IGNORED

Geoff Ogilvy - Way to hyped

Bluenoser67
Note: This thread is 5521 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think some of the constant hype during the match play came from the Johnny Miller effect. Once Johnny decides that he likes a player, there will be hype about that player for the rest of the tournament.

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

To be honest, I never felt like NBC (Johny Miller or otherwise) tried to present Ogilvy as anything that he wasn't. Geoff has always been a solid player who has improved with each year on tour. Although the fickle match-play format has provided two of his wins, there is no denying that the guy has prevailed in some big tourneys.

Although his U.S. Open win will always be remembered for Phil's biggest flop (to date anyway), we must remember that he shot the winning score. Had Ogilvy been leading and Phil was the one to chip in at the 17th and win, we would remember that year as one of Phil's biggest breakthroughs, not an Ogilvy flop.

Either way, I think we all can agree that Ogilvy is not the next big thing. He is however an extremely solid player who will fare well on almost any course that demands long, high, and straight shots. When Ogilvy hits his groove, he can contend with anyone, but there are certainly a lot of players out there right now that can make that claim.
Damn you people, this is golf!

I've always liked Ogilvy and I'm glad he's getting some attention. His swing is so smooth and effortless its just awesome to watch. I like how he's almost always expressionless and nothing seems to phase him. One of my favorite players.

- Tour Issue Taylormade R7 Superquad TP Matrix Ozik Xcon 5 X-stiff
- Nike Dymo 3 Wood UST Axivcore Stiff
- Nike Dymo 5 Wood UST Axivcore Stiff- Nike Blades 3-PW S300- Nike SV Tour 50* 54* 58* S400- Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Beach- Nike Tour D

The guy's under-rated IMO. Great player with a bright future.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Geoff Ogilvy's done everything that Adam Scott hasn't.
I can't say I'm a massive fan of his but you can't argue with his results and the way he plays - he was like a putting machine on Sunday.

Plus, this is how good is he: he needed to bring his 'A-game' to take out McIlroy.

TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I think some of the constant hype during the match play came from the Johnny Miller effect. Once Johnny decides that he likes a player, there will be hype about that player for the rest of the tournament.

Miller loves Ogilvy because they have similar swings. In Miller's younger years he had a dramatic reverse C and dancing feet, just like Ogilvy.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

I agree he should get more hype. The guy is young and has quite a few wins including a major. He's won a lot more than Camillo, Luke Donald, Charles Howell III, and these guys get more press than he does.

I think Ogilvy gets a couple more majors over his career.

Either way, I think we all can agree that Ogilvy is not the next big thing. He is however an extremely solid player who will fare well on almost any course that demands long, high, and straight shots. When Ogilvy hits his groove, he can contend with anyone, but there are certainly a lot of players out there right now that can make that claim.

I disagree. He is more than extremely solid, and can be an incredible putter, with a great short game.

I think he will win more majors, and the confidence he is gaining by winning the two high quality events he has won this year is going to make his play more consistent. Listened to part of an interview he gave Sunday after the tournament and this is a guy who is confident, is believing he is one of the best players in the world and you can tell he wants to be recognized for that. He's not the next big thing, he is the big thing right now. Who knows how he will fare at Augusta, but I put him as the favorite right now.

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
King Cobra Comp 5w (YS 5.1 Stiff)
AP1 4,5; AP2 6-P; Vokey 252 08, SM56 14, SM60 08 (Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Regular)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

Man to watch NBC's coverage you would have thought that Geoff Ogilvy was the second coming of Old Tom Morris or Harry Vardon. First off lets get the Match Play wins out of the way. The first one he had the good fortune of taking the path of least resistance (which often identifies the winner in these tournaments - not necessarily the best golfer) In his win he faced elimination 10times with his playing partners having putts to win there matches (but they all choked). 4 of the 6 wins have been in the limited field events (Mercedez and 3 WGC) His US Open he wasnt even being mentioned until he chipped in on the 17th and watched Paddy, Monty and Phil gag there way through the 18th.

With Tiger out for the weekend, I think that the announcers were trying to "make something" out of the 36 hole Final. However, the quotes in the newspapers by other Tour players make it clear that they have a lot of respect for Geoff.

Speaking of media hype, anyone read the column by Phil Mushnnick in the "New York Post" on Sunday entitled "Tiger Trap"? He took the media to task for over hyping Tiger's return and setting up everyone for a bad letdown. Let us face it, Tiger is extremely popular, and Dottie Pepper is correct that when he is in contention "casual fans" will tune in. However, there is such a thing as overdoing it, and ignoring the other Tour players who are out there. I may not agree with everything that Mushnick wrote, but his column is "food for thought".

