IGNORED

Light's Out for the rest of the NHL

Bryan72
Note: This thread is 5411 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yeah, let's skew the numbers by counting the Cups they won when there were six teams in the league.

Haha yeah it does.

Yeah ill admit the better team did win this year. All in all great season for both teams and amazing series. Would be awesome to see both teams again next year. Time will tell.

In my Xtreme Sport bag
'09 Burner 9.5*
F50 15* 3 Wood
Burner 18* 5 Wood
MX-19 4-GW SV Tour 54.12 & 58.08 White Hot 2-Ball SRT

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Still, props for showing up in this thread. I'm still waiting for Big_M's post. He appears to have pulled a Hossa and disappeared.

hey now... I have been trying to catch up at work after watching so much hockey... and I'm trying to shake this damn cold. Also... I have to wear a Pittsburgh hat to work one day next week

I have to give due credit to the Pens... they played a great game 6 and 7. It was real interesting in the last few minutes of both games and Flower was clutch. I guess it was just the Pens turn this year, maybe we can have a tie-breaker next year. Anyway... enjoy the celebration in Pittsburgh you turds!
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

A great series, congrats to the Pen's (and their fans of course).

Still hurt's a little as I am a Cap's fan, but have only been a fan of Hockey for a few years now.

I guess living an hour East of Erie and a couple hours South of Buffalo (Jamestown, NY) for a few years when I was in High School didn't rub off on me back then, but then again I moved there from Houston, so Hockey wasn't to popular.

Gus
---------------

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Also... I have to wear a Pittsburgh hat to work one day next week

Pictures! Pictures!

Thanks. Good series and perhaps we'll meet again soon.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just need to chime in and say that I was sooo glad to see the pens win the cup since I am a longtime Blues fan and therefore can't stand to see the wings win another one. :P

In my offbrand bag....

2009 Burner Driver
2007 Burner 3-wood
2009 Burner Rescue 4-Hybrid X-20 Irons 4-PW X-forged gap wedge 52.12* CG14 Black Pearl 56.14* and 60.14* wedges White Hot Dual Rossie Putter e6+ balls

Just need to chime in and say that I was sooo glad to see the pens win the cup since I am a longtime Blues fan and therefore can't stand to see the wings win another one. :P

yeah... I'm sure you guys will win a cup someday... or at the very least get back into the playoffs. Of course I would bet the Wings will win another one before the Blues get their act together.

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

• Administrator
yeah... I'm sure you guys will win a cup someday... or at the very least get back into the playoffs. Of course I would bet the Wings will win another one before the Blues get their act together.

You don't think the Blues will get their act together in the next century? Wow, that's harsh.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Have you been following the blues youth movement at all? They are just as exciting if not more so than chicago in terms of young talent coming into the league. I am pretty confident that this management team will win a cup in the next 5-10 years if they can keep a significant amount of the talent they bring into the league playing for the blues. Will they do it before the wings win another one? Thats hard to say since the wings are still a dominant team and will probably compete for the cup for years to come.

In my offbrand bag....

2009 Burner Driver
2007 Burner 3-wood
2009 Burner Rescue 4-Hybrid X-20 Irons 4-PW X-forged gap wedge 52.12* CG14 Black Pearl 56.14* and 60.14* wedges White Hot Dual Rossie Putter e6+ balls

.....since the wings are still a dominant team and will probably compete for the cup for years to come.

Maybe. We've been getting a little long in the tooth and at some point a rebuild will have to happen and as you pointed out it takes time.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

Have you been following the blues youth movement at all? They are just as exciting if not more so than chicago in terms of young talent coming into the league. I am pretty confident that this management team will win a cup in the next 5-10 years if they can keep a significant amount of the talent they bring into the league playing for the blues. Will they do it before the wings win another one? Thats hard to say since the wings are still a dominant team and will probably compete for the cup for years to come.

1) I was mostly jerking you around since you dislike the Wings and gave them a little shot.

2) Chicago is definately more exciting at the current. 3) There's a lot more to winning a cup than having a young talent pool, you have to be able to keep them around. As to te other poster who said the Wings might be getting long in the tooth. There ia actually a nice semi-young core on the Wings. Zetterburg and Datsyuk both are fairly young as is Hudler, Kronwall, Lebda, Franzen, Helm, and many others... and Detroit has always been great at getting good young players and developing them despite not having good draft picks... so I doubt they will be in decline anytime soon, but sure eventually every team needs a rebuild. The one thing that impresses me most about the Wings is how they have stayed strong for nearly 15 years now, despite the salary cap and loss of key players to retirement and otherwise. I am sure it won't last forever, but I wouldn't say they are getting long in the tooth just yet.

1) I was mostly jerking you around since you dislike the Wings and gave them a little shot.

Do the math, we've got the oldest team (average) by about 3 years and more of that great experience will retire someday. Every team goes through it eventually. Interesting read

here .

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

Do the math, we've got the oldest team (average) by about 3 years and more of that great experience will retire someday. Every team goes through it eventually. Interesting read

I don't put a lot of stock into the "average age" view. Chelios skews the average by a few years alone. Bottom line... the people who are nearing retirement aren't the Wing's key players. The oldest player of REAL significance that will be lost eventually is Lindstrom, and he is still rather effective. Contracts and other problems are more of an issue for the Wings than age, and as I said previously, the core of the team is quite young, and many have long term contracts, so the outllook for the next few years is not rebuilding, but rather continued playoff runs.

Also... if you think back to 97', 98', and 02'... the Wings were looking older than ever there, they really didn't have much of a rebuild stage because they have been so good at recruiting young unknown talent despite not having good draft picks. That's how they have remained effective so many years. I'm not saying they will never need a rebuild (you can't stay on top forever), but I don't see age being a factor anytime soon in their ability to contend for top playoff spots and the cup. I would suggest that the Wings have the core talent to remain at or near the top of the West for at least a few more years.

I don't put a lot of stock into the "average age" view. Chelios skews the average by a few years alone.

Your math is somewhat subjective

. Chelios out of the lineup changes the average age by a little over a 1/2 year (199 days). 15 out of the 31 (48%) players listed on the roster are over 30 and 20 (65%) players are older than the league average of 28. That is definitely leaning to the "long in the tooth" category IMO. These guys will get worn out just like the rest of the league. Lets hope you're right but I don't have much faith in it.

My regular pasture.

Your math is somewhat subjective

OK - Cheli only accounts for 199 days (which is a lot)... regardless, fact remains that the core is young, and the team will not be in a rebuild stage in the next couple years...

over 28... come on... most NHL players are effective to at least age 35 or so, some longer, some shorter, but until the KEY players are over the hill, it's not rebuild time. I just don't see your point, their average age is 1-2 yrs older than the league average so surely they need to rebuild due to age. Your argument just doesn't make sense to me.

OK - Cheli only accounts for 199 days (which is a lot)... regardless, fact remains that the core is young, and the team will not be in a rebuild stage in the next couple years...

Whatever dude, I've presented my facts to support my position and you've got your opinion. I say we agree to disagree and leave it at that.

My regular pasture.

Whatever dude, I've presented my facts to support my position and you've got your opinion. I say we agree to disagree and leave it at that.

sounds like a plan... but, can we at least agree to root for the Wings to do well despite their old age.

sounds like a plan... but, can we at least agree to root for the Wings to do well despite their old age.

absolutely, good idea

My regular pasture.

It was announced today that Chris Chelios was not offered an extension or a new contract to play with the Wings. If he chooses to continue to play hockey in the NHL it will be with another team.

My regular pasture.

Note: This thread is 5411 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!