IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

I voted Jack for a reason or two, not related to their personal lives.

We are voting right now, today, and in the only race either of them would use to judge--performance in majors-- Jack is ahead 18-14. Even Tiger says that Jack's performance when he didn't win, something like 73 top tens will be difficult if not impossible to match.

Jack won his first professional major in 1962 and his last in 1986. For Tiger to match that, he will need to win a major in 2021.

Several have mentioned Tiger's prowess as a closer, but Jack was no slouch either. The final rounds at Baltusrol in 1980 and Augusta in 1986 were two of the finest rounds I've ever seen. Maybe not quite winning the US open on a broken leg, but certainly up there.

So right now, today, Jack is the greatest --so far.

Tiger certainly has the potential to eclipse Jack's accomplishments. Were it not for his "misadventures", I think he would have come very close this year. His leg and other problems not withstanding, he is in better condition. I must admit that overall, he is a tidier package of skills.

If if's and but's were candies and nuts, we'd all have a happy Christmas. If Tiger hadn't screwed up. If not for Lee Trevino, Tom Watson, and Johnny Miller, Jack would have had a few more majors through the years and possibly a grand slam in '72. If not for Y. E Yang, Tiger would have added one last year. If Jack had been more focused in his prime--he had numerous outside business deals not counting endorsements--who knows how much more he would have done.

As others have said, it is difficult to compare golfers from different eras because of equipment, contemporary competition etc., which is very true. I do believe when Tiger is done, IF he can refocus, will be the best to date. Jack was deservedly named the golfer of the century for the twentieth century. If you were handing out that award in 1930, you would have given it to Bobby Jones. Jack Nicklaus, who "played a game with which Jones was unfamiliar" wasn't born yet. Some have said the twentieth century was Jack's, and the twenty-first belongs to Tiger. Well, Tiger plays a game with which we are all unfamiliar, but there are still about 90 years left in this century.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I vote for Jack. It would be interesting to see the percentages of the ages of people who vote for Tiger vs Jack. Lots of golfers nowadays haven't seen Jack Nicklaus in his prime. No surprise that Tiger is outpolling Jack. And when Tiger's career is over, if he has more majors than Jack I don't know how anyone could argue against him.

But whenever you compare athletes of two eras, the older ones (especially pre-TV footage & pre-ESPN) tend to be downplayed. LeBron is awesome, but how many 18-30 year olds will even mention Oscar Robertson? (BTW, Kudos to LeBron for knowing who the Big O is while LBJ was still in high school). Heck, it's not even athletics. Take music. VH-1 or MTV has a top 100 songs of all time list, do you think they're gonna pick any song that doesn't have a video of theirs to go with it?

Tiger & Jack are both great. Too bad we can't see em play each other in their primes, with similar equipment, etc.

Several have mentioned Tiger's prowess as a closer, but Jack was no slouch either. The final rounds at Baltusrol in 1980 and Augusta in 1986 were two of the finest rounds I've ever seen. Maybe not quite winning the US open on a broken leg, but certainly up there.

I would add Nicklaus' final round at Baltusrol in 1967 as one of the best closing rounds ever. And whipping Palmer in a playoff at Oakmont at age 22 in Palmer's backyard at the height of Arnie's dominance (Arnie won the Masters and Britisih Open that year) was nothing short of incredible.

And as far as majors he could have won, how could anyone forget that Jack would have won the 1960 US Open as a 20 year old amateur if it wasn't for Arnie's charge and final round 65. And Jack himself admitted he did lose his focus and desire from right after his US Open win in 1967 until his British Open win in 1970. But unlike David Duvall, he was able to get it right back after his father died. He wanted to dominate again, and he turned it on just like that.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Since I've been old enough to watch golf I've rooted for Tiger, but Jack Nicklaus is the best. Tiger has not stayed true to the honor of the game on the course (this has nothing to do with anything off the course) and personally I believe Jack loves golf more. So until Tiger gets number 19, Jack gets the vote.

I don't really see how you can judge because Tiger's career isn't over. It's like saying Kobe is better than Michael, we'll see when it's all said and done. Tiger has a lot to overcome, maybe he won't be the same golfer, maybe he'll focus way more on his family now, who knows? If you ask "who played the most dominant 10 year stretch of golf", the answer to that is probably Tiger.

Umm im going to say tiger, for 1 simple reason, i seen him play in his prime.....

Driver: 909D3 8.5* Diamana White Board X
3 Wood: MP 630 15* GRAFALLOY PROLAUNCH RED X
Hybrid: 909H 19* "Real" VooDoo X
3 - P: MP-68 KBS Tour Black Nickel X
56* 10 Wedge Vr60* 06 Wedge: VrPutter: Custom Made.Golf Ball: TOUR B330SI am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was....

Tiger is the man!

--
Todd Huber
Driver:Taylormade R5 with stock shaft
3 Wood: Adams Red Line 15 degree
3 Hybrid: Titleist 909H with steel shaft5-SW: Callaway Big Bertha with Steel ShaftLW: Hippo 60 degreePutter: Odyssey 2-Ball MalletBall: Whatever I find in the woods!!

Jack v. Tiger with similar technology? I'm taking Jack.

It would be one helluva a game!

Driver 907 D2 9.5 deg driver. Stiff V2
3 wood Burner Bubble Firesole Steel-Tungsten R-80
Irons fat shaft 02H
Wedge vokey Oil can 56 Degree
Lob Wedge 588 RTG 60 Degree Putter Cushin 1975 ballsh pro v1

It would be one helluva a game!

how would it?

Tiger's swing is made for new technology, Jack's for older technology. They're totally different.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

Tiger is an arse. Jack was an arse. But Tiger is an arse in a different way. I like both and neither for different reasons.

Putter
MP-67 3-PW
905R, 906F
i-Mix FT-i Tour 9.5 w/Fubuki Tour Shaft
Hybrid V1x T-1000 Travel Case

Jack for me, like golf how it used to be.

oh please...all this faux piety is getting really annyoing.

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

I don't see how they're different at all. Regardless, it's speculative. The point is, if they were playing at their best, with similar technology, which they were comfortable with, the match would be a helluva game!

Driver 907 D2 9.5 deg driver. Stiff V2
3 wood Burner Bubble Firesole Steel-Tungsten R-80
Irons fat shaft 02H
Wedge vokey Oil can 56 Degree
Lob Wedge 588 RTG 60 Degree Putter Cushin 1975 ballsh pro v1