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

I disagree. He is more than extremely solid, and can be an incredible putter, with a great short game.

Extremely solid, really solid, super-solid ... to what degree would one rate Tiger? My point was that he is one of the better players in the world, but there are many of them at this time. In my personal opinion, Geoff is like a Vijay. Vijay is an extremely solid player who can contend with anyone, but will not be the dominant force as compared to a Tiger Woods. Geoff may win 3 tournaments or maybe even 4 this year, but I believe for him to be considered even on Phil's level, he will have to do this for 3 to four years in a row. So again- Geoff is an extremely solid player, at least a top 20 world player at any given time, but more than that? Not yet he's not.

I think he will win more majors, ...

I think he has another major or two in him. He's shown that he can contend at U.S Opens, the Masters, and PGA's. I'm not sure about his Open records, but with a game like his, as I've stated, he can contend with anyone.

... and the confidence he is gaining by winning the two high quality events he has won this year is going to make his play more consistent. Listened to part of an interview he gave Sunday after the tournament and this is a guy who is confident, is believing he is one of the best players in the world and you can tell he wants to be recognized for that.

Well, I agree that his performance at the Accenture will only add to the guy's confidence. However, after his first win, Ogilvy stated that he knew he would come through and when he finally did, the wins would rain. He was already confident in his game, but he had two things happen to him that not many (if anyone) else can claim. He defeated today's two most popular players in hi-stakes endings. Of course we all remember the Winged Foot chip-in to win. And of course we all remember Ogilvy Failing to fade when he snapped Tiger's winning streak at the WGC. I believe that one tournament in itself (along with the title of major winner) gave Geoff an ego boost that will last a career.

-----------

And to whoever said something about Adam Scott. I agree. Scott is a solid player (obviously anyone who has carried a PGA Tour card for more than a few years is solid, lol) but is no where in Ogilvy's league right now. How Scott was ranked 3rd for as long as he was is amazing to me.

And to whoever said something about Adam Scott. I agree. Scott is a solid player (obviously anyone who has carried a PGA Tour card for more than a few years is solid, lol) but is no where in Ogilvy's league right now. How Scott was ranked 3rd for as long as he was is amazing to me.

Anyone remember Scott's really long putt to win the Byron Nelson? That was sick! I just hope he can win more now, he still is only 28.

Yeah, that was a good one indeed.

Anyone remember Harrington's eagle putt from off the green to win ... I think it was like the Nissan or something, his first or second PGA victory. Now that was sick, lol.

"Bone" -- he is at present a better player than Mickelson, and will continue to be so. And, is at the moment the only player who would appear to have the game to give El Tigre a run for his money head to head.

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
King Cobra Comp 5w (YS 5.1 Stiff)
AP1 4,5; AP2 6-P; Vokey 252 08, SM56 14, SM60 08 (Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Regular)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

Miller loves Ogilvy because they have similar swings. In Miller's younger years he had a dramatic reverse C and dancing feet, just like Ogilvy.

Very true. Johnny tends to grow fond of players that he can relate to (then again don't we all

). But honestly, I think Ogilvy deserves every last bit of hype he gets, he has a very sound game.

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

Flanagan, lol that is certainly laughable.

Now, I must admit that I am a Phil fan, and for that I am biased.

If we are speaking "at the moment" then is Tim Clark a better player than Tiger?

We could argue those points all day. However, Phil, while certainly not on a level of Tiger, is a step above the other boys. He has CONSISTENTLY won at least a couple tournaments each year, and at least one consisting the best fields in golf.

Again, Geoff, while an exxxxtremely sound player, has not risen to this stature as of yet. I compared him earlier to Singh. I believe that he is of that streaky goodness, but he really hasn't even lickened himself to Vijay as of yet as far as what he has done.

I'm not speaking potential, Flanagan. I'm speaking productivity.

On a side note, I'd like to say, hi to eveyone here. I absolutely love discussing the tour, and golf in general. I've been active in a couple of other forums that really are a bit on the slow side, and was quite pleased to find one as active as thesandtrap.com is. I hope that I can be a welcome addition to your discussions.

he is never going to be better than Tiger, but come on he already won twice on Tour in convincing fashion and he also won over seas. His game is back on track, and he is a force to be reckon with.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Anyone remember Scott's really long putt to win the Byron Nelson? That was sick! I just hope he can win more now, he still is only 28.

I know Ryan Moore remembers it.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Note: This thread is 5521 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!