IGNORED

So I tried blades today...

Note: This thread is 5478 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just told myself that the day I break 80 is the day it becomes a priority for me to buy a set of blades, used or new.

Actually I did it the after I broke 90 for the first time.

In my Tour Combo Bag:

Driver: Superquad 9.5°
5W: 2008 Burner 18°
3H: Idea Pro Gold 20°4H: 2008 Burner Rescue 22°Irons: MP52 R300 5-PWedges: Vokey SM 50.08, 54.11, 58.04, 60.11Putter: Itsy Bitsy SpiderBall: TP Red

Only problems i had when i switched to blades (half true anyways) is that they were a little heavier (probably due to the shaft) and that i hit fatter shots more often, possibly due to the thinner sole or possibly a lower bounce angle? Either way, although my irons are older, I love my irons and wouldn't trade them for the latest and greatest GI irons.

What I Play!

x86 Stand Bag
Driver: 907D2 10.5* w/EPIC-S
Irons: 735.CM irons 4-PW PX 5.5FW Wood: 909F2 15.5* Aldila Voodoo SHybrid: 909.H 21* Diamana Blue Board SWedges: Vokey 250.08 (oil can), Spin Milled 54.11 & 60.07 (Black Ni)Studio Select 2.5Ball: Pro-V1x/Bridgestone B330s (or anything I...

I play the blade(titleist zm) too. I have only play golf for half year and it's works for me pretty well. However I have hard time to use an offset iron, i couldn't find a right timing. I think it's about the preference.

I play the blade(titleist zm) too. I have only play golf for half year and it's works for me pretty well. However I have hard time to use an offset iron, i couldn't find a right timing. I think it's about the preference.

Yes, Yes. I also had the impression that less offset made it easier for me to hit down and strike the ball first.

In my Tour Combo Bag:

Driver: Superquad 9.5°
5W: 2008 Burner 18°
3H: Idea Pro Gold 20°4H: 2008 Burner Rescue 22°Irons: MP52 R300 5-PWedges: Vokey SM 50.08, 54.11, 58.04, 60.11Putter: Itsy Bitsy SpiderBall: TP Red

Haha, thanks. Made him my avatar because my swing is probably about as coordinated and graceful as I imagine his to be.

I guess they never showed his swing in the episode where he hit balls into the ocean and Art Vandelay Marine Biologist had to pull the ball out of the whale's blowhole...

titleistprov1x |nikeneo |●| callawayx-forged 54/60 |● |mizunoMP68

adamsproblack 3H |●| mizunoMPtitanium5w/3w |●| mizunoMP630FT

+1 I'm going back to my Pro Combos Tours. 3 years ago Nike, Bridgestone, and Titleist all came out with progressive sets. You don't see them anymore...

The Mizuno MP-62's look to be fricking amazing. I think those may be my next set of irons.
I play blades and had never really noticed them being difficult to hit.

titleistprov1x |nikeneo |●| callawayx-forged 54/60 |● |mizunoMP68

adamsproblack 3H |●| mizunoMPtitanium5w/3w |●| mizunoMP630FT

An interesting/related story from a number of years ago.

I returned to golf in 2001 after 25 years away from the game. I started with a set of Tommy Armour Silver Scot cavity back irons. They were OK.

I saw a truly beat to crap set of Hogan blades (circa 1980) in a golf shop for $20 that I bought just for practice use on the assumption that 'harder to hit would be better for practice'.

I instantly liked them better than my Silver Scot's. But the Hogan's had no 5i and the 7i face was so rusty and pitted it had to be illegal. I did some informal experiments between the Hogans and Silver Scots and came to the conclusion that (for the kind if mis-hits that I experience) there wasn't much difference (at least for 6i's which is the club that I used for most of the comparison experiments).

So I ended up playing a set of Hogan Channelback blades (circa 1995) for several years until I literally wore out the PW. I now play Wishon "player's cavity backs", although I did end up with hybrids for 3i/4i/5i (more of a trajectory thing than foregiveness thing), although when you get down to 3i it does make a difference.

dave

In The Bag:
- Wishon 949MC 10.5* Driver
- Wishon 525 F/D 3W
- Wishon 515 949MC 5W
- Wishon 60* Cx Micro LW- Wishon 550M SW (55*)- Wishon 550M GW bent to 50* - Wishon 550C 6i - 9i (9i bent to 45*)- Wishon 321Li 3i/4i/5i hybrids- Odyssey Two Ball Putter

I grew up playing blades, there were no GI's in those days. My Dad switched to GI's when the Wilson 1200GE's came out. My friends switched to game improvement irons. I have tried both. Personally, I hit it better with blades. Is it because alot of players sweep the ball and that sole mass and weighting gets the ball up in the air? I never had a problem getting the ball in the air, heck I played a #1 iron Australian blade (Dunlop) and got it in the air. I think if you can make good contact with a GI iron, the same is with blades. Fear of hitting blades is unfounded to me. Some may hit GI's appreciably better but that never was in my case. I've mishit blades and the shots aren't horrid. To those that have never used blades, don't be afraid of them, they are great clubs.

