IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

Still Jack for me. Tiger is likely to pass 18 professional majors, but Jack had some attributes which I think Tiger has not yet developed. The fist pump and spit were not in Jacks game.

----------------------------------
909D3 10.5 Matrix Code 6
909F2 15.5 and 18.5 Whiteboard
585H Ozik Altus
MP68 4-P, KBS ZTP 52. 56, 60 KBS DASS Luke DonaldHome club: http://www.bearwoodlakes.co.uk/hm/hm.aspx

• Administrator
Still Jack for me. Tiger is likely to pass 18 professional majors, but Jack had some attributes which I think Tiger has not yet developed. The fist pump and spit were not in Jacks game.

Just as smoking isn't in Tiger's game (but was in Jack's until, coincidentally enough, the U.S. Open at Oakmont). Different eras. Jack didn't really have the Tiger Twirl or the Tiger Leg Kick, either.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Tiger this tiger that. Bunch of nonsence is what goes on. Untile Tiger has better numbers the point is mute. Consequently Jack did great thing with a family life. Tiger nothing so far, lets see results after kids to test his "great" consentration. One track man in my opinion so far. Regarding people who say tiger is longer than jack please, who hit it 300yds with wooden drivers. Not tiger! Better ball striker. Again who has hit 1 irons in competition with results. Not tiger. Yes tiger has better short game but stop saying he is better at everything versus jack.

At this point jack is still the best.

WITB
r7 SQ TP 8.5* Diamana White 83 X
GS Tour 14* Aero 85 X
Md 21* Aero 95 S
MP-67 MP-R Black Ni Wedges Red Circa62 No.2

Since I am part of the younger generation i am going to say Tiger. He has the greatest impact on and OFF the course. I think that you have to have both to be the greatest.
Ace Adair

904R 10*
I3 4 Wood 17* G5 Hybrid 22* CG-4's 4-PW Vokey Design 200 Series-- 50*, 54*, 58* G2 Anser Putter 35" ProV1 Hoofer 3 Bag "Putts get real difficult the day they hand out the money." -Lee Trevino "You are one evil, cunning woman. It's a massive turn on."--House...

1 irons to my understanding are modern 2 irons due to every club being made 1 club stronger in say the past 10-15 years, a modern PW was a 9 iron back in jacks day. Anyway, Id say Tiger so far has been much more dominant, but its too early to compare careers and tiger is/was a great 2 iron player, maybe the best ever, so that whole long iron arguement should be mute

Until Tiger wins 18 majors, Jack is the greatest, but when that happens (and it will...) it will be Tiger. Jack was a better driver, they are about even on iron play, Tiger has the much better short game, and they are both incredible clutch putters. Jack does lose points for being a Buckeye though :)

My bag:

Driver: Cobra AMP 9.5 degree w/ GD6 stiff flex shaft

3 Wood: Ping Anser 14.5 degree THC-800 stiff flex shaft

Hybrid: Titleist 910H 19 degree Mitsubishi Kiani Blue stiff flex shaft

Irons: Nike Pro Combo Tour 4-PW Dynamic Gold S300 shafts

Wedges: Titleist Bob Vokey 52-8, 56-11 and 60-4

Putter: 2-Ball White Steel, 34" bent 1 degree flat

• Administrator
Until Tiger wins 18 majors, Jack is the greatest, but when that happens (and it will...) it will be Tiger. Jack was a better driver, they are about even on iron play, Tiger has the much better short game, and they are both incredible clutch putters. Jack does lose points for being a Buckeye though :)

I disagree with this way of thinking (but hey, to each his own... I'm only commenting here on my opinion - keep yours, it's just as valid). Bobby Jones didn't win 18 majors (13, IIRC, and only 7 "pro" ones) but he in fact may be the best golfer of all time.

Tiger has won his faster. If a freak accident ended Tiger's career tomorrow, I'm simply suggesting the total number may not matter 100% - there's got to be some consideration for the RATE at which the majors were won, right?

I think Tiger's the best largely because of the rate. If his rate slows and he somehow doesn't get to 18, then both things (rate and total) will be in favor of Jack, but right now his rate's higher and it's almost a foregone conclusion his total will be higher, so I give a slight edge to Tiger.

