IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

220 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

This is obvious an ignorant post because I never got the opportunity to see Jack play, but I will go with Tiger. I also assume that the game has become more popular since Jack played, thus leading to more competition for Tiger than Jack.

Golfers are more equal these days than in Jack's time. I think the equipment has alot to do with that. Which is how we can tell BOTH men were the cream of the crop in their time periods. Jack used to blast the ball by everyone too. I think Tiger would probably beat Jack 7 out of 10 times if both were in their prime. You can't deny what Jack did in the majors though. In football the writers base too much clout on how many Super Bowls the QBs won, which I think is wrong. That's a team sport. Jack accomplished it all in an individual's sport. I think both separated themselves from the pack not because of their ability alone, but because of their motivation and what's between their ears.

Jack is my favorite golfer. But Tiger is the best I think we'll see in our lifetime.

I hope you take this as an unbiased opinion.

I have seen this thread floating around for a long time now but don't think I ever posted anything.

I say Tiger is the best. People say Jack had better competition but I say Tiger has the same competition, on a larger scale, he just makes them look so inferior.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

TIGER, TIGER, TIGER!

Every time that guy steps on a golf course he has a better chance of winning the entire event than any other player out there. And don't even get me started on his uncanny ability to finish. No choking there...

- Josh
www.joshuabudich.com

I have seen this thread floating around for a long time now but don't think I ever posted anything.

One sees this 'Tiger has same/more competition so often.

Just look at who Jack had to beat in order to achieve what he did: Arnold Palmer (7 majors) Gary Player (9 majors) Lee Trevino (6 majors) Tom Watson (8 majors) Seve Ballesteros (5 majors) Ray Floyd (4 majors) Billy Casper (3 majors) Hale Irwin (3 majors) These were active players who won multiple Majors between Jack turning pro and his last Major, the Masters', in 1986. Legends all! And Tiger has had to beat... Phil Mickelson (3 majors) Ernie Els (3 majors) Veejay Singh (3 majors) This is not to belittle Phil, Veejay and Ernie, but, really guys, the strength in depth simply isn't there, these days - well, not at the moment. For example, Jack won two majors - US Open and USPGA - in 1980. He beat everyone on that list of greats and all but two - Arnie and Casper - were still in their prime and winning tournaments. Do you see that quality in today's fields? Sure, Tiger seems to have built himself a psychological advantage over just about everyone else. But Jack did, too. Bobby Jones said of him 'he plays a game with which I am unfamiliar'. The difference? The other greats - Player, Watson, Ballesteros, Trevino, etc - worked on their game so they weren't intimidated by him - and beat him. Jack not only won 18 Majors, he was within half a shot a round of first place ANOTHER 18 times. It's an astonishing record, against truly high-quality fields, with a bunch of multiple-major winners ripping after him every time. Tiger will probably pass Jack's record of 18 Major victories - he may do it in the next 2-3 years and go on to approach 30. He is a brilliant golfer who has raised the bar - as Jack did in the 1960s, 70s and 80s. Would he have beaten Jack, if he'd been playing at the same time? Probably, yes - and Jack would have beaten him right back. Ultimately, the quality of a player can be best judged by the quality of the opposition - and on that measure, Jack wins. I've been fortunate enough to live to see both and, at the moment, Jack's my man! But jut one cotton-pickin' minute: What about Bobby Jones? 7 Majors - that's professional Majors: his actual record is 12, including his US and British amateur titles. He played against Harry Vardon, Gene Sarazen, the great Walter Hagen, and Tommy Armour (often overlooked but, with 3 'current' majors plus a Wester Open title, not a bad player at all) - and beat them all, while playing as an AMATEUR. And he retired in 1930, at the age of 28... A fantastic record! Comparing across the generations is difficult but in the all-time list I'd go: 1. Jack Nicklaus 2. Bobby Jones 3. Tiger Woods and then it gets very, very messy...!

unfortunately i never really saw jack either, but I think tiger has to be the best of all time.

Adams Golf Idea a2 OS Hybrids
(all but the 3iron, I broke it )

Tiger is the man, and has less attitude of his talent. Jack had an oppinion of himself that rubbed me the wrong way. Granted he was one of the greatest, but you can't act that way and Tiger doesn't. Tiger is all business and admits his faults, I never heard Jack do that.

I'll sidestep that slightly by saying Jack is the greatest but Tiger is very much on course to surpass him. Tiger holding four majors (arguably (very) the grand slam) is, to me, the most impressive accomplishment. All the grand slam/ not grand slam debate was interesting because no one had bothered to think through what the modern grand slam was because no one thought anyone would ever get even the slightest sniff at it.

All the grand slam/ not grand slam debate was interesting because no one had bothered to think through what the modern grand slam was because no one thought anyone would ever get even the slightest sniff at it.

Couldn't disagree more. The Grand Slam has been recognised as the current Four Majors - the professional Majors - since the 1940s. And all in the same season. Jack got pretty close in 1972 - he won the PGA in the January, the Masters, the US Open and was just pipped to the British Open by Lee Trevino. It may not have been recognised as a pukka Grand Slam, though, as the PGA in January was actually the 1971 championship.

When Bobby Jones won his Grand Slam in 1930 it was the US and British Open and Amateur titles. Prior to the emergence of The Masters - since Gene Sarazen's double-eagle (albatross) 2 at the 15th in 1935 - the fourth major was generally recognised as the Western Open (now the BMW Championship, part of the Playoffs). The 'unbreakable quadrilateral' has been golf's Holy Grail since the 1920s.

The Babe or the Mick? Wilt or Michael? Walter Johnson or Randy Johnson?

Times change, we love to make comparisons but they just can't be done. On any given day, though, I believe Jack would beat Tiger the first 18 holes, and Tiger would come back and beat Jack the final 18. Just my 1 cent worth.

You can't beat Jack Nicklaus - what a class act. And keep it mind golf technology wasn't up to par back in his time versus now. Definitely a true role model. Jack also doesn't have a dirty mouth, and I know Tiger does sometimes

Tiger becuase he knows hes gonna beat you and you know hes gonna beat you. You cant say that about Jack . Jack would win tournaments by 1 or 2. Tiger usually wins by 5 strokes and sometimes will 9 and 8 people in match play if you make him mad. Tiger backs up everything he says. Jack didnt have that "wow" factor

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."