I'm down to a 10 handicap. At this rate, I'll get to scratch at 90 years old!

They may work for you, but for many I recommend going to get fit for any new irons. This will get you the irons that will help your game more than any other. good luck with your blades, though. I personally play AP2's

• 4 weeks later...
you definately need a very good swing to be consistent with blades.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Ive hit blades tons. While I do agree that there isnt anything to be afraid of, I dont really understand why someone with a 20+ handicap would want to hit them. Just because you CAN hit them, doesnt really mean you should be gaming them. People also say, "you cant work the ball with GI irons" and stuff like that. This is TOTAL BS. I sit and watch my pro hit draws/fades/hooks, whatever he wants with my irons. I dunno, I sometimes think people try to step up to blades due to ego reasons as apposed to "I really cant work the ball like I want to with cavity backs" reasons. This is just ridiculous to me. This game is hard enough as it is, why make it any harder on yourself just to look cool/better than you are when there is proper equipment out there for all skill levels. Also, to the OP, when I say "you" in this post, im not necessarily referring to you... just the figurative you.

In my bag:

R9
Burner 3w
Burner 5w Burner Plus 4I-SW 60* LW, 52* GW Rossa Spider putter

Kind of silly but I started playing golf with a set of 20 year old golden bear blades. I played with them until the the head snapped off the 4 iron. Anyway, after that I invested in nike pro combo's. I seem to always hit pretty much dead center with the short mid iron blades but miss the center on the 3 and 4 which are full cavities.

I don't know if blades are harder to hit but they do seem to hit the ball further in my experience. I have higher lofted clubs then my friend who plays cavity backs and I found that I hit his big bertha 6 iron about the same distance as my bladed 8 iron. After only playing blades cavity backs seem to have a really dull feel to them even on good hits.

The obvious plus to blades I think is feel and feedback. On really great shots sometimes it feels like you didn't even hit a ball. :)

[QUOTE

The obvious plus to blades I think is feel and feedback. On really great shots sometimes it feels like you didn't even hit a ball. :)[/QUOTE]

Thats called Butter!!!! so addicting

Tour Burner 9.5 w real Diamana 63 S
906f4 15.5 Proforce V2 S
909H 19 Diamana S
755 4-PW
Vokey 50/56/60Yes! NatalieBushnell Medalist w/ PinseekerI'll play just about any ball

I love mine very much ....
What I Play:
913D3 9.5°Diamana Kai'li 70 Stiff  "C3" | 910F 15°, Diamana Kai'li 80 Stiff "D2" | 910H 19°,  Diamana Kai'li for Titleist 85 Hybrid Stiff | Titleist 714 AP2 4 to P Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S | SM4 Vokey 50.12, 54.14 & SM5 60.11K| 34" Edel Umpqua + 40g Counter Weight

Upon reading this thread, I am thoroughly disappointed in my past self for buying game improvement!

dont be..those g10 of yours will make you alot better, alot quicker than any blade will. Once you get good at ballstriking, then make the change to players irons..they dont have to be blades.

dont be..those g10 of yours will make you alot better, alot quicker than any blade will. Once you get good at ballstriking, then make the change to players irons..they dont have to be blades.

You know, you're probably right. I sort of had that revelation on the par 3 third hole at a random course here in Jersey about a month ago. It's only a 135 yards from the men's tees, but there's water in front that you have to carry and the weather was chilly. I pulled out my 7-iron just to make sure I was long rather than short and decided on a smooth 80% swing. Well, I totally mishit it, but I could actually feel the game improvement aspect of the club helping get the ball airborne. It felt like I hit it off the toe of the club. The shot had a terribly low ball flight, and I missed the green, but I carried the water and was able to save par. With blades, that ball would've barely made it 100 yards out and I would have been reaching for a provisional. I was thankful for my irons that time for sure.

My swing isn't there yet, but in time, my friends, in time...It feels like I'm improving again after a few weeks of stagnation.

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I can't wait for my BH blades to arrive. I've been practicing with a Mizuno MP-32 6 iron these past two weeks and Its pretty nice. I think I'll be playing 3-5 CB and 6-PW blades for the time being.

« Keith »

I can't wait for my BH blades to arrive. I've been practicing with a Mizuno MP-32 6 iron these past two weeks and Its pretty nice. I think I'll be playing 3-5 CB and 6-PW blades for the time being.

those are beautys. please post a photo of them when you get em!

Note: This thread is 5478 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!