And yeah, I'd put Bobby Jones ahead of Jack Nicklaus, though I could probably be convinced to change my mind because Jack may have had slightly tougher competition.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I have to vote for Jack because I am tired of hearing about Tiger this, Tiger that. I am waiting for him to walk on the water to get to the 17th green at sawgrass.

Driver-Callaway FT-5 Draw 9.5"

3WD-Callaway Hawkeye 15*

Hybrid-Callaway FT 21*

Irons-Callaway Steelhead X-16 4-P

Wedges-Callaway Big Bertha Tour 52* 56* 60*

Putter-Odyssey White Hot #1

I disagree with this way of thinking (but hey, to each his own... I'm only commenting here on my opinion - keep yours, it's just as valid). Bobby Jones didn't win 18 majors (13, IIRC, and only 7 "pro" ones) but he in fact may be the best golfer of all time.

Bobby Jones played against amateurs, well two of his grandslam were against amateurs weren't they??? Hard to compare any golfers of different era's. We're HUGE tiger fans but if Tiger were to retire tomorrow, dont think you could say without a doubt that Tiger was the greatest. Certainly you would say he WOULD have been the greatest, but the record books have gotta count for something

Golf is not a game of perfect unless you're playing with me

Tiger IS the man.

My Bag

Hybrids: nike.gif VR_S 17º, CPR3 18º, 22º, 26º, 30º R Graphite

Irons: nike.gif Slingshot 6I-PW R Steel

Wedges: nike.gif SV 52º/10, 56º/14

Putter: taylormade.gif Rossa Monza Corsa 34"

Ball: nike.gif One RZN-X

1 irons to my understanding are modern 2 irons due to every club being made 1 club stronger in say the past 10-15 years, a modern PW was a 9 iron back in jacks day. Anyway, Id say Tiger so far has been much more dominant, but its too early to compare careers and tiger is/was a great 2 iron player, maybe the best ever, so that whole long iron arguement should be mute

The long iron's go to Jack hands down. Tiger does have a nice 2 iron "tee shot" but I would say even Fred Couples is/was a better long iron player than I've seen from Tiger. Tiger has a better short game than Jack, and I even give Tiger a slight edge in putting over Jack, but overall ball striking goes to Nicklaus! As far as clubs go, you can't compare a forged blade iron from the 60's and 70's with the forged blades of today. There is a lot of technology in today's forged irons. I've played forged blades for over 30 years and when you slightly mishit a set of McGregor Tourney's from the 70's you instantly knew it and the results would be worse than poor. With today's forged blades you can slightly mishit it and still get away with a respectable shot. Then there's the whole golf ball differences. I always thought it would be interesting to see Tiger play a round with clubs and balls from that era. I'm sure he would be amazed at how easily the ball would spin left or right. It really is amazing what they have done in the last +20 years to take the side spin out of the golf ball! Bottom line is Jack didn't have the technological advantages that Tiger has. Golf was a harder game to play back then. The clubs had smaller sweet spots, and the balls flew shorter and with a lot more side spin.

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

• Administrator
The long iron's go to Jack hands down. Tiger does have a nice 2 iron "tee shot" but I would say even Fred Couples is/was a better long iron player than I've seen from Tiger. Tiger has a better short game than Jack, and I even give Tiger a slight edge in putting over Jack, but overall ball striking goes to Nicklaus!

Did you happen to watch the last two majors of last year? In particular, the one played in July?

Then there's the whole golf ball differences. I always thought it would be interesting to see Tiger play a round with clubs and balls from that era. I'm sure he would be amazed at how easily the ball would spin left or right.

You do realize Tiger played balata balls in winning some of his majors and all of his U.S. Amateurs, right?

Bottom line is Jack didn't have the technological advantages that Tiger has. Golf was a harder game to play back then. The clubs had smaller sweet spots, and the balls flew shorter and with a lot more side spin.

So? Nicklaus' and Tiger's peers have the same relative advantages or disadvantages. Technology is a moot point. Tiger - and Jack - can only compete with the equipment they have, just as Bobby Jones could before them both.