IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

220 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

Thats said well marpr...if we go back twentyfive years ago when Jack played his style of golf I cant see putting Tiger style in there anywhere...it seems too cut-throat for that period of time...dont get me wrong tour players were competitive...Tiger was cultavated out of watching style from the early to mid eighties...yes he does hold some superior ability&technique; although it just would not be possible if there were wasnt ever a Golden Bear.

Right now, Lost Ball is going with Jack.

Lost Ball doesn't like to use dollar amounts made as some since it would be absurd to think that dollars 30 years ago could compare to today.

Lost Ball looks at Jack's Major record, 2nd place finishes, and competition around him.

In 5 years, it most probably will be Tiger
Golf is so popular simply because it is the best game in the world at which to be bad.

- A.A. Milne

Tiger for sure. And anyone who says Jack had better competition is wrong. In jacks day the 100-300 best golfers in the world had 0% chance of winning any major or even an event for that matter.

Today there is a much higher caliber of play from the 100-300 best in the world. The Top 100 quality is about the same, but the depth of fields is so much greater now.

Tiger for sure. And anyone who says Jack had better competition is wrong. In jacks day the 100-300 best golfers in the world had 0% chance of winning any major or even an event for that matter.

Sorry but I don't get your point.

What do you mean by "...the 100-300 best golfers in the world had 0% chance of winning any.." I never noticed that. Why is Charles Howell III a bigger threat than Doug Sanders?

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

If they played in the same era probably go 50-50. Jack being a little "meaner" the reason for the split.

Replace Phil with Jack at the same age today and "let him loose".

Always easier to chase a record then set one...

PS. Not a big fan of Jack, just my opionion.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

I know this has long been a debate and make no mistake as to the greatness of jack during his era. The most common arguments are equipment, and ball. What people in general forget to take into account is how different the game has become over the last 50 years. No one wants to or will ever admit that their time has been past by, but the fact is that it has. Not only is the equipment light years ahead but so is the difficulty of all of the courses. Watch the golf channel which plays a series showing great championships from the past and check out the conditions of the tracks. Stemp meter was a non factor back then because all of the greens back then were lke the 2nd cut of the rough. As in every sport there has been a huge level of increase in the players abilities not to mention the level of golf as a business. Even Jack himself has been quoted when asked about Tiger's game, "he plays a game for which I am not familiar". bwgolfer

TaylorMade Burner TP 9.5* stiff shaft Driver and Taylormade 15* medal
Cleveland utilities 22*
Taylormade tour prefered irons with rifle flighted 6.0
Taylormade z groove tp wedges 52* and 58*
Rife Antigua blade putterTitlest Pro V1X, Bridgestone 3000s Black

How can anyone make a legitimate response. If Tiger were in Jack's era he would have had the likes of the big three. Plus equipment has changed dramatically. Strength training was really non existant. But if Jack was in Tigers' era who knows what could be happening. What Jack has done to date is a tremendous goal for anyone . But as we all know records were made to be broken . Tiger has every shot in the bag because the courses are longer and very difficult . It would be a very hard to decide. To me they are dead even.

Jack Vs. Tiger Lets Compare

Driving Ability Even Best In Their Era
Long Iron Play Even Ditto
Short Iron Play Tiger
Scrambling Tiger By A Mile
Mental Toughness Even
Marketability Tiger By A Mile
Putting Jack Very Slightly
The Winner Tiger Via Scrambling

Marketability Tiger By A Mile

Lost Ball asks, who cares about Marketability?

Lost Ball sees John Daly as a top draw marketability wise as well
Golf is so popular simply because it is the best game in the world at which to be bad.

- A.A. Milne

I'm going with Jack for a few reasons.
First, he had legendary rivals he had to beat. Trevino, Palmer, Player, Watson, you name it.
Second, traveling back then was much more grueling. No private jets and long layovers, etc.
Third, He was a family man. Playing golf with family stress is much more difficult.
Fourth, Jack was a great Ryder Cup player. More stress there, many say, and Tiger is a bust in that arena. Tiger needs to make hay in that event and I don't think he can, or will.

Honorable mention- Jack placed 6th at the Masters at age 58. Enough said...

My draw is your cut.

My bag-
Driver- Callaway X460 Tour. 9.5 degree, Fujikura stiff.
3-Wood- Taylor Made V-SteelUtility- Nickent 3DX 17 degreeIrons (3-PW) Ping S59'sWedges Cleveland 900 series 58 degree, Titleist Vokey 54 degree SWPutter- Scotty Cameron Circa #2Ball- Taylor Made Tour Red

I have to go with Tiger, he just seems like the kind of guy who you wouldn't want to have biting at your heels in a tournament and he has fought through a lot of stuff on the tour being a black member. Jack is awesome but I think Tiger has worked harder.

Titleist 913 D3 10.5*

Adams Super XTD 17*

Adams DHY 21*

TaylorMade TP MB 4-PW

Titleist SM4 54*/58*/62*

Bettinardi SS 11

Leupold GX-3i Rangefinder

Titleist ProV1 Ball

If Tiger stays healthy he will surpass all of Jack's records. The level of competition that Tiger faces is higher than what Jack faced. That makes Tiger's dominance that much more impressive.
Bill Coulter
Harrod Ohio

www.billcoulterart.com
What's in my bag:Driver SasquatchFW woods Irons X14Wedge's Putter