IGNORED

Are you really good enough to play your equipment

Note: This thread is 5530 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

With solid fundementals you should be able to play and style of clubhead that you want.

There's a ton of wisdom in that statement. If people spent more time worrying about the fundamentals, instead of worrying about which irons they should play... they wouldn't have to worry about what irons they should play.

Cheers, Allan

In my Ping Hoofer II bag: Titleist 975J | Callaway Big Bertha 3 Wood S2H2 | Mizuno Fli-Hi 18˚ Hybrid | Mizuno MP-33 3-PW | Cleveland Tour Action 900 54/60 | Ping Anser II BeCu | Titleist ProV1

My Playground: Northview G&CC

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a ton of wisdom in that statement. If people spent more time worrying about the fundamentals, instead of worrying about which irons they should play... they wouldn't have to worry about what irons they should play.

Could not have said it better myself.

Over the winter I focused on a simpler, more fundamentally sound swing that has allowed me to move to blades.

Driver: Nike Covert Driver

Irons: Mizuno JPX-825 Pro 5-GW 

Cleveland Mashie 1, 2, 3, & 4 hybrids

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T4 Black Nickel 54* & 58*

Putter: Wack-e with super stroke grip

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X

Spoken like someone with a long way to go in life.... At least wait until you're 20 before giving out such sage advice. I'm 62 and I've been playing more or less serious golf for more than 30 years.... are you trying to tell me that you know more about my game than I do? That's rich....

Fourputt, ask yourself these questions: How do you know how old i am? Was my comment directed to you? and are you a 20 handicap? What i am saying doesn't really apply to you, i was only giving my opinion on what i believe is rightfor a 20 handicapper. Sure your an 11 handicap, and you play the ap2 irons. That sounds like a right choice in terms of irons. But would it be smart for a person who never played golf to go out and buy some titleist zm's?...no. I am saying that its not in good intrest to play blades when you are just starting to pick up the game, and are having trouble keeping it in the double digit scores....and i hope you would agree.

Also, the age comment should have nothing to do with this. Yes, i am 16, but i know more about golf than everyone at my local pro shop...and probably know more about golf than you do.

I play Hogan Apex Irons, they are certainly not forgiving and are designed for scratch and tour pros. Although I am a 2, my ball striking is definitely not the problem, I could get away with playing something a little more forgiving like an AP2 or a Tour Preferred TM, but the shot it might save me per few rounds, would not be worth the loss in workability. Just my two cents of course.

Fourputt, ask yourself these questions: How do you know how old i am? Was my comment directed to you? and are you a 20 handicap? What i am saying doesn't really apply to you, i was only giving my opinion on what i believe is rightfor a 20 handicapper. Sure your an 11 handicap, and you play the ap2 irons. That sounds like a right choice in terms of irons. But would it be smart for a person who never played golf to go out and buy some titleist zm's?...no. I am saying that its not in good intrest to play blades when you are just starting to pick up the game, and are having trouble keeping it in the double digit scores....and i hope you would agree.

First I know your age bracket from your profile.

Next a little history. When I first took up the game in the mid 70's, there was only one kind of iron available, forged blades. And real wooden woods. And no gap wedges or lob wedges. I started as a complete novice with a set of Golden Ram clubs I bought bought in 1976. I didn't own a cavity back iron or a sand wedge until 1989. So don't say that you can't learn the game with blades. It may be harder, take more perseverance, but it's far from impossible. I was a lot worse than a 20 when I first started using those clubs, but I was a 16 cap when I finally changed for some up to date MacGregor cast manganese bronze cavity back irons, with a SW. It took me 3 years when I finally got serious about golf to go from a handicap that was off the scale to a 16, playing all that time with forged blades. I did buy a TM metal driver in 1987, my only GI club at the time. Now you know where I'm coming from and why I said what I did earlier. But I still have no idea how you think you know more about the game than I do. Your handicap is a couple of points lower than mine, but that's all I see that might make you think that. Handicaps are funny things... I know lots of guys who've played for a long time with lower caps than yours, yet their basic knowledge of the game is no better than mine, and in some ways it's far less. I am more knowledgeable about the rules than many of the club pros I know, but I'm not an expert on swing technique, and I would never presume to try and teach anyone but a rank beginner how to swing a club. I understand the game's fundamentals and how it's meant to be played, and I approach it that way. Mostly I think it's supposed to be fun, and if it's fun for a 20 handicap to play with forged blades, then I'll let him have at it, however inappropriate it may seem. Maybe he's like me and in a couple of years he'll be playing better than bogey golf with those blades and laughing back at all the doubters.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So how many of you play equipment that is designed for players who shoot lowers scores than you do? How did you justify your purchase? Do you ever wish you had more forgiving equipment?

I hadnt looked at my golfbag for 5 months now. I have these MP67s which made my days so miserable sometimes. I bought them 3 months after i started golf and ever since played with them - see, you dont need to be a single hcp´er to play them. BUT i wanted to make my life easier this year, so i wanted to buy MP-52 - then i looked at my bag, and ohh they look so sweet (which was the only reason i bought them back then). So now, i´m not even sure if i´m gonna replace them

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

First I know your age bracket from your profile.

Fourputt, you make some very good points. My dad is around your age, and he too took up the game when all they had were blades for irons. However it is 2009. What i was saying in my original post is that it is much smarter to take advantage of the technology we have now. I think that the new technology is alot more beneficial for players that are just starting and struggling. Yes it is harder to start learning with blades, but i never said it was impossible.

