IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

I voted Tiger, primarily because I'm in his "age bracket" and I never saw Jack in his Prime... although he's still whoop me up and down in his current playing form..

SW2

In My Bag 2009;
DRIVER: SQ Sumo 5000 10.5°
WOODS: SQ2 15° 3 wood / Nike SQ2 21 #3H
IRONS: Victory Red Full Cavity 4-PW, 50° AW (Steel Shaft)
WEDGES: Victory Red Forged Wedge Black - 54°/12B and 58°/6BPUTTER: BC01 / Kia Ma Monte CarloBAG: Xtreme Sport II Stand/Carry BagSHOES:...

as far as winning goes I wouldn't take either does anyone remember Sam Snead? The man won 82 PGA Tour events! Or what about Bobby Jones? come one Tiger might get there but to say he's the best ever is ignorant

Tiger Woods

G10 9* Proforce V2 HL S
G10 15.5* TFC 129 S
G10 21*, 24* TFC 129 S Hybrids
MP-57 5-PW DG S300
52* MP-R 56*.11, 60*.7 SM Vokey Newport Detour 2.5 Tour Ix, PRO V1x

I'm a huge fan of Tiger - his putting abilities (at least pre-surgery) were incredible. I love watching him snipe around the green from a few yards out.
In my bag:
Driver: 454 Titanium Big Bertha 9*
Hybrid: Burner Rescue 3 Hybrid 19*
Irons: X-14 Steelhead Irons 3-8, PW
X-22 9 IronWedges: X-Tour Forged 56*, 60*Putter: Tri-Ball SRTBalls: e6+ (and some cheap balls usually for the first few holes )

I think considering todays information and technology, Jack was a creator, inventor, and an Einstein. He did not have the equipment nor the technology to help him. Tiger had all of the help, plus he was able to read Jacks books haha. Tiger is considered the better putter, and Jack is supposedly more consistent off the tee. I think it all boils down to money. Tiger gets paid more, so he trains harder haha. With the help of technology, Tiger has an advantage over Jack. He is also stronger than Jack, so when distance becomes necessary, there is another advantage. Therefore Tiger is better....

At this point in time I go with Jack. Give it another 10 years and it certainly could be Tiger. This is what jumps out at me though (sorry if it's a repeat, I didn't read the whole thread)

Jack's Majors through the years.. Amazing.. In the 70's only 5 times not in the top 10. now this was Jack's 2nd full decade in Majors and Tiger hasn't gotten to that point yet in his career

Here's Tiger for comparative purposes

Jacks done, Tiger isnt. Its only natural to compare now, but when its all over i dont think its going to be much of a debate. Tiger FTW.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Obviously the greatest is Rory Sabbatini. Followed by Sergio Garcia when he's striking the ball well. Followed by Old Tom Morris, in that order.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

Jack because he is more in touch with the general public. Golf My Way is something that Jack wrote (with Bowden) while all of Tiger's stuff is written by people for him.

Driver & 3 Wood: Burner Superfast
Utility 17°: 09 Rescue
Irons (3- PW): Original 845 Silver Scott
Sand Wedge 56°: Vokey
Putter: IC 20-10ABall: Tour iXGPS:

This is a tough call considering the advances in equipment between jack's time and tiger's. I think if jack was playing now instead of then he would have been the better player.

As a younger guy (35) I would like to know why you would think that Jack now would be a better player. Just wondering how you go to your conclusion...

Driver: GigaGolf Verve 17 10.5°
Woods: Gigagolf X2 Fairway 3 Wood, Orlimar Trimetal 19°
Hybrids: Gigagolf Cloud Nine 4
Irons: Gigagolf Cloud Nine Series
Wedge: Gigagolf SGS Black 52° & 58°

Putter: Ping Pal 2i Isopur

Shoes: Adidas

Ball: Titleist NXT

This is a tough call considering the advances in equipment between jack's time and tiger's. I think if jack was playing now instead of then he would have been the better player.

Courses are harder too.

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

I only ask because Tiger is in much better physical condition and I would say metal condition. Courses are way longer now, greens are much tougher. And the competition I would say is more closely matched.

Driver: GigaGolf Verve 17 10.5°
Woods: Gigagolf X2 Fairway 3 Wood, Orlimar Trimetal 19°
Hybrids: Gigagolf Cloud Nine 4
Irons: Gigagolf Cloud Nine Series
Wedge: Gigagolf SGS Black 52° & 58°

Putter: Ping Pal 2i Isopur

Shoes: Adidas

Ball: Titleist NXT

I think Jack might take it if he was in his prime now with the more modern equipment at his disposal, but we'll never know.

In my X-Series Bag:

Driver G10 10.5*
Woods V-Steel 3W, 5W
Hybrids Pinemeadow ZR1 19* 3HIrons MX-19 4-GWWedge MP-R Black Nickel 54/10Putter Rossa Sebring AGSI+

Tiger Woods has changed the face of golf like no other person. There is no denying Jack's talent, but Tiger has advanced the sport in the last 12 years so much further than anyone could have imagined.

In my Ogio Grom XX Stand Bag:

Taylormade JetSpeed Driver (10.5°)

Taylormade JetSpeed Fairway 3 Wood (17°)

Taylormade SpeedBlade 3H, 4H Hybrids (19°, 22°)

Taylormade SpeedBlade Steel Irons 5-PW

Taylormade SpeedBlade Wedges AW,SW,LW (50°, 55°, 60°)

Odyssey Versa 330M Putter

Different equipment, different courses, different competition so impossible to be definitive. But I like the way Jack interviews - what a gent!

In the years to come, Rory McIlroy might throw a few cats among these pigeons...