IGNORED

Putting advice

Note: This thread is 5545 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

When you get down to read a putt and you can't get a line, what do you do?

Driver:TaylorMade R580 XD Stiff
3 Wood:Wilson FY-brid 15*
Hybrid:Adams A3 Boxer # 3
Irons:Titleist Square Toe 4
Irons:Callaway X-20 5-PWWedges:Adams Tight Lies GT SWPutter: Ping Anser 2Ball: Wilson Ultra or Precept Lady IQ180 or Bridgestone e6+

Use the shaft of the putter to draw an imaginary line or when you practice drop a club on the ground and putt along the shaft of the club. Sometimes if you draw a line with your putter by moving the club up and down along the line of the putt might also help visualize the line.

Use a two sticks with tread and put it down the line of a putt with your ball to actually see the tread as a line or else use white chalk for practicing seeing the line.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

I putt straight at the hole.

aeroburner tp 10.5 stiff
superfast tp 2.0 3 wood stiff
Halo 25 and taylormade tp 19 degree hybrids
miura cb 202 and wedge
tp 52* wedge, tp 56* taylormade spider mallet putter

If you are talking about not being able to determine the break so the line is a question like left lip or right lip, there are several pretty good things to try (I have never been good at plumb-bobbing). First look from both sides (at 90 degrees to the line) of the putt, sometimes you can get a hint that way. Secondly, as you are walking around the line, your feet are a pretty good indicator of slope. When my eyes are fooled, my feet are pretty valuable.

Playing in the mountains or near a major river or valley, your eyes can be tricked. I tend to think what I see as a straight putt will break away from the largest mountain or toward the river. I've had putts in Colorado that absolutely broke differently than the eye was telling me. For example, in Palm Springs, when in doubt, always figure it goes to the valley. Course designers can be pretty tricky and create illusions.

Finally, think of how the water drains off the green or if it is Bermuda where the sun is. Grain develops depending on water flow and sun position. Bermuda tends to break toward the sun if everything else is equal. You can see grain because grain toward you tends to look darker and grain away tends to look shiny.

If you are still uncertain... play it straight, maybe you will pull or push it and make it anyway, or maybe hit it straight and it is straight -- it happens. Whatever you do, determine where you want to start the putt and commit to hitting that line.

RC

Line up your putter, close your eyes visualize the line and the ball going in the hole, then close your eyes again, wind up and smack the ball 100 yards into the forest. Now you dont have to putt. :-p

but seriously, visualisation works for me, i visualise how much speed i need and how it will break. I wouldnt know though i need help putting too

I walk the parallel to the line and look for undulations in the green. Sometimes your feet can tell you a lot even when your eyes can't.

T.M. O'Connell

What's in My Bag
Driver - 909 D2 9.5 degree
3 Wood - 909 F2 15.5 degreeHybrid - 909 H 19 degreeIrons - AP2 w/ Rifle 6.5Wedges - BN 60.04 & 54.11Putter - Pro Platinum Plus

Down her in Texas in Bermuda greens, the first thing I do is notice where the water goes, and I notice where the setting sun is. After than I look at slope. If I don't see anything I play the ball on the lip breaking toward the water or the sun. I figure that is a pretty good guess. I'm starting to learn to plum bob. I don't quite have the hang of it yet, but I'm getting there.

If you play Bent greens, the ball will always go toward the water (from what I have been told).

My swing thoughts:

- Negative thinking hurts more than negative swinging.
- I let my swing balance me.
- Full extension back and through to the target. - I swing under not around my body. - My club must not twist in my swing. - Keep a soft left knee

Or you could just look at the hole and... "be the ball, nananannana"

My swing thoughts:

- Negative thinking hurts more than negative swinging.
- I let my swing balance me.
- Full extension back and through to the target. - I swing under not around my body. - My club must not twist in my swing. - Keep a soft left knee

I putt straight at the hole.

That's what I do. If I can't determine the break, it must be very little. Then I just concentrate on speed and keep it inside the hole.

I walk the parallel to the line and look for undulations in the green. Sometimes your feet can tell you a lot even when your eyes can't.

That'll work too. Don't just casually stroll that line though. Really zone in on what's happening under your feet.

Have a look at it from the other side of the hole, and the sides. Is there any water by the green? Ball will normaly tend to break toward the water if the line looks flat. If all else fails get down and have a look at it like Camila Vijegas.

If time permits then walk around your ball and the hole and look from all angles. If the break is there then you should see it by doing so.

If time doesn't pemit.....then putt it straight.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

How many putts do you have per round? Focus on the distance control over the line and you will find that you will eliminate 3 putts and your second putt will only be tap in putts.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Note: This thread is 5545 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!