IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

Something I saved from somewhere:

I'll have to check out how Watson, Miller, Casper, etc fared.

And we mustn't forget that Trevino, Player, Watson et al were all playing against each other, as well as the mighty Jack. Interesting programme I saw on Sky yesterday, called 'Overcoming the Majors'. Larry Nelson, and a couple of others, said they couldn't put a cigarette paper between Jack and Tiger but thought Tiger may just have it - but he (Tiger) isn't facing the level of competition, the Trevinos, Watsons, Players, Palmers, that Jack faced. Now that could be because of the nature of him, that competitors simply melt when Tiger comes up the leaderboard. "But I really would like to see him face people like Watson and Trevino and the rest" said Nelson (I think - but memory plays tricks as one gets on...) Must also bear in mind - Monty has more victories than either Singh or Mickelson, and in more countries - with the exception of the USA. Not sure what that stat says.

I wasnt alive in Jacks prime and Tiger is absolutely amazing on any golf course.

Driver: Cobra s9-1 F Speed 9.5
FW: Cobra s9-1 F Speed 15
Hybrid: Cobra Baffler DWS 20
Irons: Taylormade Supersteel 4-PW
Wedges: Titleist Vokey Oil Can 52 56Putter: Nike Method 001Ball: Bridgestone Tour B330-RXBag: Ogio Grom

I'll have to check out how Watson, Miller, Casper, etc fared.

I really do think it is impossible to argue the comparative strength of the two era's and although it is relevant to the question it is irrelevant to the answer as the two era's when looking at elements as broad as strength of opponents is in my opinion to vast to accurately measure against each other.

EDIT - I know this is confusing to read.... it may possibly be me that only understands what this means lol - EDIT Especially if you choose ignore stats, like you have said in your last paragraph, almost writing something off because someone who you consider to be a lesser golfer has won more than expected... and there for deeming that stat to be irrelevant... at least the thought of the stat being irrelevant was implied.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

Oh this is such a loaded question..LOL

Everyone my age (41) knows the answer to this question. This is like the old school Jack/Arnie debate; which btw was harder to answer because Jack and Arnie were so different in style.

But in all honesty I think Jack would have the edge. (I am even given the technology factor to Tiger)

Tim

Tiger all day everyday

Drivers: 10.5* Superquad with blue ProLaunch shaft or a SQ 460 Lucky 13
Woods: X Tour 15* 3 wood with Fujikura shaft
Irons: Big Bertha irons
Hybrid: Draw Rescue 3 19* with Reax shaft
Wedge: C-10 60*Putter: Rossa Monza CorzaAge: 18Location: Rochester Hills, MichiganBest Shot-75

Tiger is one great player but i think with all the new technology it is alot easier to hit the ball the way you want it... back in jack's hayday, golf clubs were never thought as being forgiving or easy to hit... i say jack!!!

IMO its hard to compare one era to another b/c of equipment. Do though feel that Jack had to deal with more competition than Tiger. I can't remember who, but some past PGA tour player said that there are more very good golfers today, but in Jacks day there were more great golfers. Most the time when Jack won someone, G Player, Arnie, T Watson, L Tarvino, was nipping at his heels.

At this time Jack still holds the record for the most wins, so I've got to go with Jack.

I have to agree. On both counts.

Especially if you choose ignore stats, like you have said in your last paragraph, almost writing something off because someone who you consider to be a lesser golfer has won more than expected... and there for deeming that stat to be irrelevant... at least the thought of the stat being irrelevant was implied.

I made no allegation of whether I thought anyone was a lesser golfer or not. It was a reply to the stats previously quoted about Vijay and Phil M, Tiger's two closest chasers in Major titles.

POWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!
Oh, I though you meant Jack Hamm, the innovator of the HAMMER!

Tiger has 'pounced' the field but he doesn't have a lot of competition (with a lot of Majors under their belt). However, I do think Tiger will break the record that Jack set with the number of Majors.

Jack is still the greatest. Jack had more 'contenders' (Norman, Floyd, Kite, Casper) to deal with. He beat a legend in his rookie year, Arnold Palmer. The technology of the equipment and the condition of the courses are not what they are now.

STR8 Dymo 10.5
Dymo 3W
Mid Rescue 3
MP-33 4-PW
Eidolon 52* GW LW, SW Titleist Bullseye Putter

Guys, no, Tiger's competition doesnt have any majors, but that's because tigers winning them all. When he wins 2 or 3 a year, that only leaves one or 2 for the competition to take, and with the field today, alot of younger players get hot at the right time and take it.

Equipment wise? look at all the top level player's bags.Tiger has one of the most traditional sets on tour, and the only club in his bag that would be considered "forgiving" would be his driver, but look at where his drives can end up. If his equipment was giving him a distinct advantage, he would be hitting every fairway.
Yes, he can make bad swings with his driver, but the club itself doesn't make his misses any better.

I voted Tiger, my dad like Jack, people who grew up watching Jack will all lean towards him as the best player, and people like me who never saw Jack, will all lean towards Tiger.
In The Bag

Titleist 905T 9.5°
Nike Sumo2 15°
Nike Sumo2 19°Nike Forged Irons - 3-PW Titleist Bob Vokey Spin Milled 56°10°Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2

you are confused that is the whole point Jack's competition was keeping him from winning more. Lot's of second place finishes because his competition was fierce. Also I wonder why you know that the driver did NOT give him an advatage they could have been even further in trouble could they not. Jack was always consistent in his hay day.

Tiger is remarkable. He is truly gifted and his mental game is so much better than anyone else.

Driver- Snake Eyes 600T 11.5 Graphite Reg.
Woods- 3 & 5 Lynx Predator Graphite Reg.
Irons- 3-P Diawa Graphite Reg.
Putter- Ping Karsten (an old one)
Sandwedge- Console SteelBall- Whatever I can get my hands on Bag- Taylormade Stand Bag

I would say tiger because of his mental toughness, imagine the media circus and the unbelievable size of the spectator galleries surrounding him at every hole, jack was very popular but never had this level of media and fan frenzy to deal with.

IMO its hard to compare one era to another b/c of equipment. Do though feel that Jack had to deal with more competition than Tiger. I can't remember who, but some past PGA tour player said that there are more very good golfers today, but in Jacks day there were more great golfers. Most the time when Jack won someone, G Player, Arnie, T Watson, L Tarvino, was nipping at his heels.

I think the only really relevant criteria is wins, and in particular major wins. At this point, Jack is still ahead. I've always thought Woods will pass Jack's record, and if/when he does, I vote for Tiger as the BOAT.