Never mind...

But on another note, has anyone tried to force themselves into a blade-like club and given up to go back to GI?
Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

I'll be playing these this season and I am going into this year knowing that I will struggle at first.

Yeah baby! Apex.

I've had two sets of irons my whole life. Hogan Apex PC's...took them down to a 2 senior year in high school. Put the sticks away for 13 years and 3 years ago I started playing again with Hogan Apex ftx's. I love these clubs. Personally, I first pick what looks good to me and makes me feel like I'm going to hit the ball well. I've never ever liked the look (or feel) of an offset iron. Then I try them out and get fitted, seems to work. I'm no +4 but I'm no slouch either and seem to be improving every year. lately I'm starting to like the callaway forged...wonder what kind of handicap I need to play those?

I'll be playing these this season and I am going into this year knowing that I will struggle at first.

wow those are gorgeous!!! i just saw a brand new set of those at my local shop today for $199!!! Brand Spanking New!!! I was soooo tempted to buy them. they are beautiful irons! (btw, yours look new too)

I have been playing old equipment for a while. I finally pulled the trigger and went and got fitted at a fitting facility, not a retail store that does fitting. In my mind I had several things I wanted to try and had demoed along the way at various places, most of which was players or close to players irons. But ultimately I swallowed my pride and went with a set that is considered game improvement but on the trackman my results were so good that I couldn't deny them. Long term will be the true test but I think it was a good choice for me. I'm not getting any younger and my swing is probably not going to get much better. My back is tell me that. So I no longer care what's the latest and greatest or what my handicap dictates I should use. I'm going with what works and I'm going to enjoy this game. (Besides, my son got some new equipment I can always sneak off with his stuff........Ha!)

Some days yes, some days no...

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

Not right now since I just started last year again. I'm practicing like hell to get there though. I also am much happier with these MP30s already over the Nike Ignites I had before. They are good enough I guess, but the super wide sole and thick topline made me lose all confidence at striking the ball well.

In my bag:
Driver: HiBore XLS (9.5*, stiff, gold shaft)
Irons: FP II 4-GW
Wedges: mp R series 56/13 588DSG 60*
Putter: Unitized TiempoBag: ADIDAS Velocity

Yes, yes I am.
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

I am. I'm at least in the vicinity. Actually, the first time I bought a set of irons, I picked my clubs about a notch above my current playing level then.

I was about a 12 handicap when I bought my DCI 990's, and in a year or so I was down to a 3. I always appreciated the clubs when I started playing better and striking the ball better, I was able to put a lot more types of shots in my bag.

If I had done the opposite and bought clubs a notch below my playing level, I may have been more consistent from the get-go and my bad days starting off might not have been as bad, but I would have been frustrated when I wanted to learn the benefits of working the ball and controlling my trajectory.
Penta TP Ball || Nakashima Golf HTEC Tour Driver - w/ Mitsubishi Rayon Bassara 83g || Izett Golf 15* Deep Face 3-Wood - w/ Royal Precision Rifle Steel || MD 18* Hybrid - w/ Aerotech SteelFiber 110g || MP-58 3, 4 Irons... MP-60 5, 6 Irons... MP-32 7-PW - w/ Dynamic Gold || MP-T 53-08...

I would say that I am good enough for my equipment. I have played the best golf of my life with my current irons, and I am always looking for a new driver. I have been working hard on my short game which I know has contributed to me playing well, but I think my game is good enough for my equipment.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

I was about a 12 handicap when I bought my DCI 990's, and in a year or so I was down to a 3. I always appreciated the clubs when I started playing better and striking the ball better, I was able to put a lot more types of shots in my bag.

Those are classic irons, they should last you a long time... BTW... really like your driver

But I see you're looking at the Mizuno's... which ones?

Cheers, Allan

In my Ping Hoofer II bag: Titleist 975J | Callaway Big Bertha 3 Wood S2H2 | Mizuno Fli-Hi 18˚ Hybrid | Mizuno MP-33 3-PW | Cleveland Tour Action 900 54/60 | Ping Anser II BeCu | Titleist ProV1

My Playground: Northview G&CC

Those are classic irons, they should last you a long time... BTW... really like your driver

I'm the goofball that's trying to decide how to split a set of Mizzy's between the MP60's and MP32's. Definitely enjoyed my time with the 990's. Always gave me a pleasant "click" with every well struck shot and a lot of options as far as shot workability. My goal this season (after taking about 3 years off from the game until last year) is to get back down to a 3 handicap, so I'm upgrading my clubs hoping to help me along the way. And if not, at least I'll look good! Haha. It's tough to find us stragglers who still play the 975J. Are you still enjoying yours? I've been tempted to pick up something new. Buying into the technology hype a little, I guess.
Penta TP Ball || Nakashima Golf HTEC Tour Driver - w/ Mitsubishi Rayon Bassara 83g || Izett Golf 15* Deep Face 3-Wood - w/ Royal Precision Rifle Steel || MD 18* Hybrid - w/ Aerotech SteelFiber 110g || MP-58 3, 4 Irons... MP-60 5, 6 Irons... MP-32 7-PW - w/ Dynamic Gold || MP-T 53-08...

Note: This thread is 5530 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!