IGNORED

hand rotation and releasing the club

Note: This thread is 5549 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

so i went to the the range today ( i was hitting off mats so idk how valid these results are) but anyway at the range today i was totally killing the ball everything was going dead straight and i hit some of the farthest shots i ever hit i was even hitting into a head wind. at the range i worked on rotating my hands through impact and i found this made a huge difference. i was actually turning balls over ( witch i had never done). and it feels like my slice is starting to maybe go away.my question is when people talk about releasing the club are they talking about hand rotation through impact?

in my bag
hibore xls 9.5* S flex
sumo2 sasquatch 3 wood 15*
a2os 3 hybrid
sc2 4-pw mpt raw haze 52* 588 56* wedge xtour PM grind 60* cleveland classic #2

I used to have trouble releasing the club through impact and finish, I have been working on this with my swing coach and she says to see the ball turn over or as she says "tumble" is a sign of a good release, what I am having trouble with is over doing it with the driver and hooking it.

So the answer to your question is IMHO and my understanding is yes, the turning over of the wrists and bringing the club up rather than around to a good balanced finish.

A good drill I have been doing is this:
With any club from say a 6i-Driver, stand with your feet together with the right foot (i'm a righty) about 5" further back that my left, now make half to three quarter swings following through to a full finish, if you lose your balance in the finish then you haven't released correctly.

I have been practicing it on the range for a couple of days and I have been told it's a good drill to do on the first tee to ease nerves and tension and I will be trying it tomorrow.

Driver: Taylormade R9
3 Wood: Cobra S 9-1
5 Wood: Cobra S 9-1
7 Wood: Cobra S 9-1

Irons: Taylormade r7 Custom Fit (SW-4)

Putter: Taylormade Rossa Monza Spyder

Balls: Titleist Pro V1x

Yeah, you can think of it that way. Just make sure that it is releasing correctly. Think of your left hand (if you are a righty) being bowed and the back of your left hand facing the target at impact.
Another swing thought that I was always told was try to hit the ball with the toe of the club. Now this is exxagerated because your swing speed will keep this from happening but this is a good thought to get you to release the clubhead

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for the help guys! can you please explain what you mean by bowed

in my bag
hibore xls 9.5* S flex
sumo2 sasquatch 3 wood 15*
a2os 3 hybrid
sc2 4-pw mpt raw haze 52* 588 56* wedge xtour PM grind 60* cleveland classic #2

my question is when people talk about releasing the club are they talking about hand rotation through impact?

Yes they are. But JMHO if you are having to consciously think about rotating the clubhead, that's not a great thing. I believe that is a good thought on the range, but during the pressure of a round, handsy thoughts and motions can go all to hell. You are on the right path as far as releasing the club. I think it is great you are turning it over. Again JMHO....when you get a really solid grip, with the grip of the club setting in the fingers and not the palms, all of this will happen naturally.

So I wouldn't say stop what you are doing on the range. It is obviously working. But now that you know the feeling of the head releasing, strive for that feeling to happen naturally without any manipulations of the "small muscles" (i.e. the hands, wrist and forearms). Good Luck!

Yes they are. But JMHO if you are having to consciously think about rotating the clubhead, that's not a great thing. I believe that is a good thought on the range, but during the pressure of a round, handsy thoughts and motions can go all to hell. You are on the right path as far as releasing the club. I think it is great you are turning it over. Again JMHO....when you get a really solid grip, with the grip of the club setting in the fingers and not the palms, all of this will happen naturally.

Right on about no manipulations. That will become way to hard to time. As long as you are in good position coming into impact the hands will rotate naturally. Did you change your grip to get these results at the range?

Note: This thread is 5549 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!