IGNORED

No Backswing Golf Swing

Note: This thread is 4071 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I read about it an issue or two ago... and I still think it is stupid. Maybe for "some" high handicappers who don't want to take the time, but for most golfers I would think it is oversimplistic and not advantageous. Certainly you will loose some power and it would be more difficult to work the ball. I just don't see any purpose for such a thing.

It depends on what your problems are. I constantly struggle with not taking the club back too flat and layed-off (laid-off?). I fixed it kind of permanently once, but ended up with a very upright, two-plane swing. I found that kind of swing hard to manage and ultimately no better than fighting my layed-off tendencies with a more one plane swing.

I now hit the ball with a wrist-cock preset (kind of like the 2007 Ryan Moore swing). FOR ME this takes the difficulty of a 'correct' backswing from about a 9 down to about a 3. Granted this is not as extreme as a true no backswing swing, but I don't have any trouble envisioning a golfer at almost any level finding something like this helpful (on the course). dave ps. Shot the best round of my life using my 'oddball backswing' - shot the course rating without putting particularly well (34 putts).

In The Bag:
- Wishon 949MC 10.5* Driver
- Wishon 525 F/D 3W
- Wishon 515 949MC 5W
- Wishon 60* Cx Micro LW- Wishon 550M SW (55*)- Wishon 550M GW bent to 50* - Wishon 550C 6i - 9i (9i bent to 45*)- Wishon 321Li 3i/4i/5i hybrids- Odyssey Two Ball Putter

Golf Swings are like thumb prints, no 2 are a like.. some guys have absolute terrible swings, but it works for them.

I played college football and baseball and every sport has these type drills. Nothing new, but I'm sure there is some golfer that uses this method and scores better than all of us. The only thing that need to be consistent is where the face of the club is at impact, how it gets there is kinda irrelevant... If you strike the ball with a square face pointing at my target you're gonna have a decent to great golf shot..

I played with this swing for a few iron shots today. Suprisingly, it actually worked quite well so now I know something is wrong with my backswing.

In my Xtreme Sport bag
'09 Burner 9.5*
F50 15* 3 Wood
Burner 18* 5 Wood
MX-19 4-GW SV Tour 54.12 & 58.08 White Hot 2-Ball SRT

I thought that this thread was about using a No Backswing Golf Swing out on the course, not as a practice drill. Isn't that what the video was about?

As a practice drill there's nothing novel about this type of action, I've seen it described many times before and done it myself. As a way to play the game of golf .... that would be another matter entirely.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

• 2 months later...
i have been playing with the no backswing swing for about a year now and i think it is the truth. it is a simpler motion. you can set and feel your hands and arms at the top, final check, and GO!

with all the talk about simplifying the golf swing, fewer moving parts, etc., i can't think of anything more effective than eliminating half of it!

i have had no loss in power and am actually hitting it further than i ever have.

believe it.

• 2 weeks later...
There is another way you can semi utilise the no backswing method which for me personally has improved my striking and scoring unbelivably.

What i do is this,address the ball so to make sure i am in the correct position, then i hold the golf club out front with wristed pre cocked club shaft poiting down target line. I then turn to the top making sure i dont rise up and change spine angle,and my arm is still straight i then hold the turn my hips have made and as much of the shoulder turn i can, and then take my hands back to the ball and immediately swing back up to the top again and then down. This works very well for me as i go back to a good backswing position by simply swinging my arms up, as i have already more or less semi set my shoulders and almost fully set my hips.

Looks a little strange but boy is it easier to strike the ball pure.
Im playng low single figure golf now, my putting still stinks but greens in regualtion are much more regular.

Hope this helps

Seems to me like a a sure way to develop the the charles barkley swing... yuck.

In my bag:
Titleist 910D2 w/Diamana Kaali'Stiff
Titleist 910F w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff
Titleist 910F Hybrid 19 degree w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff

Titleist AP1 Irons - TT S300
Titleist Vokey SM 50, 54 & 58 - Titleist Scott Cameron Newport

Seems like a good tool for diagnosing potential problems. Perhaps I'll try it at the range tonight.
Driver: Cleveland Hi-Bore Tour 9.5°, Fujikura Fit-On Red-Stiff
Fairway: Cleveland Hi-Bore 15°, Grafalloy ProLaunch Red-Stiff
Hybrid: Taylor Made Rescue Dual TP 3H, Diamana Blue Board-Stiff
Irons: MacGregor MT 3-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Stiff
Wedges: MacGregor MT Pro 52-6° & 58-10°Putter:...

