IGNORED

what clubs do you typically chip with?

Note: This thread is 5503 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

i have several. they double as 7, 8, and 9 irons. sometimes a hybrid. thats why those chippers are such scams. everyone already has one, just dont know it.

Ahhhh, as I said, the ego gets in the way.

Honestly though, if you're playing off of a 10 you're not really the average golfer, so you can likely manipulate the different lofts, bounce angles, and more importantly shaft lengths well enough that you might not benefit from a dedicated chipper. Most players north of a 15 or so would be well advised to at least give it a try. It'll likely serve them a helluva lot better than that 4th wedge that so many like to carry. But then, wedges are cool ...... ......and fwiw, I've known some single digit hcps that use a chipper to very good advantage.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ahhhh, as I said, the ego gets in the way.

When I first started using a hybrid for my 3i and 4i and had a buddy that would always laugh. He would say "I don't carry a hybrid because I can hit my 3i and 4i." He changed his tune a bit when I consistently hit greens from 200-220 out and he didn't. I simply said that if the pros used them, then why shouldn't I? Now since then I have went back to my irons just because of the feel factor and I hit them pretty well now. But this just backs up your point about ego.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

I mainly use my hooded 54 unless it's a tucked pin, then I'll use my 58.

I use the 54 to fly 1/2 and run 1/2. The 58 is more of a fly and check.

Two swings, two clubs, many shots. My strength is my chipping game, it's come out of necessity by missing so many greens

Unlike the many 290 hitters posting here, I'm admittedly not long off the tee, and certainly not accurate as I should be with my mid irons. I do however, get my greenside lies up and down quite a bit.

There's nothing like a chip in to deflate the egos of the bombers in the foursome. This past Saturday the other 3 guys in my group were all within 10-15 feet of the hole in regulation. I was pin high but in the left rough about 15 yards away. They were all drooling over their birdie putts. I knocked my chip in, took the wind out of their sails and won the hole!

Two words: Ka Ching !

If I practice anything it's the chip shot. I think it's the most important shot in the game. No matter which stick you use to chip with you need to be confident that you're gonna knock it in!

• Administrator
Well i read about 4 chapters of Stan Utley's book since Monday and I went to the range last night and bought a jumbo bucket... EVERY SINGLE SHOT either off the hosle and to the right screaming ground ball, or I got the ball in the air with a terrible slice. I could feel the club head turning in my hand at impact.

How can you possibly slice a bunker shot or a chip?

In other words, why would you read a short game book and apply it to your full swing (the only way you could really slice)?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

on some of the chips and pitches I was obviously pulling up or coming across my body because I wasn't even making contact with the club face. But I pulled out all my other irons to take full shots as well and that is when I experienced the problem. I always practice from S wedge to driver consecutively. so after a while I went to hitting full shots and couldn't do it. 9i.8i,7i.6i.5i.4i. NOTHING.

Driver 3wood and hybrid were fine. its so weird

X86 stand bag
905T Driver
AP2 4-W
R5 3 wood
3 hybrid Vokey SM 56 #1 putter Pro V1/Pro V1x

How can you possibly slice a bunker shot or a chip?

Roll the face open at contact. Given the expected constraints (mine is Pelz swing), one might think it is impossible. I believe it is from getting outside of your swing line and then bringing it inside quickly to compensate. Or getting the club too vertical as opposed to the head/face being way back in your swing.

But I have done it, albeit not that many times in a row. 140 must be some kind of record. Mike K.
Michael Krolewski

In the Bag Boy Revolver Pro on a Clicgear 2.0 cart:
Acer Mantara XL Driver 10.5
Acer Mantara S.S 3 Wood; 3DX DC 15* Hybrid (3w/1h); 3DX DC 17* Hybrid (4w/2h); Acer XP905 Ti Hollow Core WS 4-9i; cg14 48* 2dot; cg14 54* 1dot; cg14 60* 1dot

• Administrator
Roll the face open at contact. Given the expected constraints (mine is Pelz swing), one might think it is impossible.

Nah, the ball isn't moving fast enough to slice. It might move a few inches but, c'mon... it's not going to "slice."

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Nah, the ball isn't moving fast enough to slice. It might move a few inches but, c'mon... it's not going to "slice."

I think he means a hard cut...

DBake
Titleist 909D3 10.5* Tour Green 89 Stiff
Titleist 906F2 15* v2 85 Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 2-PW S300
Mizuno MP-R 52* & 59*Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5Titleist Pro V1Leupold GX-1The Home Course (75.7/130)

• Administrator
I think he means a hard cut...

Heh, potentially.

Anyway, let's get back to topic. The OP started another topic on his shanking issues anyway.

I use my 56 for a little bump and run chip. When I want it to get up, I use the 60. Depending on the greens, my distance from the cup, and my lie on the rough or fringe, I'll use the mid to short irons for a hot bump and run.

----------------------------------------------------------------
What's in My Bag?
Driver - R9 460 10.5* UST Proforce V2
F Wood - SQ2 3W 15* UST Proforce V2
Hybrid - Baffler DWS 20* Fujikura SpeederIrons - Pro CB (4-PW) Project X 6.0Wedges - CG14 52* CG12 56* & CG15 DSG 60* Putter - Studio...

I use a 56 from most all chips. I don't like how 'chip with your 5-6-7-8 irons' is being shoved down my throat all the time. I'm comfortable with the 56, I am used to the way the ball comes off the face with it, and I don't like the bump and run approach. So 56(I don't yet own a 60 degree, but If I did I would probably incorporate that as well).

Yea, stick with it man...Whatever works for you won't hurt. I grap my 56 for about 60-70% of my chips. Depends on the situation...

----------------------------------------------------------------
What's in My Bag?
Driver - R9 460 10.5* UST Proforce V2
F Wood - SQ2 3W 15* UST Proforce V2
Hybrid - Baffler DWS 20* Fujikura SpeederIrons - Pro CB (4-PW) Project X 6.0Wedges - CG14 52* CG12 56* & CG15 DSG 60* Putter - Studio...

Note: This thread is 5503 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!