I like the volkey better in terms of performance, but the Cleveland wedges are much easier to hit as they don't grab as much. The volkeys took awhile to get used to. depending on how much you play or practice i would recommend the Clevelands if you can't spend hours on the chipping green.

So, would you rate the Volkey better over all? I was about to start a thread asking which you guys thought were better. I have always had Cleveland Wedges in the past and was thinking about giving the titleists a try. If they perform better, then I can get used to hitting them.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The vokeys are what they are, just solid no-frills wedges. They're not designed to help you in any way. You'll only get out of a vokey what you put into it. If your stuck between the two i would just concentrate on the feel of the head has you make some half swings and see which one fits your tempo or touch better.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Im def leaning towards the CG14, they seem easier to swing, easier to hit, and more forviging. Damn things are just money, more than my driver to replace 3 wedges. I def am gonna need to adopt a kid next year to claim on my taxes.

In the Slingshot Tour
SUMO 5900 10.5
SUMO2 3 wood
Slingshot 4d 5-PW, AW

Im def leaning towards the CG14, they seem easier to swing, easier to hit, and more forviging. Damn things are just money, more than my driver to replace 3 wedges. I def am gonna need to adopt a kid next year to claim on my taxes.

Yeah, they are high but are they any higher than the Titleist? They are having a sale on them at my local golf course and I can get them for 90 but that is about as cheap as I can get them around here.

Bryan A

For the average golfer I think just about any model of Cleveland wedges are better than the Titleist wedges. Vokeys are good clubs (I own 1), but they are harder to hit in my opinion. I have owned several models of Cleveland wedges and have always been impressed. The Nike wedges also seem nice and like they would be easier to hit than Vokeys. They're good enough for Tiger...

Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

Stuck on which one, had a "bad outing" with the pure spins and have given up on them. Anyone got input on this. Im new and would appreciate some good opinoins.

So, would you rate the Volkey better over all? I was about to start a thread asking which you guys thought were better. I have always had Cleveland Wedges in the past and was thinking about giving the titleists a try. If they perform better, then I can get used to hitting them.

They are called VOKEYS. I would go w/ the titleist.

In My Hank Haney IJGA Bag
Driver: FT Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila Voodoo Stiff
3 Wood: i15 15.5 w/ avixcore red stiff
Hybrids: Rescue 09 19, 22 w/ fujikara fit on stiff
Irons: 4 & 5 MP-52, 6-PW MP-58 w/ KBS Tour Stiff Wedges: MP T-10 52*, 58* w/ KBS Tour StiifPutter: Fastback 1 34 inBall: : Pro...

I apologize that my spell check hasn't been set to pick up the names of the sweetest wedge designers in the game. I will refrain from using volkey from now on and VOKEY will be used.

In the bag:

Driver: 909D3 9.5* UST PROFORCE V2 65 Stiff
Woods: :909F2 15.5* Matrix Ozik Stiff
Hybrid: idea A7Irons: Mp 62 4-Pw DG S400Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52, 56, 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2

IMHO regarding wedges...

In the past: Cleveland...

NOW: Vokey
Driver
909D2 9.5º w/ Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum Stiff

Woods
909F2 13.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway Stiff 909F2 18.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway StiffIrons MP60 3-PW w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Sensicore S300Wedges Vokey Design 200 Series Tour Chrome 52-08 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S200...

I demoed both the Vokey and CG14. I ended up with the Vokey because it hit it alot better. No doubt the cg14 is a great wedge but i still say the vokey.

In my Xtreme Sport bag
'09 Burner 9.5*
F50 15* 3 Wood
Burner 18* 5 Wood
MX-19 4-GW SV Tour 54.12 & 58.08 White Hot 2-Ball SRT

Are they really that much harder to hit? I was talking to the assistant pro at my course yesterday, and he says that he likes Cleveland hands down. He says that he has never been able to hit the Titleist wedges. I think I am going to try them out since I now need a 60.

Bryan A

ease of hit is definately a big issue for me since i suck, but i also want a wedge that is going to take me further into my game, navy pays sh!t so im prob gonna have these wedges for a while, does that change anyones opinion?

In the Slingshot Tour
SUMO 5900 10.5
SUMO2 3 wood
Slingshot 4d 5-PW, AW

ease of hit is definately a big issue for me since i suck, but i also want a wedge that is going to take me further into my game, navy pays sh!t so im prob gonna have these wedges for a while, does that change anyones opinion?

A wedge is almost like a putter - different people like different clubs. A Vokey is not as easy to hit as some other wedges (Cleveland included), but the difference is not huge from a technical perspective - they just feel different. You could buy wedges from any of the major manufacturers and probably be fine for a while with them. I don't think Clevelands are going to 'hold you back' from getting better (and neither would Nike, Taylor Made, Callaway, etc.)

One other issue not mentioned before that might factor in is 'wear'. Vokey's tend to wear much quicker than most of the wedges from other companies. Most people will agree they possess more 'bite' when new, but because of the soft metal used they wear more quickly.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

thanks for all the help guys, i think im going to go with the CG14, now i just gotta figure out which ones. Once again thanks for the help

In the Slingshot Tour
SUMO 5900 10.5
SUMO2 3 wood
Slingshot 4d 5-PW, AW

A wedge is almost like a putter - different people like different clubs. A Vokey is not as easy to hit as some other wedges (Cleveland included), but the difference is not huge from a technical perspective - they just feel different. You could buy wedges from any of the major manufacturers and probably be fine for a while with them. I don't think Clevelands are going to 'hold you back' from getting better (and neither would Nike, Taylor Made, Callaway, etc.)

This would be the reason for me not to buy one...but we will see. Good info here

Bryan A

Note: This thread is 5488 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!