No back swing
no golf swing
no thanks

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

I understand completely those who would rather have a nice looking if less effective swing, it took me a while before i got immune to the ribbing my mates were giving me, but let me tellyou, the ribbing soon stops when you are hitting quality shots consistently, especially when they have never seen this kind of consistency in your game before.

There is another way you can semi utilise the no backswing method which for me personally has improved my striking and scoring unbelivably.

I'd be interested in seeing a video of your routine/swing if you have one

I play with a guy who hits a PW 140+, 3-wood 260+ and he is about 5' 7" and has less than a half a backswing. Having spent some time watching him, and others with short take-aways, I think it works well because it helps make good contact with the ball and he cannot possibly release his hands too early. He gets the full effect from the kick of the shaft. I have tried to mimic this guys swing and it works fine on the range, but when I am playing I have a hard time taking such a short backswing.

Pros can take a full take away and generate even more club head speed because they can still hold off the release of the hands while generating a lot of centrifugal force with the longer swing path. Most of us, myself included, will start releasing our hands halfway through the down move which unloads the shaft flex too early ( or never loads it up to begin with). John Daly in his prime, had the longest swing path and could hold off the release so well, he could sometimes hit a SW over 150 yards. Most mortals cannot resist reseasing the hands too early with a swing that long.

Unless you can time it all just right, the shorter swing for the rest of us can result in better shots, while it may look and feel weird.

SubPar

Seems to me like a a sure way to develop the the charles barkley swing... yuck.

That's the first thing I thought of when I saw the video.

I also noticed they don't show where the ball lands in that vid... the only time they show the actual trajectory, the ball leaves the screen immediately then it cuts to another angle. IMO, using quarter, half, and three quarter swings is a drill/method than the no backswing, because then, you can pinpoint exactly where in your backswing you're making a mistake, and correct it and keep your backswing in the process.

In my bag:
'07 Burner (10.5*) Driver
Unknown model 3 & 5 Woods (next to get replaced)
Rescue (21*) Hybrid
Di7 4i-GW 56/08 Oil Can Wedge Rossa Blade Putter NXT Tour Balls

This is the worst idea I have ever heard of.

Worse than the "jump to conclusions" mat?

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

I tried this technique earlier this year when I started to experience pain in my left wrist that almost developed into the "full swing yips". By setting the club in a good position half-way back all that is left for me to do is to turn the shoulders to complete the backswing. Since the most difficult part of the swing for me has always been to set the club in a good postion half-way back, I am now constantly in the right postion. This is the way I play and probably always will. I am now also more focused on target since the diffucult part is taken out of the swing.

I don't care why it works, it just does. It feels as if I can maintain lag pressure in the downswing after pumping the club at the top. Somebody please explain.

• 1 year later...
i'm a firm believer in the "no backswing" golf swing. it eliminates unnecessary steps in a movement that demands precision and repeatability.

i don't think i'll ever go back. it's too much fun beating people with something that looks so different.

I don't know that this would work. Like many of you, I have used it and seen it used as a contact drill but never as a way to play 18 holes. Just seems like so much distance would be lost to me. And the Stack? That's the same swing theory that Watson has used his whole career. Keep a constant shoulder to spine angle aspect intact and have your rhythym consistent. I am no swing guru and I don't like to think of things like this that might affect my swing. LOL!

In my OU Bag: Driver 9.5 Neutral Fujikura Motore Stiff
3 Wood Big Bertha
Hybrid 21 degree
Irons Big Bertha 08 Model
Wedges 60 degreeFlatstick Original Answer Winn Midsize Grip Rock Pro V 1 Black"One of the reasons Arnie Palmer is playing so well is that, before each final round, his wife...

Note: This thread is 4071 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!